Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori?

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori?

I would say the colour of the games from 3rd Generation onwards because that's where I would be seeing more often in regards to the designs, but before the 3rd Generation it would probably be the official ones because they have complete colours. However, I think I maybe starting to see Sugimori's art as the basis.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

I go with the Sugimori art; any differences in colour between the game sprites and the official artwork are down to limitations in the hardware.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mostly the anime style. Or what's on posters and stuff

Yes, that is not an option on your part, but that is what I imagine, and I guess Ken is the one drawing them? (I seriously don't know as I don't give a damn about who's doing the coloration).

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.

Blog Entries

Follow gallowsCalibrator on Tumblr

Usually, whichever I prefer. Its not like its a common occurance, or anything, though.
    But usually, the odd colours in games is due to pallette limitations.

I only play the games when it comes to the franchise, so I generally think of Pokemon as their game sprites. Then I'll see Sugimori's work and think "he is a good artist and I like what he's drawing." But I have to go with the game sprites just because thats what I stare at the most. But there are game sprites that I don't like because they screwed up Sugimori's work. Such as Quagsire in Diamond and Pearl. Quagsire has two dots as nostrils on his upper lip, but in those games, it looks like he has one. Stuff like that infuriates me.

Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sugimori. He is the real creator of the characters, not the spriter.
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    Sugimori. The games tend to vary the colors. A lot. And in Platinum, they completely changed the color scemes of a bunch of Johto Pokemon, and in most cases, they were still wrong. Look at Ursaring's DP, Pt, and HGSS sprites for comparison.

Not to mention poor Gligar...
    MAREEP IN PLATINUM. *cryface cryface*

But I just go with a mixture of both, really. The games sometimes get things wrong - like Diamond's shiny sprite of Latias.

Sugimori's art is canon. I hope he would return to the style he used in the RBY era though.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ken

hes a epic artist

Blog Entries

You know one thing that has bugged me about the games?

Red and Leaf's original sprites.

Why did they have blue eyes? Neither of them have blue eyes. Would brown eyes clash? Was it to make them pop out more?

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    If you compare a few game artworks and their game sprites, you'll notice that colors differ. It's usually shading though.

It may be due to the limited amount of colors in the games, or maybe it's Ken's coloring being off. But at times it's just odd, like Silver's eye color.

For an easy example, Silver's eyes in the intro are red while his artwork has it as gray, and his VS sprite has gray eyes for him. Almost every fanart I've seen has his eyes as red, and it would make sense since GF has a liking to making eyes and hair match, plus his concept art for gen 2 has him with red eyes.

Red is another example. His artwork has a grayish hue, but his sprite obviously is brown. Dawn is yet another example, where her artworks are both blue but leaning toward navy while almost everything else involving her or a counterpart is a brighter shade.

Which do you go by? The artwork or the games? Sugimori helps design some of the characters, so it makes sense he would know..
    Dawn ROCKS!!! Why do you think they've tweaked with her appearance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12