Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk

Mm, it seems like Cynthia would have been noticably older then.

This timeline is all kinds of weird. Especially when the rereleases have Wiis in them and so on.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think narrowing down a specific timeline is going to be possible, cause I really doubt they put much thought into it. You should probably just leave it at "D/P/P and HG/SS happen around the same time".

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    Like I said, Super Adventure Club. Why do you think she stalks you during gen IV?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saloma View Post
    I don't think narrowing down a specific timeline is going to be possible, cause I really doubt they put much thought into it. You should probably just leave it at "D/P/P and HG/SS happen around the same time".
    And yet there are enough references in Generation V that pinpoint the fact it takes place a good few years after Generation II/IV. Even in regard to Hoenn, HGSS made it amply clear that the Weather trio and the orbs originated from that region (as did the Eon duo and the Soul Dew), and so the Emerald story had to have taken place beforehand (or else Groudon and Kyogre wouldn't have been awake).

If they don't care about the timeline, why bother at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unless that was a different Groudon and Kyogre. There's nothing saying they have to be unique species.

So I guess the question is "do GSC and HGSS take place at the same time?". Clearly BW takes place after DPPt, but ten years seems like it's stretching it. I figure they take place in their release years, meaning DP would be in 2006 and BW would be in 2010, which sounds like a far more practical figure.
    Although then I suppose the follow up question would be if Pt then takes place in 2008. They could be alternate universes of each other (and given the drastically different endings to the Galactic plot, that seems likely).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    And yet there are enough references in Generation V that pinpoint the fact it takes place a good few years after Generation II/IV. Even in regard to Hoenn, HGSS made it amply clear that the Weather trio and the orbs originated from that region (as did the Eon duo and the Soul Dew), and so the Emerald story had to have taken place beforehand (or else Groudon and Kyogre wouldn't have been awake).

If they don't care about the timeline, why bother at all?
    Years are an entirely different matter from the days you were analyzing. It's much easier to say G/S/C happened three years after R/B/Y, for instance, because when trying to figure out how many days the respective games took, it's impossible.

As for how long a gap between gen IV and V is, while I'd like to say about 15 years, I remember that this is a Japanese game we're talking about. They're known for being horrific with ages, so it's really impossible to say how long it's been. Considering the Rocket guy's got a kid, it's probably safer to go with ten years, than something like three.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unless that was a different Groudon and Kyogre. There's nothing saying they have to be unique species.
    Professor Oak begs to differ: "Those Pokémon! They were at the Embedded Tower? They are Kyogre and Groudon--the Pokémon from the Hoenn myth!"

Although then I suppose the follow up question would be if Pt then takes place in 2008. They could be alternate universes of each other (and given the drastically different endings to the Galactic plot, that seems likely).
    I don't see how such strikingly similar (but not identical) stories could be part of the same universe, although most people would say that the events in the most recent game (Platinum in this case) override anything that contradicts them in previous games. It is easy enough to assume that Platinum is the canon version (as supported by Cynthia mentioning Giratina in Black and White); the only problem arises when you compare Crystal to HGSS, as Ecruteak's mythology is only significantly explored in the former despite being the outdated game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saloma
    Years are an entirely different matter from the days you were analyzing. It's much easier to say G/S/C happened three years after R/B/Y, for instance, because when trying to figure out how many days the respective games took, it's impossible.
    My point was that if anything, HGSS take place a bit after DPPt rather than the other way around. The timeline involving Jasmine just goes to show that the events are actually interspersed, with the Johto story ending last. I don't actually think that there is a day-to-day timeline to be had, but that doesn't mean there is no connection between the different generations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't see how that rules out them being different individuals. Only that Oak knows the species are legendary in Hoenn.

Regarding third versions being "canon", Steven kinda throws a wrench into things since he's presented as the champion later on, even though he isn't in Emerald.

Load of Belloni
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    From what I remember, the Pokemon that are put in BW by the Transfer Machine are listed as time travelling
    From what I've experienced, nothing from the 4th gen (both gems and metals) has that extra line added in. It only seems to be the case with pokemon who originate from 3rd gen games. I think it's more to do with the fact that it's tranfering pokemon over from, what are now, pretty old games, rather than some crazy timeline shiz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This timeline is all kinds of weird. Especially when the rereleases have Wiis in them and so on.
    I doubt it would be noticeably older considering that she's already reached her age of maturity, so we could have a few years pass by without her looking drastically different, while Caitlin, being much younger would.

In any case, the whole "being in another region" would account for the entire population sounding different in the first place (not like they did)

Anyway, waiting for Winter so I can visit TR-guy to see if they give him his accent or if they did the logical thing and remove it.

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Grave-E View Post
    From what I've experienced, nothing from the 4th gen (both gems and metals) has that extra line added in. It only seems to be the case with pokemon who originate from 3rd gen games. I think it's more to do with the fact that it's tranfering pokemon over from, what are now, pretty old games, rather than some crazy timeline shiz.
    Yup. Only Pokémon that were originally from a Generation III game have that tag; because let's be fair, they would have at least travelled 2 years from FRLGRSE to DPtHGSS, then another [X] amount of time to BW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Plus the characters actually had personality in their dialogue. The aforementioned Cilan/Chili/Cress, is a HUGE example. Cilan is shy and stutters (which is adorable as hell! <3 shame the anime didn't keep that!), Chili is hot-headed and loud, while Cress is level-headed and cool. Etc. It is quite well done in the end.
    Really? *checks Bulbapedia* That's weird. I've got Cilan's lines from the Japanese games (gotta love Google!) and something's not adding up. He certainly didn't seem to stammer much, if at all, in the original. Ellipses? Sure. But the stammering? I gotta wonder where the translators got that from impression from. For what it's worth, Cilan did seem a little lacking in confidence in the original, but not to the point of being a nervous wreck. I'd be more than happy to post the Japanese lines to get some second opinions, though.

With regards to animéverse Cilan, remember he's been a Gym Leader for over a year at least in that continuity, whereas in the games he hasn't been in the position for too long. So how he acts in the games could be because he's still a rather new Gym Leader (he says so himself). Besides, who's to say that animéverse Cilan didn't act like that when was starting out as a Gym Leader? I do agree on that sort of behaviour being very, very cute, mind you. ;P

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!
    Me on LiveJournal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't see how that rules out them being different individuals. Only that Oak knows the species are legendary in Hoenn.
    Groudon and Kyogre show up at the Embedded Tower when the orbs from the Hoenn legend are taken there. The orbs themselves are said to be from Mr. Pokémon's friend in Hoenn, whereas in Generation III the orbs were carefully guarded at Mt. Pyre to protect the region from another disaster. Do you really think this is Game Freak's way of informing us that there was not just one set of orbs in Hoenn, but two? It doesn't even matter whether or not the Weather trio are unique (although nothing implies they're not); the only way the Mt. Pyre would have let the orbs be taken is if the damage in Hoenn had already been done. Come to think of it, it makes sense that they would want to lure Groudon and Kyogre out of Hoenn if they were already awakened.

Regarding third versions being "canon", Steven kinda throws a wrench into things since he's presented as the champion later on, even though he isn't in Emerald.
    Even in Emerald, Steven is referenced as being the Champion by a Dragon Tamer in Meteor Falls. He says in HGSS that he wants to return to the Hoenn League and that he's been gone for too long, which is consistent with Emerald.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guys... this is a thread about game dialogue, not the time difference between generations. If you really want to discuss that, please take it to a different thread.

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty ~ Shackleford View Post
    (outside of N's...BURN BABY BURN line)
    WHOA!

When did he say that? I really need to pay attention to the dialogue at all times.
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really didn't notice anything odd about the dialogue, either. All I miss from Nob's work were the witty lines here and there, and there's no comparison point unlike with GSC and HGSS, where you could see the atrocious butchering of the formerly amusing dialogue. Changing "cute girls" to "strong Trainers" is one of the worst examples. I mean, seriously? It's not like those guys said "sexy girls" or anything of the sort, despite the context being obvious. Not something that would turn kids into perverts regardless.

All the witty liners became egregious in 4th Gen too, with the constant overuse of Internet memes. It wasn't like "I like shorts!" or "Dropped my balls!" anymore. It was just grabbing Internet lingo like "noob" and using it over and over, or grab some well-known meme, or just put "Internet" somewhere. If I have to pick between generic dialogue and that, I'll keep my generic dialogue.

As Black/White is already in the hands of TPCI, and there's no comparison point, I am pretty fine with it. It still gave Clay an accent, and these characters are all much better written, so they don't need aid from witty liners to become memorable. As for NPCs... it doesn't really affects the experience too much. I still giggle at the Plasma Grunts going "Plasmaaaa!!" when they lose. There's still funny points to the script, and it's way better than relying on Internet culture.

As for "not being the way normal people talk"... I never noticed that, and it doesn't even matter. It flows naturally enough to me. There were a few sentences that struck me as odd, as if they mis-spelled it, but it was only one or two, and I realized it wasn't wrong after re-reading.

So yeah. I see no problem with it, and it's a huge improvement from Diamond/Pearl. Would pre-DP Nob do it better? Perhaps. But we'll never know now.
    Last edited by Orion-Sama; 15th March 2011 at 01:57 PM.

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast