Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

View Poll Results: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Evolving during a battle would be much more exciting

166 73.45%
  • No - Evolving after a battle is much more exciting

52 23.01%
  • Other

8 3.54%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

Inspired by a certain post - I'll attach the link soon.

In the anime, we often saw pokemons evolving half-way through a battle, and turn the tables in many ways.

In the games, however, no matter how many levels we gain, we always have to evolve AFTER the battle is over.

Do you want pokemons to evolve during battle? Like, they could evolve the moment they gain the right level, or you could use a stone on them when you think you need it.

For me, I want pokemons to evolve during a battle. Then it would be totally unpredictable - and much more exciting :)

Ѵαηqμίşℎℯr ℴƒ ℳℴrℸαℓş Black Dragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you want mid-battle evolutions?

I agree with you. It would add a lot more excitement to the battle.

Never in mid-battle (i.e. I don't think you should be allowed to use a Rare Candy or evolution stone in the battle and make it evolve).
    Between rounds, maybe. They can gain levels and learn new attacks between rounds, afterall, and evolution isn't much different.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    (i.e. I don't think you should be allowed to use a Rare Candy or evolution stone in the battle and make it evolve).
    I agree with this statement. And I personally think it would give players way too much of an advantage, especially if Rare Candies or stones can be used in battle.

Not to mention, I think evolution in mid-battle would be too taxing on the coding.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

I guess your right. If you could just level up your pokemon right in battle that would be too cheap. It would give too much of an advantedge to the player.

If the only way to evolve was through leveling up naturally with Exp then yes this would be amazing
    yourlilemogirl likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

No, it's fine how it is. That game probably can't stop the battle just to evolve a Pokemon, which is why it has to happen after the battle is over, even if the level requirement (or move requirement for some) is met. I'm sure they've given this thought before, but the programming probably prevents it.

Also, if you think about it this way, if you're Pokemon evolves after the battle, it's kind of like an extra reward for winning.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Then let's say the opponent's pokemon also has a chance to evolve - how about that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Then let's say the opponent's pokemon also has a chance to evolve - how about that?
    No. No. No. No. I would hate that forever if that happened. And that gives NPCs too much of an advantage. You wonder why NPC Pokemon never gain experience during trainer battles? That's why. Too much of an unfair disadvantage to the player.

And, too taxing on the coding.
    Mokoniki likes this.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

You mean, the NPC's Pokemon gaining Exp. Points too? Seems like a bit much. Can't see that ever happening. That's why they usually bump up the levels of Pokemon of the trainers we can rebattle.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Blog Entries

It would put more effort on GF but that would be awesome!

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Yes, definitely. Other than the technical reasons, I don't see why the Pokemon should have to wait until the end of a battle to evolve, and it would make for some incredible gym leader fights. It could also create some new and interesting evolution methods. (Maybe some Pokemon could actually only evolve if hit by a specific move in combat, like an Electric Pokemon evolves when hit by Discharge)

Who is this git?

As for "evolution between rounds being impossible / difficult to program", it's not. It's really not much different from teaching a new attack or levelling up (and gaining stats) between rounds, except for the fact that multiple variables are being changed. Maybe in Generation I there wasn't enough memory for something like that (I really have no idea) but it's not a problem at all now.

As for opponent's Pokémon levelling up and evolving... that would be nice. They could then incorporate it into some of the battles like it was in the anime (Sabrina's Abra evolving, Koga's Venonat evolving). The only problem would be that it would require significantly more variables in the code... you'd have to store variables for every opponents's Pokémon's experience points along with storing whether or not every opponents's Pokémon have evolved. Could the game handle it? Probably. It'd seem a bit superfluous to allow it on every opponent though (rather than the main ones).

Also, if you think about it this way, if you're Pokemon evolves after the battle, it's kind of like an extra reward for winning.
    That I agree with... but that's the only reason I may not want to see evolution in battle possible.

Blog Entries

That would be awsome! It would give an equal advantedge to the player and the opponent.

Follow Jenni on Tumblr

I would say no, evolution usually comes with a rather large stat boost, which honestly, would take a lot of the fun out of the battle - having your pokemon become suddenly much stronger mid-fight just seems rather cheap. Not to mention, it would ruin the flow of the battle. Stopping for an evolution animation between fights would just be obnoxious and throw off the entire tempo of the fight.
    Check out my LP channel, I do mostly roguelikes. https://www.youtube.com/rogueswonderland

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast