Could Gen VI bring older fans back into the series? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Could Gen VI bring older fans back into the series?

Y am I this strong? Mega Uncle Edit Y's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Could Gen VI bring older fans back into the series?

I'm afraid the next generation will not bring back fans who quit Pokemon after generation-one ended. Most folks at my job don't seem to care about any of the other generations, so I don't think Pokemon X and Y will change their minds, no matter how awesome the games are.

Blog Entries

There's always a chance, but if I were GameFreak I wouldn't depend upon it. I think the graphical revamp will draw attention but nothing more than any past generations.

Blog Entries

I once had a friend who went on that he would have liked to see a main series Pokemon game on a console rather than a handheld, because it would broaden the possibilities, while also making 3D graphics possible. I did not agree however, because Pokemon is better suited to being on a handheld platformer just as it always has been. But Nintendo has now proven that they can do quality 3D graphics on a handheld with their 3DS, and do not necessarily need a console to make that possible. So I can see how XY can appeal to the fans who have long wanted a main series Pokemon game in 3D.

But whether it specifically appeals to older fans as a whole, that is difficult to say, for every fan is different. I myself am an older fan, I've been with the franchise since the Generation I days, but I myself kind of don't really care greatly about the 3D approach. But is it neat in its own way. Although I am a little concerned how the new camera view will affect some maps, I'm kind of used to having a drop-down camera view when walking in routes, and the current screenshots doesn't make that very assuring. I'm also wondering how the 3D battles will affect certain options in-game, like the option of turning off attack animations which I often do when I'm in a hurry or in the middle of grinding. But these are just minor things, and I trust GF to figure out how to make these new changes work in the best way possible.
    Laterna and Owain like this.

Theme set by Caprizant | Fan of Generation I.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pokefanforever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggyness View Post
    genwunners are too stubborn. they'd probably complain about the 3DS being too expensive as well.
    I take offense to that because I'm a genwunner, but I'm definitely going to pay the $200 for a 3DS and the $40 for the game even though it can pay my car and phone bill. I have friends that are going to do the same this coming October.
    You seem to lose the feeling of what a Genwunner is. A Genwunner is a person who absolutely accepts nothing but the original 151, therefore you are not a genwunner
    Sapphire and Owain like this.
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

I asked a friend of mine, a stubborn Genwunner, what he thought of the upcoming XY and if he would give it a chance. He said while Xerneas DOES look kinda cool, he called Yvetal a Lugia clone. He also said "no". ono Sadly, many other Genwunners might have similar opinions. They can't admit how much better the games have become, and prefer the days when it was a fad because it was "okay" to like Pokemon then. At least that's what my friend thinks.
    Owain likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

And what, praytell, gave any of you the idea that labelling a group of fan as "genwunners" then bashing that group was an okay activity, exactly?

Consequences forthcoming.

As a general public service announcement, you should probably avoid describing people as "genwunners". I've yet to see use of that name that wasn't at least borderline rulebreaking.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 16th January 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

Personally, I don't see that many [people that only like the first generation of Pokemon (sometimes second is included as well), often due to nostalgia. A very wishy washy term, sometimes also used to describe people who merely prefer generation one over the others. Usually used in a negative way] getting back into Pokemon, simply because they'll probably dismiss the new Pokemon as "crappy". [people that only like the first generation of Pokemon (sometimes second is included as well), often due to nostalgia. A very wishy washy term, sometimes also used to describe people who merely prefer generation one over the others. Usually used in a negative way] are usually completely unreasonable (depending on which definition you're choosing to use for it), as I've learned from experience. Sure, the graphics are better, but watch them continue to call the new games horrible simply due to bias. The [people that only like the first generation of Pokemon (sometimes second is included as well), often due to nostalgia. A very wishy washy term, sometimes also used to describe people who merely prefer generation one over the others. Usually used in a negative way] didn't care when absolutely everything about the Pokemon main series improved. Well, aside from maybe the general formula and the Pokemon. Although I like the new Pokemon more then the old ones, it's acceptable to think that first gen has better Pokemon, as long as it's not due to complete bias.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    And what, praytell, gave any of you the idea that labelling a group of fan as "genwunners" then bashing that group was an okay activity, exactly?

Consequences forthcoming.

As a general public service announcement, you should probably avoid describing people as "genwunners". I've yet to see use of that name that wasn't at least borderline rulebreaking.
    Why wasn't the thread just removed?
    Personal Youtube: TerraTF

Follow my Pokemon Y Nuzlocke here

Shinies are just a palette swap. If its not bred well, don't use it.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought Black and White was supposed to bring old players back, whatever happened to that?

Don't we go through this every generation? Heck I remember when DP came out people were saying THAT generation brought old players back.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

It's entirely possible that older fans will be interested in checking out the games due to the updated graphics and being on the newest Nintendo handheld system. I don't think that it will be a significant portion since a lot of older fans don't tend to get interested in the new games, especially if they primarily prefer the first generation, but it definitely could happen.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I thought Black and White was supposed to bring old players back, whatever happened to that?

Don't we go through this every generation? Heck I remember when DP came out people were saying THAT generation brought old players back.
    Actually the games that brought old fans back, were HG/SS. BW didn't bring old players, BW was interesting enough to keep them. So I hope Gen VI keep them into Pokémon the same way as BW and BW2 did. (I'm an old fan too, but I never really quit Pokémon so I don't count myself in this group)

However, there's something I think OP is wrong. We old players don't look for gorgeous graphics, we look for a good story and a good playthrough. If it has full 3D, of course it's better, but it's not determinant. I played games with a heavily pixelated main character contained in a 16x16 sprite, in a 320x240 screen. No 3D, no online, no poliphonic sounds. And I love them, and I still love them. My favourite games are all from the past century, literally. (aside BW if I count the game and not the franchise, And HG/SS, a very improved remake of a past century game too). The important thing is and will be game experiencie, and that's scientifically proven.
    Owain likes this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

I have alot of friends who "only love gen 1 and think they're superior and everything else don't exist" and one of just posted on Facebook. "Just realized that pokemon has become really lame and the creatures look like crap for babies....what happened pokemon creators" So with that I don't think alot of older fans will come back to the series for Gen VI. Sure , the series finally being in 3D may lure some of them back, but most of them will likely hate on the new Pokemon designs and cause of that not play them.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

I'm sorry but they left for a reason, and I doubt 3D graphics would be enough to bring them back. It's sad some people are just afraid of change, they won't accept anything anymore and will live the rest of their lives unhappy. It happens literally everywhere "I hate the new *insert a video game, band, etc. here*, they changed it and now it's *insert insult here*!" I probably wasn't able to word this right but I hope you still get the point
    Mega Uncle Edit Y likes this.

I guess in a way you could say B2 brought me 'back' since its the first DS pokemon game ive played. But that was mainly because i didnt have a DS. Although true-fully it was rewatching the anime that got me back into the games lol.

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Every time a new generation is released, it always brings back a huge chunk of the older fans. They tend to drift away fairly quickly mind you, pretty much just completing the main storyline of the games before moving on. The majority of side games simply don't hold the same appeal to them (a new Pokémon Snap would probably be an exception to that, if it happened), and they simply don't have the time for competitive battling like they did when they were younger. But by the same token, they'll rapidly come back yet again with the very next generation.
    Tsuness likes this.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast