Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil it. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil it.

Default Re: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil i

Personally, I think it's just a waste of time and money, especially if you can't even understand Japanese - id rather like to know what I'm doing and what the others are saying rather than have no clue about it, thank you very much. Not knowing what the heck is going on kinda ruins the fun of the game.

Sure, some of us like spoilers, but really, I think it's pointless unless you understand Japanese.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do Yo Think Pre-Ordering Japanese Pokemon Games is Right or Does it Kinda Spoil i

If you understand Japanese, then good for you. You're basically getting the English games several months earlier.

If you don't, have fun forking over 40 bucks for a waste of time and effort.

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

As long as the person bought the game and enjoyed whether they know Japanese or not, it's not a waste money to them.
    Rex Kamex, Gigatron, Setra and 2 others like this.

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

Blog Entries

As long as the person bought the game and enjoyed whether they know Japanese or not, it's not a waste money to them.
    So buying a game in a language you can't understand isn't a waste of money now?

Bear in mind that Pokemon is not like Super Mario 3D Land, where the dialogue is really a minor part of the game. Pokemon is a game that requires the ability to read what is being said.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kree View Post
    Who are you to decide? Many people hardly pay attention to dialogue after playing many years, and it's mostly pretty straightforward otherwise. If you just want to test the new things with the game, I would hardly say it would be a waste of money, the pokémon are still the same.

Also, the title of this thread is pretty way off. "Is it right", what kind of question is that? As for spoiling it, does that even matter when you can have loads of information about the game without even buying it?
    Flare Blitz and Gigatron like this.

I'm pretty sure spoilers would still be floating around regardless of importers.

Just saying.
    Last edited by Flare Blitz; 15th July 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flare Blitz View Post
    I'm pretty sure spoilers would still be floating around regardless of importers.

Just saying.
    But they would be much less abundant and more easily avoided.

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by toonytown View Post
    But they would be much less abundant and more easily avoided.
    Not really. There's load of pre-release coverage, and what has usually happened with the DS games is that the ROM get dumped reasonably quickly, opening up for extraction of all kinds of data, not to mention loads of people will play it like that anyways (I'm not going to say this is a good/bad thing, all I'm saying is that it happens, regardless of what we think about it).

I'm gone.
    Blog Entries

I don't. It gives me a lesser appreciation of the game's story.

Blog Entries

Follow Ennife on Tumblr

I don't really have an opinion on whether or not other people should buy it in Japanese or play it early. Like someone above me, I don't think "is right" is the best way to word it.

If you have the money (or aren't buying it with your money) by all means go ahead. I know beginning Japanese (high school offered it), I'm excited for them to come out, but I wouldn't spend the $40-$60 dollars on a Japanese copy of a game when I can just wait a few months for it to come out in English [or Spanish or French] so I could understand it fully.

The thing that bothers me is that Spoilers are discussed in this thread without warning (Hello! Use spoiler tags!). I had been doing a pretty good job avoiding spoilers until now because I personally don't like them, don't go out of my way to youtube them, and would really like to play the game myself and discover all this my first time through. I'm not upset that I now know _____ and _____ are Gym leaders or Bunnies or Presidents or whatnot, I really have never cared about that stuff, just be courteous and put that info in a Spoiler tag, please! Especially since this thread is focused partially on Spoilers!

For example,
    Last edited by Ennife; 15th July 2012 at 02:11 PM.
    Black FC: 0003 2921 9951
    Platinum FC : 0389 5693 5042

September 9 ~ If we had an open trade or request before I went MIA, please PM me and I'd LOVE to work out the details again.
    Working on a Wishmaker Jirachi trade station (almost a giveaway) since I dug up my Bonus Disk, VM/PM me if you're interested.

Follow Gigatron On Twitter

What is or isn't a waste of money is only for the person spending the money to decide. If the person in question enjoys the game, and it fulfilled whatever expectations he/she had of it, then it's not a waste of money. If I bought a game in my native language and I hated it, then that was, to me, a complete waste of money. But, if I buy a game in a language I don't completely understand, and I loved every minute of it (as was the case with White and many other games I've imported) then I got my money's worth. The fact that it's in a language I'm learning actually makes it more fun to me, and if I can actually learn from it, then I got my money's worth and then some.

People enjoy games in different ways. You like to play games in a language you understand so you can get the most out of the story. That's great, I'm happy for you, I truly hope you have hours of fun with it. And I have just as much fun playing a game I love, and at the same time furthering my knowledge of a language that I have chosen to learn. So how am I "wrong" for enjoying the game in that way?

But hey, no worries, mate. I'll go waste me money in whatever way I deem fit, and the fact that it rustles some people's jimmies is of no consequence to me.
    Setra and Silverwynde like this.

Blog Entries

But, if I buy a game in a language I don't completely understand, and I loved every minute of it (as was the case with White and many other games I've imported) then I got my money's worth. The fact that it's in a language I'm learning actually makes it more fun to me, and if I can actually learn from it, then I got my money's worth and then some.
    Did you even read what I said?

You're assuming that Japanese is a language you understand at least partially, or are attempting to learn.

I'm assuming that Japanese is a language you cannot understand period and are not attempting to learn.

If you just want to test the new things with the game, I would hardly say it would be a waste of money, the pokémon are still the same.
    Pretty true.

Follow Purellian On Twitter
    Visit Purellian's Youtube Channel

But, if I buy a game in a language I don't completely understand, and I loved every minute of it (as was the case with White and many other games I've imported) then I got my money's worth. The fact that it's in a language I'm learning actually makes it more fun to me, and if I can actually learn from it, then I got my money's worth and then some.
    Did you even read what I said?

You're assuming that Japanese is a language you understand at least partially, or are attempting to learn.

I'm assuming that Japanese is a language you cannot understand period and are not attempting to learn.
    Even in this case, the point still stands that if a person who has absolutely no knowledge of the Japanese language imports a game that has text entirely in Japanese still enjoys playing that game, then in that person's eyes, the purchase was not a waste of money. You may consider it a waste of money, and therefore do not choose to import, but your choice is not the same choice that everyone else will choose.

Also, as far as spoilers go, it's certainly true that the internet is a wretched hive of scum and spoilers. However, we all know this fact. The internet is not going to stop spoiling things just because you want it to. It is entirely up to you to avoid these spoilers if you want your experience to remain pure. For example: why on earth would you choose to follow BulbaNews Now on Twitter, when you KNOW that they're going to be posting such spoilers the instant they know about them? If you are the sort of person who enjoys watching Let's Plays and other such video walkthroughs, it is simply up to you to choose not to watch those videos.

Waiting for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y since January, 2013!

Blog Entries
    Follow TeraDyne On Twitter Add TeraDyne on Facebook
    Visit TeraDyne's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Purellian View Post
    . However, we all know this fact. The internet is not going to stop spoiling things just because you want it to. It is entirely up to you to avoid these spoilers if you want your experience to remain pure. For example: why on earth would you choose to follow BulbaNews Now on Twitter, when you KNOW that they're going to be posting such spoilers the instant they know about them? If you are the sort of person who enjoys watching Let's Plays and other such video walkthroughs, it is simply up to you to choose not to watch those videos.
    That's the problem. Someone like me might NOT know that BNN would post outright spoilers in the clear. I wasn't expecting them to post major plot and character points out in the clear, and I woke up to a massive flood of such spoilers on my Twitter timeline. I had followed them solely for breaking news, and I learned my lesson.
    ~Virizion. Virizion. Rosy knight Virizion. Make the trouble go away, so that we may laugh and play.~
    Disclaimer: I play by VGC rules, don't EV train or care about IVs, use the Japanese names (and sometimes even terms), and I refuse to take part in drama.

Blog Entries

So, BNN, twitter subset of BulbaNews with the expressed purpose of getting you news as soon as it arrives (i.e., not verified) isn't obvious enough that they're going to be reporting spoilers? Why else would you bother following BNN when it's only useful around these big news moments. It's fairly obvious what constitutes as "Breaking News" in a Pokemon forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast