CoroCoro Thread (Not for XY Anime Discussion) - Page 123

Page 123 of 249 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124125133173223 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 3730
Like Tree2145Likes

Thread: CoroCoro Thread (Not for XY Anime Discussion)

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Official CoroCoro Discussion Thread

Anyone have any idea who the blonde girl with gold eyes and dressed in black could be? She seems to be accompanying the male character in one picture. Perhaps she's a companion character like in Generation IV? Or perhaps the first standalone female rival?

Follow Meophist On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    Anyone have any idea who the blonde girl with gold eyes and dressed in black could be? She seems to be accompanying the male character in one picture. Perhaps she's a companion character like in Generation IV? Or perhaps the first standalone female rival?
    I think you might be referring to the Lass trainer.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
    I think you might be referring to the Lass trainer.
    I may be, the picture's quite small and blurry. The blonde girl does look interesting though.

Follow Meophist On Twitter

I may be, the picture's quite small and blurry. The blonde girl does look interesting though.
    The picture below the character selection portraits has the dialogue box "Lass Rika wants to fight!" on it, so it seems to be a random trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    I don't doubt the possibility of diagonal walking, since the 3DS has an analog stick. But I think it's something that should be shown in a trailer, not a screenshot.
    Sorry to bring this up again but if in fact the picture is of diagonal walking and that's possible what does this mean for pokemon as a whole?? I mean of course there's the fact that we can walk where we want but more importantly will there still be the same RNG?? something will have to change right, will it reach a level to complex for us to accurately predict and get seeds and whatnot? I cant RNG cause i actually dont understand programming and all that business, but my friend does and I need perfect IV pokemon to have the edge in wifi battles and such (especially using UU pokes against OU and ubers and whatnot)
    VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT

If you look closely at the screenshots you'll notice that the actual level construction still looks quite tile-based. So there are a number of possibilities:

1 - Player movement is still in whole-tile units, you don't actually get diagonal movement, and what we see in the image is merely an animation for the player character turning from one direction to another. (Remember the trailer: the player character was only seen travelling horizontally or vertically)
    2 - You do get diagonal movement, but the player still moves in whole-tile units (compare PMD dungeon crawling).
    3 - You get completely free movement in all directions (like in Colosseum / XD) .

I don't think we're looking at a #3 because then why do all the environments still look tile-based? I'm personally leaning toward #2.

Though it must be said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbagarden
    @psidazed: Now there's a scary thought. If trainers aren't restricted to a grid, they'll be able to look around in a complete circle.
    Which is also like Colosseum/XD. A trainer's active line-of-sight would be defined in a geometric sense (e.g. distance and angle of view). In cases where you could rematch a given trainer in the console games, you could practically map out their field of view based on where you're standing when they spot you.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 13th May 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    If you look closely at the screenshots you'll notice that the actual level construction still looks quite tile-based. So there are a number of possibilities:

1 - Player movement is still in whole-tile units, you don't actually get diagonal movement, and what we see in the image is merely an animation for the player character turning from one direction to another. (Remember the trailer: the player character was only seen travelling horizontally or vertically)
    2 - You do get diagonal movement, but the player still moves in whole-tile units (compare PMD dungeon crawling).
    3 - You get completely free movement in all directions (like in Colosseum / XD) .

I don't think we're looking at a #3 because then why do all the environments still look tile-based? I'm personally leaning toward #2.
    Yes, I also think we're getting option #1 or #2, but not 3. Everything else seems to indicate that he game is still tile-based. Actually, as you said, we have only seen the characters moving verticallyy or horizontally, excpet those that segment of the trailer and the pic in CoroCoro, but if you pay attention, in both cases the camera is zoomed in (unlike the rest of the footage which still uses the top-down view of previous games), so i think those two are cutscenes or special cases, not unlike during BW prerelease period, when the first footage we saw featured nothing but Castelia City and Skyarrow Bridge, which fooled us into thinking that all the cities would be that large and that the camera would move and switch angles in all the game, but in the end it turned out those only happened on those two locations. Don't want to be pssimistic, but I'm getting that feeling, that everything will stay the same and we were shown a specific scenario where diagonal movement happens, to hype us into thinking that will be a part of the game, but won't.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Quote Originally Posted by AceTogeTrainer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    I don't doubt the possibility of diagonal walking, since the 3DS has an analog stick. But I think it's something that should be shown in a trailer, not a screenshot.
    Sorry to bring this up again but if in fact the picture is of diagonal walking and that's possible what does this mean for pokemon as a whole?? I mean of course there's the fact that we can walk where we want but more importantly will there still be the same RNG?? something will have to change right, will it reach a level to complex for us to accurately predict and get seeds and whatnot? I cant RNG cause i actually dont understand programming and all that business, but my friend does and I need perfect IV pokemon to have the edge in wifi battles and such (especially using UU pokes against OU and ubers and whatnot)
    You don't need perfect IV's to win wifi battles. I fight on Wifi all the time and I do quite well.

Yeah. The main avenue that wraps around the exterior of Castelia City is tile-based, but warped to fit a circular shape. Ditto for that circular room in Dragonspiral Tower and the BW1 Victory Road exterior.

To abandon the grid means they also have to completely rethink the mapping of traversible areas and the structuring/placement of event triggers (including NPC trainers).
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post

Though it must be said...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbagarden
    @psidazed: Now there's a scary thought. If trainers aren't restricted to a grid, they'll be able to look around in a complete circle.
    Which is also like Colosseum/XD. A trainer's active line-of-sight would be defined in a geometric sense (e.g. distance and angle of view). In cases where you could rematch a given trainer in the console games, you could practically map out their field of view based on where you're standing when they spot you.
    Unfortunately I don't think it's necessarily possible to rule out any type of movement just yet. Albeit the trailer did indicate strict tile-based movement, that could have been done purposefully to not reveal further features. I do think that the player character's turn was so sharp in the forest that free movement is unlikely, but by no means not possible. Additionally, I think that it's also possible that the player character can look in any direction, but only move in a tile-based faction; an intermediary of your first and second options (Option 1.5, if you will). It could make trainers seem more life like but hold them to the traditional tile-based layout.

I would honestly be a bit upset if the tile-based layout was rid of entirely. That is, in my opinion, what makes the main series games so classic.

Visit Scarftail's Youtube Channel

I can't see Game Freak neglecting the analog stick in the overworld unless the unlikely event occurs where you actually control the camera. It would feel rather awkward not to be using it for any reason. Who's to say that you can't just walk via both the D-pad and the analog stick, and that in the initial trailer, they just showed the player walking with the D-pad? Although, I must admit, the seemingly tile-based overworld makes me think otherwise.
    I wrap my long, white tail around my neck to show off. I also repel dust and static electricity.

Zeb
    vital spirit. Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

There's a new private video added to Pokemon's youtube account and playlist for XY: link.

It wasn't there earlier today.

I wonder if it's for the reveal of this Corocoro information.
    Reila likes this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

The screenshot where the player sits ontop of a Gogoat makes it look like the game will have free walking, since the nearby house's edge and the player's line of sight face different directions, but other screenshots suggests tile-based movement so oh well, I'll just wait and see.

In a way I'd like to see free walking, cause imo it looks a bit weird for fully 3D characters to move along a grid. They moved away from sprites, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we got free walking as well.
    Exhibit A likes this.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

The video worked for me.

You can sit on benches now! Bestest new thing so far!

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

Blog Entries

Oh my god, the character's movements in the new trailer are so beautiful. I... I need a 3DS D:

LinkBacks (?)