Do you cheat in Pokémon to your game? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you cheat in Pokémon to your game?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you cheat in Pokémon to your game?

I don't like to cheat, it feels distasteful to me. I like to play fair, even if I get my can kicked into orbit as a result. The one time I tried something like that was the infinite item glitch in Gen I. I sorely regretted it. Destroyed the game completely (figuratively and literally), so I never tapped into something like that again (don't ask how that glitch wrecked my game, all I know is it did, and rendered my Blue version completely useless).

So, no, I don't cheat. I'd rather earn what I've gained in a game, not taken any shortcuts or the easy way. I will willingly spend many hours in any given game (RPGs in particular) searching for all I can at the time, discovering all the secrets I can find, and yet play with fairness. Even in a simple card game I won't pull a fast one to get an edge. I may like to win, but I like it when I win the right way. So cheating is out of the question for me.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

I added five or six Pokémon to my Black 2 Version thanks to PokéBuilder (which btw, is FEATURED on the Apple App Store lol) Loved that I was able to make my own 'mons but I didn't get addicted to it by any means. Especially when I found out they can corrupt your save files. I did cheat Ash's original team (Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard) into my game all at level 5 and with perfect stats and stuff. But that's it lol If I decided to do it for X and Y, I'd only do it to finish my Pokédex, but I doubt I will tbh.
    Last edited by BlackButterfree; 30th September 2013 at 05:16 PM.

I once owned a Gameshark, and cheated at Pokemon Ruby. I did things like walking through walls, every Pokemon was MewTwo, infinite Masterballs, that sort of thing. It was fun while it lasted, but eventually got boring, so I don't engage in that sort of thing these days.

Walking across the ocean, to the Elite 4, then triggering the hall of fame without a starter Pokemon was amusing.

M-Blaziken, so much yes Shiny Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Blaze's Youtube Channel

I used to own an Action Replay, but it stopped working a few months after I bought it (I was very careful with it, but it wasn't very stable). Maybe that's for the better, because I hacked my whole second Diamond playthough team. Thanks to that, I still own a hacked Shiny Dragonite and Shiny Gyarados and an Alakazam, Sceptile and Electivire with illegal moves. I sent these 5 over to Black 2.

I also hacked a Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus. They can't be put on the GTS and probably can't be sent to XY, though the Arceus got me a legit lvl. 1 Giratina in HeartGold.
    Shiny Blaze
    Owner of a Living Dex
    Owner of 80+ Shinies
    Obtained: 718 out of 719
    3DS Y FC: 0576-4616-1571

I use a gameshark to get event legendaries but that is all.

Blog Entries

I never have and I never will.

Each to their own, of course. Everyone is entitled to play a game however they want - that goes without saying. However, in my personal opinion, cheating to obtain Pokémon totally goes against the essence of the series as a whole. As a Pokémon fan since day 1, I still very much believe in the original sentiment of 'Gotta Catch 'Em All.' To me, that is and will always be the ultimate goal. Especially with the continued creation (let's say 'discovery' for imaginations sake) of new Pokémon. The challenge becomes greater.

As it stands, I currently have 646 out of 649 available Pokémon. The only ones I am missing are Celebi, Jirachi and Shaymin. Depending on future events and future games... I may never obtain these Pokémon. I know I could trade for them but I have a thing about actually getting them all myself. I do trade with people but only to help others out (evolutions etc.). The idea of possibly never getting those three... or the idea of one day finally getting my hands on one of them, two of them, all three... That is the kind of thing I love about Pokémon.

In terms of cheating to to get strong pokemon to battle with, perhaps with illegal move sets or whatever... well, I guess I just don't see where the satisfaction would come from.

Apologies for the very long post... I think I'm a bit excited about X&Y. We are so close people! :D

Blog Entries

I don't cheat. This game isn't hard enough to require cheating and I'm not into Shinies enough to cheat for them. As long as the pokemon created aren't outside their designated limits (like have impossible abilities or stats) then I don't care if someone uses a program to get them. Having a shiny isn't going to save them from my non-shiny volcarona's quiver dance Bug Buzz.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

The Angel of Shadows Dark Angel's Avatar

Cheating ruins the game, it makes the game to easy and its to complicated for my mind to figure out
    meow, my meowstic will amaze you with its cuteness!

I don't hack Pokémon or items, and I don't use a GameShark, Action Replay, or stuff like Pokésav.

As a matter of fact, anyone on WiFi battles who hacked their team in any way automatically loses my respect. EV training, finding the right Nature, etc. is tedious, time-consuming work. If you don't work for your "perfect Pokémon," you don't deserve it.

But for me, tweaking in DP to get to Shaymin or Darkrai using just your game, your DS, and your button-mashing skills ISN'T cheating. That takes at least an hour of time and some degree of hand-eye coordination, plus willingness to risk your save file... way trickier than downloading the necessary event item and taking a boat or walking to Newmoon Island/Flower Paradise.
    Using glitches also isn't cheating if you don't use an external device to activate them.

☆ Bulbapedia has a walkthrough project! Spread the love! ☆

Visit Vulcan's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Rock_Steel View Post
    I don't hack Pokémon or items, and I don't use a GameShark, Action Replay, or stuff like Pokésav.

As a matter of fact, anyone on WiFi battles who hacked their team in any way automatically loses my respect. EV training, finding the right Nature, etc. is tedious, time-consuming work. If you don't work for your "perfect Pokémon," you don't deserve it.

But for me, tweaking in DP to get to Shaymin or Darkrai using just your game, your DS, and your button-mashing skills ISN'T cheating. That takes at least an hour of time and some degree of hand-eye coordination, plus willingness to risk your save file... way trickier than downloading the necessary event item and taking a boat or walking to Newmoon Island/Flower Paradise.
    Using glitches also isn't cheating if you don't use an external device to activate them.
    Harsh
    Maybe someone doesn't have the time to grind and ev train and they want to play competitively? If they use legitmate abilitys and moves then it's fine. Maybe they don't want to devote so many hours of their life grinding for random numbers and natures.

FC (3DS) Pokemon X: 5129-1070-1280 Signature by me
    Official claimer of Breloom@Vulcan

Registered User JoseAndresCelada's Avatar
    Follow JoseAndresCelada On Twitter
    Follow JoseAndresCelada on Tumblr

I used to cheat a lot in my Diamond game. I feel terrible about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice_Rock_Steel View Post

Harsh
    Maybe someone doesn't have the time to grind and ev train and they want to play competitively? If they use legitmate abilitys and moves then it's fine. Maybe they don't want to devote so many hours of their life grinding for random numbers and natures.
    That's the thing. There are people who don't have access to a cheating device, or don't know how to use one, and so they devote hours of time to EV training and such, only to face people online who can make the same team in 10 minutes... doesn't that seem just a little unfair?

(P.S. I'm not trying to start a flame-war, I'm just wondering.)

☆ Bulbapedia has a walkthrough project! Spread the love! ☆

Follow Combusken on Tumblr

Cheating isn't "wrong" to me but it's not something I do in my games. The only time I cheated wasn't even in an official game (ROM hack).

(yet I think taking advantage of in-game glitches/flaws is fine...)

Mega Torchic.
    (I couldn't think of a good username so I used my fav pokemon)

You know, once I got into the competetive scene of B/W I tried to get my IV's and train for certain EV's, look for the right natures... All that stuff while I am very picky about what gender each of my Pokemon have.
    (For example Eevee and all it's evolutions have to be female, I don't know why, it's just some sort of thing I have.)

And you know what being competetive means? Having lots and lots and lots and loooooots of different Pokemon, all trained to the best possible outcome. It was insane. Sometimes you'd even have 3 of the SAME Pokemon, all trained in a different way. I tried it back then. I really, really did try, but I couldn't. It was tedious, hard and unrewarding work.

The most brutal thing during all this was the following though: I knew that almost everyone else was using things like Pokésav. Creating Pokemon with 31 in all IV's, the best possible EV's, all the right moves, the right gender, the right nature and they could even decide to have it in shiny or not. And here I was. The Idiot that spend all this time on getting somewhat average (by competetive standards) Pokemon to battle with.

So, one day, I decided that I was sick of working towards nothing. So, I starded to hack my own Pokemon. Finally. The right gender, the right moves, the perfect IV's, easy to get EV's, the right nature and I could even get some sweet shinys just by checking a box. Tell you what? I had fun for about two days, beating all the other cheaters that had previously beaten me. I had my perfect walls, my perfect attackers, my perfect dual screener, I had it all.

But I didn't earn it. And I knew that. I did -nothing- to get to the point that I was at. I just tapped my mouse a few times, uploaded a few Pokemon and downloaded them right after. Yes they where perfect, yes I kicked ass with them and yes I had fun for a day or two. But what then? I'm left with Pokemon that I have no connection with. I was not the one that trained them, I did not get that lucky feeling in my stomach to see the right gender and the right nature being displayed at once on my screen. No. I just 'magically' got them with everything I needed from them just to replace them a few hours later for something new but also perfect.

That was the point where I got disillusioned with the competetive scene of Pokemon. So I stopped.

A few months later, the game called to me again. I was bored and still loved Pokemon, so I went ahead and popped my black Edition back into my DS and there they where. All the Pokemon I hacked in that two day period. I deleted it all, started on a fresh file and started to train them myself again. I stopped caring about IV's, since they where totally out of my control. I'm still very picky when it comes to nature and gender, but that's okay. It only means that it'll take some time to get what I want and I can live with that. Patience is a virtue.

I lose most of my competetive battles now. But I can feel great about the ones I win again.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Only time I cheated was in gen II. Cloning glitch. Got loads of rare candies, used 'em all to level my pokés do lv100 and then got crushed by a friend's team that got properly trained. Never cheated again :/
    3ds FC: 2105-9067-9813
    Steam: alvesrc /// W!cked

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast