Do you have any self-imposed rules? - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you have any self-imposed rules?

Speaking off bikes, I have one rule about them. If I'm already riding one, never get off when trying to enter a building even if takes me a long time to get in due to the bike's wonly controls.
    Jammy2A, Winterdaze and Gunaydin like this.

Blog Entries

- No bike.
    - Use only the favorites, unless I am playing the game for the first time.
    - Never use more Pokémon than the Gym Leader.
    - Never catch a Pokémon just to have advantage in a battle. Example: Catching a Sandile just to make the battle against Elesa easier.
    - Never use a legendary before the post-game. I broke this self-imposed rule in White 2 because Keldeo is just too awesome for not to use.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

- Always train my Pokemon to a certain level before a certain gym.

And that's about it.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

一級空手家! Water Max's Avatar Bulbanews Writer
    Blog Entries
    Follow Water Max On Twitter Add Water Max on Facebook
    Add Water Max on Linkedin Follow Water Max on Tumblr Visit Water Max's Youtube Channel

- Always use a team with Grass, Fire, Water, Flying and Electric types (spreading the other types as secondary types and one sixth Pokémon). I can combine some of the 5 necessary types if I want to such as Water/Flying, Electric/Flying, Grass/Flying, Water/Electric or Water/Grass which will make space for a second Pokémon which is not one of the 5 required types.
    - Never use the same Pokémon in my team for different versions expect starter Pokémon. The only Pokémon I have broken this rule for are Golduck, Dragonite, Gardevoir and Luxray.
    - Never use a Master Ball. I introduced this rule in Emerald version.

I also try not to use legendary Pokémon but I have used Mew in Blue version, Latios in Sapphire version (by the Eon Ticket), the Legendary Beasts in Colosseum, Articuno in LeafGreen version and Giratina in SoulSilver version (from Sinjoh Ruins).
    Staff member of Bulbanews (Writer).
    Original Poster of the Kingdom of Pokémon [v1.5]-[v4].
    I've claimed Cacturne, Suicune, Hustle, Hydro Cannon and Gary.

- Assemble your ideal party. No matter how late in the game they appear and even if your stuck with a party of 1-3 Pokemon for more than half of the game, only the chosen ones can grant your fulfillment.
    - Even if said chosen ones aren't up to what you'd hoped they be, stick it out with them till the end and MAKE them work.
    - As of Platinum, hunt down the exact nature of said ideal monsters. You may have your chosen set, but using them to their fullest also counts.
    - Try to avoid type redundancy. This of course, requires advanced knowledge of the Pokemon within the game but sometimes you have those moments where you go: "Oh [insert] is a [type]/secondary but [insert 2] is also [type] but I had him for much longer." situations.
    - Try to make sure someone has access to electric and fire moves. Those types are versatile like nobodies business.
    - Enjoy your adventure. Take your time and explore as much as you possible can within within the restraints of the main game. This rule however, ended shooting me in the foot due to the nonsense centering around Black City but I regret NOTHING!

Blog Entries

My main rule is that my starter always has to be stronger than the rest of my team, but by no more than 5 levels. I feel that the pokemon you start out with should be the one you have the closest bond with, and that's why my starters are always the strongest on my team. I level my other pokemon up but I don't let the others get stronger than my starter until after I defeat the Champion and do all of the side quests.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

-No repeated types
    -No repeated natures or characteristics
    -No repeated beginning letters (so Emboar, Espeon and Electivire would be a no)
    -Catch all legendaries and team members in Poké balls
    -One gym a day, no more, but it's ok to skip a day
    -Continuing from the gym rule, if I just made it to a city with a gym I have to wait until the next day to challenge it
    -Catch everything possible, and evolve any that I can if they evolve soon (Lillipup-Herdier for example)
    -There must be a mix of special and physical attackers on my team
    -If they're next to each other in the PokéDex I can't raise them on the same team
    -Speak to everyone possible
    -No items used in battle, although held items are ok
    -Can't catch more than one Pokémon I'm intending to train on my team on the same day
    -No legendaries on team
    -Always have a fire, water, grass and flying type on team
    -Always restock on items at each new Mart
    -My starter always has to be at least three levels higher than the rest of the team

I think that's pretty much it. I have a lot and I don't know why x) You'd think that will all these silly rules I wouldn't enjoy the games, but if anything, I enjoy them more :I

Blog Entries

I generally don't self-impose any sort of rules, but I do always make sure to have a Fire, Water, and Grass-type on my team.

Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only restriction I've brought upon myself for my playthrough of Black 2 is that I'm going with Set as my option for Pokémon shifting - because I'm going all out this time, training all the members of my team back in Black to prepare for the Battle Subway and Pokémon World Tournament (hence the Battle Style is "Set" instead of "Shift" in order to get me in the mood. If I ever do a White 2 run with Challenge Mode active...that would be something worth preparing for.)
    Generally, though, as rule of thumb, I bring along someone who can fly and someone who can surf.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

• My team has to be at the same level. The 'Mon with the lowest HP is sent out first in a regular battle. When they move up a level, they go to the end of the list and then the 'Mon with the next lowest HP goes out first until it levels up, and so on and so forth.
    • When I catch a new 'Mon I won't waste trainer exp. on them until they're the same level as the rest of my team (and with the lack of a VS Seeker this means levelgrinding a ton in grass and caves. .-.)
    • I don't challenge a gym leader until all of my team members are at the same level as their lowest Pokémon. Fighting the gym trainers is okay, but not the gym leader.
    • My starter always has to be a part of my team. They can go in the PC for a little bit if I need a different 'Mon for something, but they're never gone for long.
    • If a Pokémon not going permanently be on my main team, I don't raise it, I just catch it for my Pokédex. Exceptions are made for the first playthrough of a game.
    • Try to avoid having more than two Pokémon with overlapping types.
    • Prior to Gen V I would avoid teaching my main party HMs at all costs, with the exceptions of Fly and Surf, after my first playthrough of Silver where I taught my Feraligatr nothing but HMs (it had Surf, Cut, Whirlpool, and Strength, iirc. orz)
    • When I have larger amounts of money, stock up on items in either fives or tens.
    • Speak to every person possible on the first playthrough.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

- The main team should be consisted of only my favorites. I usually choose my members by first impression/types, but I do sometimes choose my main team after training a bit. For example, Cranidos is a given and must-have in my team. In the case of Lucario, I raised a Riolu to a Lucario in DPPt cuz I liked its design, but then boxed it before challenging the E4 since it wasn't what I wanted. (Gallade proved to be a much better fighter than Lucario for me.)

- ALWAYS have a pokemon knowing Fly, and a pokemon knowing Surf on the main team. In short, I should ALWAYS have at least one flying-type and one water-type.

- If I should nickname the pokemons, ALWAYS nickname the main team after a certain theme. For example, I once had a main team with Decepticon names from Transformers.

- Challenging trainers/gyms/etc underleveled makes the game more fun. Never overlevel unless it's solo'ing.

- DON'T CATCH POKEMON UNLESS I ABSOLUTELY WANT IT. I don't like wasting Pokeballs on pokemons just to fill the dex. That can wait after I've done everything in the post-game and have nothing to do. If I meet a shiny... I guess that's worth using some pokeballs.

- NEVER SPEND MONEY UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. In the case of Platinum, I never even bought Repels/Revives/Potions, so by the time the Galactic event for Giratina appeared, I was literally rolling in money. Which explains why I can afford such things below.

- I should always have 200 Energy Roots, 100 Revival Herbs, 50 Full Heals (or the like) and at least 100 MooMoo Milks before I challenge the Elite Four.

- I should always have 100 Ultra Balls, 50 Dusk Balls, and one Quick Ball when catching the mascot legendary.

- Search the guidebook for cities/routes I already went through to check for anything I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    No self-imposed rules. A game as easy as Pokémon deserves to get curb-stomped by my team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    Speaking off bikes, I have one rule about them. If I'm already riding one, never get off when trying to enter a building even if takes me a long time to get in due to the bike's wonly controls.
    I feel good, knowing there's someone who I agree with. :)

Blog Entries

NO RULES EVER as i hate them because because they ruin the game for me

Quote Originally Posted by Kakuna Matata View Post
    • My team has to be at the same level. The 'Mon with the lowest HP is sent out first in a regular battle. When they move up a level, they go to the end of the list and then the 'Mon with the next lowest HP goes out first until it levels up, and so on and so forth.
    GOOD LORD, exactly like me!!!! I really thought I was the only one who had this rule!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    - ALWAYS have a pokemon knowing Fly, and a pokemon knowing Surf on the main team. In short, I should ALWAYS have at least one flying-type and one water-type.
    Not necessarily... I once used Flygon as the flier and on other playthrough, a Hidreygon as the surfer.

...Well, unless the Pokémon being a Water-Type and the other a Flying-Type is an important part of the rule.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast