Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing? - Page 5

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

I think the transition to a Western setting is something fresh. Frankly, I was tired of walking around in a grassy, boring setting, and this game has detailed cities and a whole royalty background.

I still wouldn't consider it that much of a kiss-up to Western culture. There are still many things about the game that kind of indicates Japanese pop culture, such as the uniformed-students and the presence of Darumakka and it's evolution, for few.

OSHAWHAT?

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and Whote is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by /Zer0 View Post
    Hopefully B/W will bring in a whole new generation of players from all over the world...
    Every gen does that, regardless...

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

Well it does seem to be more west like all though there is still alot of jap in the games such as the cloud trio.

Blog Entries

I don't see any problem with it being based on America. It seems like GameFreak just wanted to do something a little different. I think it's a great idea. Some day I'd like to see Pokemon regions based on other countries like Morocco, India, Norway, etc.

I don't really get the whole race issue. Though it is nice to see characters with different skin tones.

Follow Gigatron On Twitter

I have to be honest, I didn't see it as being any more "westernised" than prior generations. Yeah, sure, Johto was very Japan-esque, but in later Gens you had such places as Sootopolis (explicitly based on Greece), Oreburgh, and the tropical-looking Fortree city, to name a few. Those places were distinctly non-Japanese, even more so than Isshu.

For me, the Japanese-ness of the Pokémon games has always been a part of why I love them, and I see no lack of this in Isshu, there's just a very broad range of inspirations for aesthetics, but the way the dialogue is written (etiquette-wise, slang terms, etc) and little nuances (people are often sitting on cushions, not chairs, the scampering salarymen/OL's, friggin' Hachiku) keep the eastern flavour in.

And for all the talk of New York, while it has been the general inspiration (more so for the layout and for Hiun City), there's really almost nothing overly "New York-y" about it. Hiun City could just as easily be any big city worldwide (hell, it's incredibly similar to Tokyo), and there's a huge mix of other influences in the rest of the towns. Hodomoe and Shippou are very "wild-west" like, Raimon is somewhat Las Vegas looking, the Ancient Castle is very Egyptian, and hell, Sekka city is more European than anything else (a distinct Celtic vibe surrounds it).

Long post, yes. TL;DR: They haven't beaten people over the head with "Westernness" any more than previous generations, and the influences are drawing from many places, not just New York. And, for those that enjoy it, the basic Japanese flavour is still there in spades.

As for the race thing, I for one am glad to see such characters. To western eyes it might not mean anything, but that this is coming from the notoriously xenophobic Japan, and that it's been done so tastefully, it's a very positive thing.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tacit Giga View Post
    I have to be honest, I didn't see it as being any more "westernised" than prior generations. Yeah, sure, Johto was very Japan-esque, but in later Gens you had such places as Sootopolis (explicitly based on Greece), Oreburgh, and the tropical-looking Fortree city, to name a few. Those places were distinctly non-Japanese, even more so than Isshu.
    Spoiler: Alto Mare is Venice.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Anorith used X-Scissor!

I like that it contains a few more references to America than normal, and the fact we get a cowboy gym leader is even MORE amazing. I also like the fact we still have mons like Darumakka and the three legendary dragons of Isshu. (As well as the various Godzilla mons...seriously Sazandora is awesome.)

Blog Entries

Though it is still technically up for debate where Isshu's basis is, I don't think the Westernization of Pokemon is altogether a bad thing.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." -George S. Patton
    Arceus is a false god. Only science knows the true answer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Though it is still technically up for debate where Isshu's basis is, I don't think the Westernization of Pokemon is altogether a bad thing.
    Isshu's basis is already set up by now; whether you want to take Masuda's words as a literal fact or as a misleading meaning is just up to you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RudolphMilotic View Post
    Isshu's basis is already set up by now; whether you want to take Masuda's words as a literal fact or as a misleading meaning is just up to you.
    Venator just wants to continue to debate it, as far I've seen.
    Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic.
    Fanclub for an underloved Trash Pokemon...
    JP White FC: Joey 5457 5199 6851
    EN Black FC: Lipanda 3825 7876 0484

Blog Entries

I still fail to see where this "westernization" of Pokemon is coming from. What, being based on New York? Still feels like all the other Pokemon games.

We have a cowboy as a gym leader? We had then as trainer classes previously. Black people? Not the first visible minority in the games. Baseball, Basketball, Football, Soccer and Tennis? I'm sure they have those games in Japan as well (and if I recall correctly, Baseball is a favourite there), so really, what's the difference between them and triathletes and swimmers of past generations? The starters are equal part western culture, Japan and China so nothing biased there. The only difference between this and past generations is they outright stated where they were from, I mean Empoleon looks like European royalty, and Charizard based on European dragons.

Sure the Veteran trainer class looks more westernized, but the Battle Girl trainer class now looks like a Chinese martial artist, which really isn't anything new.

I preffered these games being set in Asia. Everything is always set in America/Europe and I'm really getting sick of it. But above all of that is that nothing is based on anything real anymore. Most things in the older games were based on a real thing (exept obvious ones like the desert in Hoen) eg, Bell Tower: Ginkaku-ji.
    Scince when were there mountains in new york. The only things based on real life are a few bridges.
    If there are many more things based on real life I will retracet my statement.
    platinum 1076 4777 9344

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

When were there deserts, jungles, and volcanoes in Kyushu?

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

I meant things like citys, buildings and landmarks. Also I said a lot of things are real, obviously not everything.
    edit: there actualy are volcanos in Kyushu
    platinum 1076 4777 9344

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

the westernization isn't noticeable in game. So it has no effect on the game.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast