Do you have any self-imposed rules? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

Ganbare Lizardon!! Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Default Re: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

– I never use legendaries on my team. (The only time I broke this rule is when I played through SoulSilver, I used Lugia because it's my favorite legendary and it was the first Pokemon game I played since the original Silver ^^;)
    – I always name my Pokemon "people” names (Leonardo the Swanna, Roxanne the Excadrill, etc.) The only exception is my starter.
    – I never ditch my starter
    – I like to try to have an all male team, like a ~brotherhood~ but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. My Pokabu in W2 is my first ever female starter.

Quote Originally Posted by zvinko View Post
    3.Avoid overused pkm unless you really like them(refers to all pseudo legendaries,staraptor,milotic,heracross,...) so far i've never used one bc I dislike them
    I don't mean to nitpick but surely the reason you have never used certain pokemon is because you don't like them as you finish your statement off with; not because they are overused? unless you don't like them because they are over used, but that would be silly as liking something just because everyone else doesn't or vice versa. either you don't use them because they are overused OR they aren't your personal taste.
    I must repeat that I don't mean to be having a go... honest. :)

Blog Entries

I don't Audino grind.(It makes me feel bad)
    Try to catch "The team" in Pokeballs(I think they look cool)
    Try to use different Pokemon each time I play(Keeps times fresh)

There may be more, but that's all I can think of.

Whenever i do a new playthough of any game, i always make it a point to not use any pokemon i've used before (not counting my starter). I do this for two reasons: 1) using the same pokemon all the time would get boring; and 2) by forcing myself to use pokemon i might otherwise not use, i can increase my overall knowledge and experience with as many different species as possibly. Also i just generally find it fun.

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-I like to have my main team all on the same level. When one levels up, I focus on the others with a lesser level.

-I face my character forward when saving because it looks weird if they turn and save when standing sideways.

-Haven't used a legendary on my main team since Silver. I only use legendaries on the side or to level grind them.

-Save the Master Ball for a roaming legendary, if not, then most likely a shiny.

-Stock up on Quick Balls for those legendary and shiny encounters.

-Use different Pokemon on teams in each game. (exception: remakes)

PKMN Master (in training) trainer_ebony's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ive gained afew over the years.

-Nickname all pokemon used on my team
    -No rare candys for levels. (Ive used them more creatively in combination with healing items as revives durring the E4)
    -Use basic Pokeballs as much as possible. (Others can be used on the more difficult catches, but only as a last resort)
    -Keep levels generally even among my team
    -Dont try to train too many pokemon early on. Train 3 at a time MAXIMUM before a certain point.
    -If opponent has the same pokemon as me, use mine against it. (Ex: My Ruru (Haxorus) Vs. Iris' Haxorus)
    -No running from battle.
    -Dont use the same pokemon ive used before.
    Pokemon Black- 3439-6961-3323
    Pokemon Black2-4342-0303-5375

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    I face my character forward when saving because it looks weird if they turn and save when standing sideways.
    HA! I do that as well. I always save in a house or pokemon centre near the seats or something.

PKMN Master (in training) trainer_ebony's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel789 View Post
    I face my character forward when saving because it looks weird if they turn and save when standing sideways.
    HA! I do that as well. I always save in a house or pokemon centre near the seats or something.
    I do that too, but in the center of the pokeball on the pokemon center floor instead of on a chair. Though its less of a rule and more of a habbit. I suppose it does have to do with my rule to heal up my pokemon before turning the game off though :P
    Pokemon Black- 3439-6961-3323
    Pokemon Black2-4342-0303-5375

Blog Entries

my rules
    -try to at least use every other Pokemon (started this Black 2)
    -catch every Pokemon in a Pokeball (unless its a shiny legendary, I'm going to chuck a Masterball at that thing to prevent rage for not getting it)
    -nickname every Pokemon I get (it just makes it a challenge since I have to sit there and think for a while)
    -try to complete the Pokedex in every version (Black 2 is just a bit more challenging for me)
    -have fun

Quote Originally Posted by trainer_ebony View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel789 View Post
    I do that too, but in the center of the pokeball on the pokemon center floor instead of on a chair. Though its less of a rule and more of a habbit. I suppose it does have to do with my rule to heal up my pokemon before turning the game off though :P
    I do it in the ball as well, the chairs are more for houses on routes. It just aesthetically looks good.

-No legendaries. ( duh )
    -No superomgwtfsklfsgjksdh powerful non-legends, either.
    GTFO, Garchomp.
    -Pokémon should be defeated, as much as possible, corresponding to EVs given.
    This means I sometimes have to fight disadvantageous battles.
    -Stick to Pokémon I like, even if they're not very strong.
    I find this actually makes victories more satisfying!
    -Nickname every Pokémon.
    This presents a creative challenge, and makes it feel more personal. I come up with pretty clever ones, sometimes!
    -Pokéballs should match the Pokémon aesthetically.
    This started because of Gen IV pokeball stickers. I miss those!
    eg., my Jellicent♀ was caught in a Heal Ball.
    -Most important rule: have fun!

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Eh, I only have a few "rules." xP

- I don't ditch my starter for any reason. Really because it's always a starter I like enough to keep on my team.

- I don't use an HM slave.

- I keep my team members no more than 2-3 levels apart (generally. Sometimes there's that Pokemon I catch at a much lower level than the others and have to train it up until its level is about the same as the others)

I generally don't use legendaries in the main story either, but I did use Reshiram in Black because it seemed proper in that case. I also keep Keldeo in my party in Black, but I don't actually use him. I just love the cute little pony too much to put him away in the PC! <3

Darkrai is unstoppable!!! Shadowlord XD's Avatar
    Add Shadowlord XD on Facebook
    Visit Shadowlord XD's Youtube Channel

awesome thread!:)
    -nick name every pokemon i will use in my party
    -every pokemon in my party must be of different types(exceptions goes to legendary pokemon)
    -reserve one slot in my party for hm slave or legendary pokemon
    -battle the elite four with only five pokemon
    -my starter pokemon must be only 1 level higher than my other pokemon(excluding legendaries)
    -battle every trainer possible before battling a gym leader/elite four

*Always plan my team ahead including Abilities, Natures, Genders and Movesets and try to stick to that plan as closely as possible (which most of the time means searching for hours trying to find the ideal pokemon)
    *But I use only pokemon that I like, no matter how strong they are
    *I try not to train the same Pokemon multiple times
    *Always catch my main team in Pokeballs
    *I evolve my Pokemon only before or after important battles (Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Rivals, Villainous Teams etc.)

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

-Use a starter for the main gig up till the league.
    -Have a balanced team that always if possible has Ampharos and Flygon in it.
    -Use other Pokemon for the post league bits, including the league.
    -Catch Pokemon like nuts and don't give a damn about catching certain natures.
    -However, any team Pokemon depending on type and the moves it shall learn are very specified when it comes to natures, such as emboar is a Pokemon I couldn't care about if it lost some speed due to its nature and so on so forth.
    -Use as many regional Pokemon before a league. If needed Ampharos and Flygon cover the dragon bits and electric bits. Which is rare, because the regional ones are usually pretty damn useful or plainly better.
    -Never train bug Pokemon without an EXP share, far too bitter from useless drolls of grinding going back and forth from route/forest to PC cause of low HP.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast