Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname? - Page 7

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

Map doesn't sound half bad. A bit of a stretch that could easily confuse some people, but hella fucking clever.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    And then suddenly there's a controversy and we're stuck in it.
    No such thing as bad press.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    That's what I was thinking, whoever put "Genetic Generation" there should remove it for now.
    Someone jumped on it without consultation, and now it'll probably stick. Early bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Icalasari View Post
    I just thought of something:

What if the larger Pokemon fanbase - the ones not associated with Bulbapedia at all - call it the Axis Generation?

It would be a case of Bulbapedia making another name for it entirely, leading to arguments ("Axis!" "Axial!"), with Bulbapedia's term likely losing out against the many more fans that may or may not use it

What would Bulbapedia do then? I mean, after all, it can't force the Fandom to not call it one name
    A large part of it is accountability. Bulbapedia is not going to associate itself with something with such a connotation. People can go on calling it the Axis generation, but they can't be saying they got the idea from Bulbapedia.

I would think that IF a third game was released, as Z version, then Axis would make the most sense because of the 3 axes. But of course some people would take it the wrong way on purpose :/

3D seems like a no-brainer for Gen VI. As for what to rename Gen IV... Let's see, precious metals (Pt, HG, and SS) plus gems (D and P)... How about Aulë's Generation (props to anyone who actually gets that)?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    I would think that IF a third game was released, as Z version, then Axis would make the most sense because of the 3 axes. But of course some people would take it the wrong way on purpose :/
    There are also Z and W chromosome (and W is the letter used for the fourth dimension), so they can keep a double meaning going for much longer
    Green Zubat, sonic10158 and Ange like this.

I'm still not sure where people are getting the "genetics" themes from, considering that that's been around since literally Gen1. Since the X/Y nomenclature points to a high likelihood for a Z version in the future, and since X/Y/Z are specifically used for dimensions and plotting in three-dimensional space, I'm just gonna stick with "3D generation" - especially since, given the console, that's likely to be at least one of the major themes they're gonna be working with.
    The_Doctor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wohdin View Post
    I'm still not sure where people are getting the "genetics" themes from, considering that that's been around since literally Gen1. Since the X/Y nomenclature points to a high likelihood for a Z version in the future, and since X/Y/Z are specifically used for dimensions and plotting in three-dimensional space, I'm just gonna stick with "3D generation" - especially since, given the console, that's likely to be at least one of the major themes they're gonna be working with.
    The logos have a double helix in them. Which is the shape DNA takes
    sonic10158 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

I'm gonna say either the Axis or Genetic Generation cause those both seem fitting and logical. Leaning more towards the Genetic Generation cause the legendarys and logos make me think these games will be based on genetic or chromosomes.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm leaning towards Map or Variable but I still strongly suggest on waiting for more information.
    The_Doctor likes this.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Quote Originally Posted by Icalasari View Post
    The logos have a double helix in them. Which is the shape DNA takes
    I saw this in the Japanese logo after I made that post, heh. It's not in the English logo, so it's not really obvious. Which is silly, they could easily replace the accent on the é with the exact same helix shape that's used in the Japanese logo's ン, so why the hell didn't they? It makes no sense, and I'm pretty sure that minor change wouldn't COMPLETELY DESTROY people's ability to recognize the logo like they seem to fear.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

The Y axis denotes height...Yveltal is seen flying through the sky...

Forever Lacking Rhythm Konoko Hasano's Avatar

I think I agree most on 'Map Generation', which is the best representation of both axial coordinates AND genetics. It's the easiest and most simple way to incorporate both references into the entire thing.
    Owain and El_ like this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

I only advocate Map if it becomes clear that it is inspired by both. If it's just genetic, then DNA or Nuclear generation for me.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Blog Entries

I don't think genetic would work as well as people think because there have been 3 DNA lengendaries so far and I don't see how people get DNA from the lengendaries themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Quote Originally Posted by Morgil View Post
    3D seems like a no-brainer for Gen VI. As for what to rename Gen IV... Let's see, precious metals (Pt, HG, and SS) plus gems (D and P)... How about Aulë's Generation (props to anyone who actually gets that)?
    I am a fan LOTR, but how does it correspond to X and Y?

I know I'm late on this, but here's the gist of it.

The Generation titles/monikers were chosen based on the literal games' titles and nothing more.

That is to say, even though Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow may symbolize the 4 different elemental types (Fire, Water, Grass, Electricity), the name given is decidedly NOT "Elemental Generation" but Color Generation. Because the names, are in fact, colors.

The themes represented in the games or stories are separate from these labels and what they represent: a collective Title or Brand that is ONLY looking at the names of the games.

Hence why Gen 2 is the Metal Generation. Hence why Gen 3 is the Gems Generation (precious and or otherwise). They have nothing to do with their respective legendaries or storyline myths.

Black/White were given the Monochrome label because of their association with color, but not necessarily the light spectrum. It was made early on in the assumption that Grey version was going to come up. However, we ended up with B2/W2, which still fits the motif.

To be honest, I don't quite know (nor care) what the 4th Gen label truly is, which is why this whole thing bupkis anyway. The whole Platinum vs Crystal switcheroo especially makes it such an award one. But if you asked me, I'd say it would be the Jewel Generation, because Diamonds and Pearls are made in different ways, but act as precious pieces.

Now, with that, we reach X and Y. Remember, the name is to be taken literally based only on the titles and not what they may represent. Thus, the MOST logical choice would be 'Letters' or 'Alphabetical' as mentioned in like the first damn post.

But, if you're willing to get a little fancy with your naming scheme, there's always the choice of Grapheme. A grapheme is a written graph or symbols. A letter, like X or Y, is part of the Latin Alphabet, just like Δ or Σ are part of the Greek Alphabet, but a grapheme is what it actually IS. Another way to think of them is glyphs or symbols.

An X is an X, but it is pronounced 'Exs' and sounds like 'Zee' or 'Zuh' more often than not.

So, Letter Generation, Grapheme Generation, or Alphabetical Generation. Choose whichever sounds best to you.
    V Faction: Bulbatized

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3136 - 6603 - 1330

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast