Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing? - Page 4

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and Whote is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    You make it sound like she got retconned out of existence. All they did was change her art to look less like a mammy stereotype (which I assume was completely accidental on their part). Her updated artwork is on her bulbapedia page and on the official japanese site.
    I didn't mean to sound so shocked. I was just wondering what that meant.
    Pearl Friend Code: 1291 2545 7849
    SoulSilver Friend Code: 0818 8208 1485
    Black Friend Code: 0991 6650 0021

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post

And please inform me of a black character being removed from Pokemon in the past? And if you try to claim Jynx, then I'll know you really don't understand the situation at all. Frankly, the implication that Jynx and Aloe are the same character that you're making (Jynx is the closest thing the franchise has had to a removed African character) is frightening and disturbing, to say the least considering that Jynx is an inhuman, offensive caricature of the outdated gollywog trope, kept as a pet and servant by white people.
    You sure Jynx was based on those gollywog dolls? I always seen Jynx as some kind of ganguro ice spirit sort of like frosslass.

Also, Golliwogs had big wooly hair and a freakish grin (two traits that are not evident in Jynx).

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    You make it sound like she got retconned out of existence. All they did was change her art to look less like a mammy stereotype (which I assume was completely accidental on their part). Her updated artwork is on her bulbapedia page and on the official japanese site.
    Where does it say the art was changed to reflect that?

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    He's too light-skinned for being African. Maybe North African, Hispanic or Arabian; but certainly not "Black".

Iris and Aloe is more likely characters for being black...
    After hearing Iris outfit is apparently a Dashiki (a traditional african dress) it's quite possible she could be black.
    Last edited by JordanN; 19th October 2010 at 01:07 AM.

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and Whote is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Life Alert View Post
    The only problem I'd see the localization team having is Aloe, and it's been indicated she's going to be edited in all versions of Black and White, even future Japanese versions.

They're not going to edit trainer classes for being black.
    I don't see why they'd change her, what about one of the elite four members? The fighting type guy? I don't see any logical reason outside madness why they'd want to change her.

I'll never understand why people would get upset when Aloe is represented as a Gym Leader, someone with power and influence. Surely that's a good thing?

I just checked the bulbapedia page for Aloe, the apron was changed. I don't particularly care too much about the apron really. Although not it looks ridiculous like she has some sort of cape. I was more worried they'd make or white or something. :/
    Planned Pokemon White Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzard View Post
    I'll never understand why people would get upset when Aloe is represented as a Gym Leader, someone with power and influence. Surely that's a good thing?
    She's also supposed to be a smart woman, who studies fossils and may be an Archeologist. People complain about it because of the Apron, not because of her character.
    Which to be, is very stupid.
    Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic.
    Fanclub for an underloved Trash Pokemon...
    JP White FC: Joey 5457 5199 6851
    EN Black FC: Lipanda 3825 7876 0484

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzard View Post
    I don't see why they'd change her, what about one of the elite four members? The fighting type guy? I don't see any logical reason outside madness why they'd want to change her.

I just checked the bulbapedia page for Aloe, the apron was changed. I don't particularly care too much about the apron really. Although not it looks ridiculous like she has some sort of cape. I was more worried they'd make or white or something. :/
    A woman in power? Yeah, I can see why that's controversial...1960s and all that...feminism being the source of ready meals and obesity (and while I am trying to be humorous, it's true. In the 1960s, we men couldn't cook xD).

Looking at Aloe...why did they change her Sugimori artwork? They didn't want the "Women Cook" or "Black Mama" stereotype? (Although to be fair, he trainer title is "Natural-born Mama" >>). But I have to laugh at how she still has her apron xD

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

More refreshing for me. =3
    I love the changes. I wonder if pokemon will come to England! =O

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    A woman in power? Yeah, I can see why that's controversial...1960s and all that...feminism being the source of ready meals and obesity (and while I am trying to be humorous, it's true. In the 1960s, we men couldn't cook xD).

Looking at Aloe...why did they change her Sugimori artwork? They didn't want the "Women Cook" or "Black Mama" stereotype? (Although to be fair, he trainer title is "Natural-born Mama" >>). But I have to laugh at how she still has her apron xD
    Her title is natural-born proprietor.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Bulba's page has it back to Mama because it's rarely ever used in that context. Is what I gathered from the discussion page
    Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic.
    Fanclub for an underloved Trash Pokemon...
    JP White FC: Joey 5457 5199 6851
    EN Black FC: Lipanda 3825 7876 0484

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KPTitan View Post
    A little FYI you guys... there are non-whites who are light-skinned. Relying on somebody's mere skin color to make an assumption of what race they are is asinine...
    AMEN brother! That'll preach! You wouldn't know my race from my skin-color alone... you'd need to take a quick look at my hair, too!

As to the Westernization of B/W, I think it will appeal more to Western audiences, which I assume was the goal, so it was a good idea, in my opinion. Though I can understand why others would think otherwise.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Her Bulbapedia page has it has "Natural-Born Mama".

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    Her Bulbapedia page has it has "Natural-Born Mama".
    The translation works both ways.

Just a reminder of this:

Banned Topic: Whether Aloe is a racist stereotype

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it gave more air to more added things in Pokemon. I think it was a good thing, although i would like one more "central" region in the middle of Kanto Johto Hoenn and Sinnoh
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

Follow Daxdiv On Twitter

I personally like the Westernized feel of Black and White, even if it does feel like I'm playing "What the Japanese think of America." I like how Isshu is a far away place and how they have their own ecosystem of Pokémon, and the diversity of NPC with both race and occupation. I never thought I would see the day where I would see a Baseball player, Basketball, Football, and Street Dancer trainer classes in the main games. As for the Japanese feel of the franchise, with Kanto/Johto/Sinnoh, it did feel somewhat like Japan, especially with it's industrialization. To be honest, I always thought that Hoenn was the first region that took place far away from Japan, until I learned that it's still a part of the same land as Kanto and Johto.

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PowerfulStarmie View Post
    I dunno, with Hispanic and African-American trainers in this game, it sorta loses its Japanese charm that the first four generations had. There are few aspects in B/W that remind people that this game is from Japan. It's like Game Freak is being all fan-servicey to Western countries instead of having its own original flair.
    It's not fan service; it's a perfectly viable way of introducing new Pokémon that are very similar to the existing Pokémon by saying that this game is set on the other side of the world, so the Pokémon are different; much like the animal kingdom in the real world.

It makes no difference where the game is set; Pokémon is Pokémon.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Seriously? I think it's great! The games are becoming more inclusive, and I think that's a good thing. I mean, there were always white people in the games, and nobody complained about that. And believe it or not, there are black people and Hispanic people in Japan.

I did notice that there were more things that reminded me of the U.S. in this game, but I didn't feel that was "catering" so much as acknowledging the diversity of the Pokemon consumers. It would be awesome if later versions concentrated on different parts of the world.
    I was going to say the same thing. So what if there are trainers of different races. Don't look at it as a westernisation but as an attempt at bring people together. If anything it should be used as a show of trying to bring unity through something we all can enjoy.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast