Do you have any self-imposed rules? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

Default Re: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

I refuse to Surf or Fly on a pokemon that wouldn't realistically be able to do that.

when facing Gym Leaders/Rivals/E4 use the same amount of Pokemon as opposition.

when challenging a gym it has to be done all in one without a trip to the gym (unless you lose of course!)

I Don't like using legendaries in main storyline; why did the the three musketeers have to be so middle-of-the-route-flirty in BW2? hated being forced to capture Reshiram/Zekrom in BW as well...

no cheating/hacks; not that I know how to to be honest...

I'm sure I have more...

Follow bubbie on Tumblr

It's nice seeing that a few people have the same self-imposed in-game rules as me! Here are mine:

-No legendaries. Ever. I consider them cheating.
    -I never use the bike unless I'm breeding for natures. I've always preferred running, ever since the running shoes were introduced.
    -Never more than one of the same type in a team. And usually I try to have every one of my Pokemon to be a dual-type.
    -Catch every Pokemon in an area before moving on.
    -No repels unless in a hurry or my team is dying in a cave.
    -All Pokemon must be the same level. I always rotate my Pokemon based on level and base HP (i.e. a Pokemon with a lower level and HP goes out first). I'll usually even do this even if that Pokemon is at a type disadvantage, unless it's really in trouble.
    -Always carry at least 12 Balls.
    -Talk to every NPC.
    -Nickname every Pokemon.

I think that's it! It seems like more when i have it written down like that haha. But this is how I've always played!
    Last edited by bubbie; 21st October 2012 at 02:02 PM.

All pokemon must be caught with Quick Balls
    Check out my group: Talk to me!

another one...

I always try to match up the ball to the Pokemon. but most of the time I just use Pokeball's as I find some of the others ugly.

Oh and I like to give reasons on why they leave. for example I just defeated champion on BW2 and I left my Sawsbuck at home, and my Amphoros at the Ranch where I caught it.

I always pick nicknames now too. put alot of thought into them!

Follow vulpix On Twitter Add vulpix on Google+
    Follow vulpix on Tumblr

I try to level my pokemon up evenly. (which you're supposed to)
    And I try not to play though a game with the same pokemon in my party. (with the exception of vulpix, which I've used multiple times.)
    (I am "vulpix" in the bulbagarden irc chat! Come talk to me!) (I like black women!)

Blog Entries

I have a rule ABOUT having to capture any legendary before I E4 beat the game. Some of the best fights are me trying to capture a hooh or cobalion without sleep or false swipe etc.

I like to theme playthroughs.

Platinum I did 3 starters from 3 diff generations.
    HG I did found mid game ubers getting dratini from game corner and lavitar from safari.
    Black 2 was the four musketeers. Started with keldeo catch rest.
    White 2 be an eevee adventure on challange mode. Start with 6 eevees

Blog Entries

1. Talk to every single person in the game
    2. Collect all items in an area
    3. Catch every pokemon in an area
    4. The other 5 pokemon have to be at most 5 levels less than my starter.
    5. Don't use legendaries in a battle, unless they have been trained since level 15 or lower. Or were caught right before a battle with the bad guys, so Zekrom when fighting N in B/W.
    5. Try to not use healing items during battle. I'll sometimes break this one when fighting the elite four.
    6. Only spend money in small quantities. Since I collect so many items I never feel like I need to buy a lot anyway.
    7. Never sell items, even the ones made for selling.
    8. Nickname every pokemon
    9. Try to use pokemon that I haven't used previously, and try to have a balanced types.
    10. Check every garbage can for items.

Blog Entries
    Add Jammy2A on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    I have a rule ABOUT having to capture any legendary before I E4 beat the game. Some of the best fights are me trying to capture a hooh or cobalion without sleep or false swipe etc.

I like to theme playthroughs.

Platinum I did 3 starters from 3 diff generations.
    HG I did found mid game ubers getting dratini from game corner and lavitar from safari.
    Black 2 was the four musketeers. Started with keldeo catch rest.
    White 2 be an eevee adventure on challange mode. Start with 6 eevees
    I actually like themes too :D I find after a while, it's the only way I can still make it interesting. My next run: Ground type team :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy2A View Post
    I actually like themes too :D I find after a while, it's the only way I can still make it interesting. My next run: Ground type team :D
    Nice :D

Playing where every pokemon has to be Ground sounds a good challange. They kind of feel realistic given every trainer you meet seems obcessed with one specific type.

Oh and you gotta start with a Cubone...love that little guy!

I got a good one. When surfing I only use pokemon which would actually be able to battle in the water. or flying pokemon as well.

I also try to avoid using the pokemon I'm surfing on to battle with, because where would I go? for a quick swim?

I also try to keep the levels around the same. Different Pokemon peak at certain points as you tend to use a certain one for a certain gym so it gets alot of EXP but it always seems to roughly balance out. Although my Emboar on my B2 save is like lv 64 after E4 and the rest are mid 50's. his Attack stat makes him a beast.

Brazilian Jolteon Spark Eletran's Avatar
    Follow Spark Eletran On Twitter Add Spark Eletran on Facebook
    Visit Spark Eletran's Youtube Channel

Right now, my rules are the following:

- Always use the Pokémon I like the most if possible. Having 4 of the Pokémon I want catchable in the game by some mean is considered "possible", the other two will be sent as eggs as soon as possible.

- Always have someone who flies with me. Always.

- Don't grind even if I am ten levels lower than the rest of the game, except if I lose a battle (grind til I win) or if I need a party member to catch up.

- Always have AT LEAST one Pokémon with a stupid nickname that is almost always some kind of in-joke. Like Rapanese, the Samurott. The others can be just something related to them in another language or something like that.

- First, rush through a route until the next city/town. Then, explore the route since the Pokémon Center is easily accessible. Exception: If I have a partner with me that heals my Pokémon after every battle.

...yeah that's about it

Im doing a Nuzlocke run in Pokemon Yellow Version right now, so all the rules associated with a typical Nuzlocke run apply.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Oh and another I had in BW

Always rush through the dungeons until I find a nurse/doc

In DPPt

Always abuse the tag trainers to the max if I need to level grind a bit. Riley in Iron Island was the perfect training partner, and always healed me up. The most ideal place to abuse stuff like Surf or Earthquake without worrying about killing that Lucario

Blog Entries

Well... I have a few.... but these only apply for my Black 2 run (which is finished, but I am still training for post-game)

-Kill all legendaries you come across, but catch them post-game.
    -No legendaries on the team except for the version mascot
    -Nickname all Pokemon, unless unavailable (e.t.c my epic Lucario from the Dream Radar)
    -Try to put up set-up moves, unless your Pokemon lacks an appropriate one (for example, my Samurott shouldn't learn Swords Dance because it is a special attacker)
    -Healing is not allowed in battle, unless in real distress

That is it, but I noticed how flexible these rules are....

1.Water type,electric type and psychic type are must have (if it's possible ice type also!)
    2.no legendaries before or after elite four
    3.Avoid overused pkm unless you really like them(refers to all pseudo legendaries,staraptor,milotic,heracross,...) so far i've never used one bc I dislike them
    4.If it's possible use your favorites
    5.All pkm have to be on the same level
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast