Do you have any self-imposed rules? - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

Default Re: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

I refuse to use Legendary Pokemon. They're strong and all, but I personally think it's cheap to use them in battle. I also never heal my Pokemon during battle, because it wastes a turn, which makes it feel kind of redundant. I also avoiding using Pokemon that are stronger than my Starter Pokemon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    My only real "rule" is no HM Slaves. I spread HM moves throughout my team, I don't care if they're useless. I decide on one team per game, one "Main Team", and it would make no sense for them to not be with me at all times. I can always visit the HM Move Remover after I become Champion.
    That's one of my rules as well: I don't have HM slaves. If someone has an HM move, it's because they are staying in my party for a while. Having as HM move is a sign of affection; that's why my Golurk knows Fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Nickname Every Pokemon. It's not hard to summon a small bit of creative effort to make your Pokemon stand out. You really can't say you care for your Pokemon if you don't name them. It's the same with pets in real life, I never call my cat "Cat". There's no reason for me to call my Tepig "Tepig" when I can call him Flambe instead. I always get miffed when NPCs rave about how much they looooove their Pokemon, but they're not nicknamed. I know it's to save space or whatnot, but it comes off as awfully hypocritical. "You're my special partner, but you get no name". Really now...
    This, too. Everybody gets a nickname. The only ones who don't are going to be used as trade fodder and won't be staying with me. One of the major reasons Dogū is with me is because he's been named.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    - If I should nickname the pokemons, ALWAYS nickname the main team after a certain theme. For example, I once had a main team with Decepticon names from Transformers.
    O_O
    Now that is epic.

A few of my other rules:

-Leveling up = EV training. I want a strong team that's capable of taking on the next Gym and I'll do what it takes to get them ready.

-Everyone has be friendly. If my Pokemon don't like me, they get babied a bit until they do.

-Cover all bases and have a diverse team. Someone has to either be a Fire type or know a Fire type move, etc.

-Master Balls are only for roaming Legendaries or shinies. After dealing with Latios in Ruby, I will take no chances.

-No Herbal Medication. I don't care if it's cheap; if my Pokemon won't like it, I won't use it.

-Trading for old teammates is okay, but don't use them immediately.

-Make sure the team is leveled up equally. Don't let someone end up being 15 levels higher than the rest.

-Try to be the same level as the Gym Leader but they were troublesome before, all bets are off. (I was sitting at level 35 when I went after Elesa; she wasn't taking me down again!)
    Yato likes this.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

-Strongest mon is at the back, and my party goes descending from there.
    -If I've come from a tough fight, unhealthiest mon at the back and the party ascends from there.
    -Most recently caught mon battles first.

That's about it :/

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a few rules, though I'm sure there's plenty that I don't even think about consciously. Here are the ones I'm aware of:

-ALWAYS keep my Starter Pokemon.

-Starter Pokemon will always be of the same gender as the player character.

-Try using both player characters at least once.

-Related to both of the above: try using all three Starters at least once.

-Party will always, without exception, include one Grass, one Water, and one Fire type.

-Party will always, without exception, be composed of three males and three females.

-No legendary Pokemon.

-Keep the team's levels equal. The highest leveled Pokemon goes last and the lowest level Pokemon goes first.

-Always EV train the main team (except if I'm playing through a game for the very first time, as I like to do an experimental playthrough just to see what the game is like before actually delving full on into my real one.)

-Related to the above, I will only use Pokemon with a beneficial nature for them (no Relaxed Jolteon's or anything.) In order to avoid catching multiples of one Pokemon (and to make me feel a bit less like an asshole) I will manipulate this by having a Synchronize Pokemon with the desired nature lead my party when I go hunting for a Pokemon I want. I will soft reset for Starters and legends until I get a good one too.

-Before each major battle (Gym leader, Elite, Evil Team Boss, etc) I will choose a reasonable benchmark and I will get my whole team to that mark before going into battle (for example, Marlon's best Pokemon is a level 51 Jellicent. My team was around level 48 when I finished off all the gym trainers. I decided my benchmark would be 55, so I did not battle Marlon until my whole team was level 55.)

-No repeated Pokemon within different versions of the same Generation.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll remember more later.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Visit wc662's Youtube Channel

when playing games that are new to me (Pearl atm) I try my best to catch every pokemon I see in an area. Although I have to admit, I gave up after Onix broke out of 20 pokeballs on low health (and I don't even want it for my team). Old replays, I only catch what I'll use.
    I never have anything of the same type on my team, secondary types counted.
    Lowest level Pokemon go first, even leveling for everybody.
    Talk to EVERY NPC, sometimes twice.
    Generally spend up all my money on necessities before moving on to the next town, area.

