Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori?

Blog Entries

Default Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori?

If you compare a few game artworks and their game sprites, you'll notice that colors differ. It's usually shading though.

It may be due to the limited amount of colors in the games, or maybe it's Ken's coloring being off. But at times it's just odd, like Silver's eye color.

For an easy example, Silver's eyes in the intro are red while his artwork has it as gray, and his VS sprite has gray eyes for him. Almost every fanart I've seen has his eyes as red, and it would make sense since GF has a liking to making eyes and hair match, plus his concept art for gen 2 has him with red eyes.

Red is another example. His artwork has a grayish hue, but his sprite obviously is brown. Dawn is yet another example, where her artworks are both blue but leaning toward navy while almost everything else involving her or a counterpart is a brighter shade.

Which do you go by? The artwork or the games? Sugimori helps design some of the characters, so it makes sense he would know..
    Last edited by Somari; 14th September 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which do you go by when the colors differ? The games or Sugimori?

The games for me. Sugimori art is epic, but they are mostly light colors. Games, on the other hand, are a bit darker, so it looks better IMO.

Blog Entries

Sugimori. he designs the pokemon before they're pixelized right?

Blog Entries

I go by the official artwork as the games are limited. Yeah, Sugimori's artwork has traces of blue in her hair, but judging by how it outwardly appears black unless you look at it at a micro scale, its probably hair colour dissonance and not anime hair. Not to mention that hair can appear different colours in different lighting. Also that solid black colours don't appear well in artwork so they go for an off-black, especially those with limited colour schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    For an easy example, Silver's eyes in the introare red while his artwork has it as gray, and his VS sprite has gray eyes for him. Almost every fanart I've seen has his eyes as red, and it would make sense since GF has a liking to making eyes and hair match, plus his concept art for gen 2 has him with red eyes.
    That's just weird, but as I don't think that Sugimori colours the game sprite and the fact that eye-hair colour matches are common, it may have been a mistake on the game's part, and fanart draws what they prefer. They draw Red with a more appealing hair style most of the time.

It's ridiculous to think that the main artist for the series, with a much larger palette of colours to work with than the game's art is the one being off. Besides, the games themselves have gone back and forth within the same generation, for example, Quagsire.

Now in the case of the anime, let's admit it, most of the time their graphics are crap, and even their best graphics pale in comparison to still art by Sugimori's work (which isn't an inslult considering they have to animate full episodes versus still-art) and probably choose colours best suited for their own art style.

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

whichever i like best for each 'mon/person

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

i might be a spriter, but I favor Ken.

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

Sugimori. The games tend to vary the colors. A lot. And in Platinum, they completely changed the color scemes of a bunch of Johto Pokemon, and in most cases, they were still wrong. Look at Ursaring's DP, Pt, and HGSS sprites for comparison.

Not to mention poor Gligar...

i like official artwork better, one example being salamence. It has a blue body with red wings in artwork, yet most if not all his sprites are purple-ish body with orange wings.......odd
    AT THE END OF THIS DAY. ONE SHALL STAND, ONE SHALL FALL

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Sugimori. After all, he's the final designer.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Call me the odd one out, but I go with the game shading and coloring rather then Ken's.

Silver having red eyes is a mistake? It must be one big mistake, or it was a late change from gray (silver?) to red.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Somari View Post
    Call me the odd one out, but I go with the game shading and coloring rather then Ken's.

Silver having red eyes is a mistake? It must be one big mistake, or it was a late change from gray (silver?) to red.
    So the art director and character designer of Game Freak is the one mistaken then? Not the people who make the sprites based on those designs, and have shown inconsistency in the Pokemon's colours within the same generation, sometimes within the same game (compare VS. sprite colours to battle sprites). Making eyes red is a pretty easy mistake to make when every other character have the colours of their eyes and hair match. You even said it yourself, Silver's VS. sprite matches his official artwork, yet its unfeasible to think that the version in the game was miscoloured, when all the other depictions have the gray eyes? The eyes aren't even gray, so much as the same shade as his jacket.

So what, fanart agrees with the games? It's fanart. It also agrees that Red's hair should be down and not sticking sideways.

Blog Entries

I mentioned fanart because it seems like most people appear to go with the games, except when they don't.

And I never said Ken was wrong with Silver's eyes I said he was wrong with Dawn's hair. I just mentioned how odd it seems or how it may be a late change.

I'm more used to the games' coloring, so that's what I typically see in my mind's eye (sometimes the anime influences it).

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Ken's art. He's the one who does the final designs after all.

IT'S A CLEMUSKETEER!!! IslandWalker's Avatar
    Guatemala, the country full of COD-obsessed bullies.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chromas View Post
    I'm more used to the games' coloring, so that's what I typically see in my mind's eye (sometimes the anime influences it).
    This. I'm a spriter, so that affects it even more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast