Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing? - Page 16

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

PhD Mad Science.

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

I am absolutely biased in this argument. I have a love affair with NYC. No matter what city I am in or how much fun times I have coming home to NYC always puts a smile on my face and I didn't even grow up here.

My take on it is I am extremely worried they are messing with the pattern a little bit "If it is not broke don't fix it" as they say. But change in small quantities can be invigorating and let's be honest. Even if they don't get it right the first time they introduce something new they almost always improve if not perfect it the next time around. But that's just my opinions.

Oh one last thing NEW YORKERS REPRESENT!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you think the Westernization of Pokemon Black and White is a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorYew View Post
    I am absolutely biased in this argument. I have a love affair with NYC. No matter what city I am in or how much fun times I have coming home to NYC always puts a smile on my face and I didn't even grow up here.

My take on it is I am extremely worried they are messing with the pattern a little bit "If it is not broke don't fix it" as they say. But change in small quantities can be invigorating and let's be honest. Even if they don't get it right the first time they introduce something new they almost always improve if not perfect it the next time around. But that's just my opinions.

Oh one last thing NEW YORKERS REPRESENT!
    Generally, most of the people born there kinda find New York boring, because you see it everyday. You know, all the shit you see is normal.

At least that's my experience, both for myself and a lot of people I know, lol.

/represents
    Ultimately, I serve only one master... pure logic.
    Fanclub for an underloved Trash Pokemon...
    JP White FC: Joey 5457 5199 6851
    EN Black FC: Lipanda 3825 7876 0484

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Yabukuron View Post
    Generally, most of the people born there kinda find New York boring, because you see it everyday. You know, all the shit you see is normal.

/represents
    True; I'm the same with London. So many tourists around central and the west end, but those're the normal places I'll go out to if I'm bored so I'm not so impressed.

Still, it's nice to see some diversity. I'm not sure if I like it as much yet, but I certainly don't dislike it. My only problem will be if they do it too stereotypically and don't include the true diversity of the areas they base it on. Of course, I'd love to see a game with an environment based on London. ^^' I trust Nintendo and Game Freak to do it properly, so I have no problem with it. I don't see it as "abandoning the games' roots" or anything - if you keep reusing the same rough formula, it will get old, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Of course I love the Japanese culture and the Pokemon and areas based on it, but I'm also a fan of things I haven't experienced before being brought into Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

I would agree -- a region based on Britain or Australia would be pretty cool.

PhD Mad Science.

I've been living here three going on four years now. The whole novelty has worn off. Sweden? Ya that place bores me. Five long years.

Side note: The longest I've lived in one country is five years.

I personally love that they're spreading out and making a game that takes place in America. That's just my opinion, but I'll be able to identify with it even more- the little things like the baseball stadium and stuff, everything. It's an interesting change of pace. I look forward to seeing things like that in the anime...

I'm still hoping for a game where they make every city based on a different city/landmark of the world- one based on ancient Greece, another one maybe old Europe, etc. And the starting town on a tropical island with ancient Pokemon statues and a volcano and you have to catch a ferry to go to the next town and start you adventure.

Yeah, nevermind. Never gonna happen.

I don't really see anything wrong with Black and White being Westernised, it's just to show that Unova is a long way away from the other regions. It also gives the series a sense of "going national". There are still plenty of Japanese influences though, like the Kindergarteners' outfits, and the busy streets of Castelia look a lot like Tokyo to me. And besides, no-one ever complained about the Ranchers and Cowgirls in Sinnoh. ;)
    White Team

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yabukuron View Post

/represents
    I guess it happens a lot with big cities. Everybody hates my country's capital, Santiago (Chile), because heavy traffic, smog and hard life. I was born and raised in a small city and I've lived six years here in Santiago... I like this city a lot.

BTW, Chile would be a good place for a Pokémon region, because it holds almost every climate in existence, except tropical. The north is desertic, the north-center has some vegetation, the center and center-south are plenty of forests and rainforests, and the extreme south is rather icy. And coast is present along ALL the way, varying from warm to cold water, giving the chance of different Water Pokémon depending on zone. Same for mountains. Also, Antarctic territory and Easter Island would settle good places for special events, or the league. Ah, and there's a small island in extreme south, called "Isla Nueva" (literally, New Island. Does you remind anything?). The only issue is that it's an extremely long and thin country, so the whole Pokémon journey would be at just one direction, north-south or viceversa. Thus, neither of extreme spots would fit a typical hometown, instead of Rattatas and Caterpies, the first stuff the player would deal are desert Pokémon (north) or ice Pokémon (south). Unless the hometown is set near center, leaving the rest for post-E4.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

They wanted to do this to give Pokefans a fresh start, such as only new Pokes before the National Dex, dark skinned characters, version exclusive characters (i.e Iris and Drayden) and locations (i.e Black City and White Forest), first female Professor (she's in fact the first Professor in the games since Professor Oak to reveal her given name).

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

Juniper only has a first name in the English version

So that barely counts

and also, we know already....

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516