Though I will break from habit if I feel like it. Whatever's fun. This Pearl game I'll try to not exit Gyms to use Pokecenters for an added challenge.
    INSANITY ISN'T JUST ACCEPTABLE - IT'S THE NORM

Blog Entries

I will always try to get my team to a certain level (usually multiples of 5) by the time I battle gym leaders. (cheren 15, Roxie 20, Burgh 25...)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

My rules include:

-Try to keep my Pokemon at the same level. (which is currently Level 53)
    -Never use herbal meds again.
    -Nickname surefire keepers.
    Silverwynde likes this.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

Since D/P, I've done the following (Not intentionally now that I think about it, but I've been consistent)

-Keep the starter
    -Nickname every team member with the first name that comes into my head (however ridiculous). No name raters!
    -Don't use legendaries on the in-game team
    -Spread HM's evenly around the team (No slaves!)
    -No two pokemon of the same type (or half type) on my team
    -Keep everyone's levels roughly equal

My 'rules' aren't that radical, probably similar to what quite a few others do.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Well you got a nice rules.

I don't impose one.

Feeling of being watched 99unownoak's Avatar

I used to have a rule back when I was playing gen one and two games in the good old days that I had to defeat the Elite Four and Champion without using any type of healing items at all. That was frustrating though rewarding when it was finally done and my Pokemon team was stronger than it would have otherwise been. Since then I do use healing items but I always half think to myself that it's cheating D:

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Hmm, the only rule I've regularly used is "no legends", though I have recently been following a "close levels" rule that doesn't let the highest Pokemon's level get 5 more than the lowest.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

-Keep the level of all Pokémon on a team equal as much as possible. If one is falling behind, it will be the one sent out first until it catches up.
    -No repeating types.
    -All legendaries are to be boxed.
    -All trainers in an area must be battled. If I have not done so, I cannot exit said area.
    -Stock up on supplies. 10 of each status healer, 15 potions, 10 super potions, and 7 hyper potions. If possible. Also, always carry an escape rope or two.
    -Never ditch starter. Always nickname starter.
    -Main team should have a pokémon that can Fly and a Pokémon that can Surf.

Real original, I know.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Unless I HATE a certain Pokemon, I must use every Pokemon in the game. I usually start new games but don't allow any Pokemon into my team that I've raised before, but sometimes I won't let myself use the same Pokemon more than once to beat the Pokemon League (and boss rematches, in more recent games).
    Also, there must be no more than a two-level difference between your strongest and your weakest team members. The only exception is if you caught an especially powerful special Pokemon, or received a powerful event Pokemon. If these are added to you team, you may not use them until all other team members are at an equal level. So if they're really far ahead they can be dead weight for a really long time.

I really enjoy doing this in the newest games; the wild Pokemon are closer to the levels of your Pokemon than they were in the older games so it's not a huge pain to bring new team members up to speed. It's challenging facing powerful opponents with a relatively new team, but I really enjoy getting to see what each Pokemon can do. I actually ended up liking a lot of Pokemon I wouldn't ordinarily think of using (my favorite Pokemon became my favorite by doing this xD)
    Last edited by metalamor; 19th October 2012 at 06:51 PM.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Well I don't really have rules but this is what I always do in my game and I guess you could consider them rules

> nickname all the Pokémon I catch even if I can't think of anything
    > only use potions and stuff when battling a boss
    > save before battling a boss or facing a legendary Pokémon
    > talk to everyone and hope they give you free stuff
    > only buy Pokéballs (and greatballs, ultraballs, etc.), TMs, and Full Restores (and escapes ropes too, if I don't have a Pokémon who knows Dig) from the Pokémart
    > arrange my bag so its organized (I need to do it especially in BW)
    > my starter should be 1-3 levels higher than anyone else in my team
    > never use legendaries for battles, I only catch them for 'dex fillers
    > battle everyone
    > try to avoid making Pokémon faint as much as possible
    > always make Pokémon happy
    > never use cheats or hacks or whatever
    and that's all I can think of

The only rule I go by is to catch every pokemon I see if I haven't got it in my pokedex, then to forget any others unless they are shiny or different (i.e I would catch both a male and female Frillish). Burmy is the exception since I need 4; one male for Mothim and three for each Wormadam.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast