Do you want mid-battle evolutions? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

166 73.45%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

52 23.01%
  • Other

8 3.54%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

No. It would put battles on a whole new level of annoying. I'd hate to have a battle come to a grinding halt just because my Pokemon is evolving. And then if the trainer's Pokemon is evolving? My DS better be ready to get acquainted with the wall on the other side of the room.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Though, wouldn't it be fun if the Shellgon you've been raising evolved into a Salamance halfway through battle? :D

That would be nice, because I hate when I over-level a pokémon (when a pokémon evolves at Lv. 30, but it evolves at Lv. 32).

I think it would give more of a challenge, so yeah, that would be cool.

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

Yes I have actually thought a lot about this myself and I would find it very interesting. It would come in handy if your pre-evolutions can't keep up and need that little extra punch.

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

I think mid-battle evolutions sound awesome, particularly if opponents / Gym Leaders' pokemon could. In the recent games, the Gym Leaders pop up and say stuff like 'Oh yeah? We haven't even started yet!' or whatever, so instead of that, they's pop out, shout something inspirational to their pokemon, and they'd evolve. I don't think they would get back any HP or anything (though even that, from a gameplay point of view, would be no different than the Gym Leader using a potion), but it would add drama and excitement to the battles. Yes, it would be weird and new, but held items and triggered abilities were once new and nobody complained that they were broken. As far as evo-stones and Rare candies are concerned, you can't use those items in battle anyway, so it's a non-issue.
    What would be totally rad would be if you could evolve and Eevee in mid-battle the way that Red does in the manga... but that, from a technical perspective, would be nigh on impossible... unless Eeveelutions worked like Rotom's formes... but that would require rewriting the way an Eevee evolves in the first place, so scratch that; bad idea.

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

just curious but were you intending for their to be secondary/and or any side affects to it? such as having their entire hp bar replenished/recovered? if so that would put a complete disadvantage for the other opponent. or is this just a straight up evolution?

also is this a in game thing only,or would this carry on to online? i know were speaking hypothetically but im curious on how this would work as i at one point wanted this type of thing to happen,but never could figure out how they could get it to work/and make it fair

Hyping over Steven Stone Kyriaki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Just evolution - I guess the only secondary/side effects would be (in the case of some pokemon) gaining secondary types. So if a Charmeleon evolved into a Charizard half-way through battle, the opponent won't be able to use Earthquake anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier952 View Post
    If the only way to evolve was through leveling up naturally with Exp then yes this would be amazing
    Basically this.

It would very cool if Pokémon could evolve between the rounds :D

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Akai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Then let's say the opponent's pokemon also has a chance to evolve - how about that?
    No. No. No. No. I would hate that forever if that happened. And that gives NPCs too much of an advantage. You wonder why NPC Pokemon never gain experience during trainer battles? That's why. Too much of an unfair disadvantage to the player.

And, too taxing on the coding.
    That's hilarious. That really is. Players have a ridiculous number of advantages over the NPCs, given that 99% of them don't have 6 Pokemon or decent AI. Plus the player character can use as many items as they can afford, can use any Pokemon and movesets possible and they have the option of the "Shift" battle system... Players have so many advantages that giving NPCs one of the advantages players have (experience) wouldn't give them the advantage - it just means the NPCs have something they aren't completely inferior to the players in.

Anyway, I think it would be cool if it were able to be done the way Pokemon Special does it - you can hold off your Pokemon's evolution so that you can use it in battle to quickly turn the tides on your opponent. It'd make battles more exciting.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I love the idea, perhaps just between rounds when exp is gained anyway, if nothing else. I can't believe people think it'd give NPCs an advantage when we already have the odds stacked far in our favour with NPCs - and it's not like you couldn't find out and cover for the possibility in advance anyway, just the way so many people already do with big battles. It's entirely possible (not because it's been seen in the anime/manga, no, but because why the hell would it not be?) and I think it'd make battles much more exciting for both parties.

God forbid a new and potentially very exciting feature should make you have to think about accounting for more possibilities/make battling a little bit more difficult if you're not prepared. Isn't this precisely what happens whenever a new feature is added to the battling mix? People don't want the game made "harder" but in another breath welcome other changes and talk about how dynamic and exciting they are or complain when the present features get stale/predictable?

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ alpacasso forums ~

Blog Entries

As cool as that would be, I don't think it would be fair to do in the games. Sure, it would make the game more like the anime, but I can't help but think it would be a little unfair and could easily be abused. For example if you're battling someone NPC or not and it's a really close battle, then bam the opponent uses a stone to evolve the pokemon, permanently raising its stats, wouldn't you find it a little unfair. I think it's a annoying when the elite four use full restore, so I know I would rage if my opponents pokemon just evolved right there in battle. Also if users were aloud to do this in a wifi battle, then couldn't the opponent just get a hack for rare candy and use several of them in the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisyko View Post
    As cool as that would be, I don't think it would be fair to do in the games. Sure, it would make the game more like the anime, but I can't help but think it would be a little unfair and could easily be abused. For example if you're battling someone NPC or not and it's a really close battle, then bam the opponent uses a stone to evolve the pokemon, permanently raising its stats, wouldn't you find it a little unfair. I think it's a annoying when the elite four use full restore, so I know I would rage if my opponents pokemon just evolved right there in battle. Also if users were aloud to do this in a wifi battle, then couldn't the opponent just get a hack for rare candy and use several of them in the battle.
    The Elite 4 never complain when we use Full Restore, and also switch Pokemon, and also how our Pokemon level up mid battle, why should we complain when they just get the opportunity to do the same thing?

Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

Only if the Pokemon reached evolution level to evolve and didn't need an item or trade. Exceptions to this could be battles in evolution locations (Twist Mtn., Eterna Forest, Chargestone Cave, etc.). It would be pretty useful if they had to evolve at the right level to learn a move and you didn't have a Heart Scale.

Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    No. It would put battles on a whole new level of annoying. I'd hate to have a battle come to a grinding halt just because my Pokemon is evolving. And then if the trainer's Pokemon is evolving? My DS better be ready to get acquainted with the wall on the other side of the room.
    This is even better then mid battle evolutions. Having your opponent beat a Pokemon of yours, and them getting the sweet result of an evolved Pokemon would be a nice twist. Hell, let the gym leaders do this, and give us a real challenge. On personal Pokemon evolutions, yes its something we needed a long time coming. Hate reaching the preferred level of evolution in the beginning of a long battle, and having to wait for it to be over to get the new mon.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast