Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname? - Page 6

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

Okay guys, after talking it through with @twinArmageddons; we've decided that it's best to put a ban on discussing the possible political ramifications of the name "Axis Generation". Whether or not people will look at the name and think it's a reference to the Axis Powers of World War 2 or not...really isn't the point of this thread, so any further discussion will lead to warnings/infractions and possibly even the thread being closed if it continues.

You can still discuss the name in relation to mathematics and whether or not the possible link to 3D with X/Y (and possibly a future Z) versions referencing the axes will be more significant than a possible link to the XY chromosomes and genetics etc, but Evil Figment has made it clear at this point that Bulbapedia will not risk any possible offence or misunderstanding that may arise from using "Axis Generation", due to said unfortunate link to the Axis Powers.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 9th January 2013 at 09:59 AM.

Nyx

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    According to Bulbapedia it's the "Genetic Generation". Umm....
    Well, WE make Bulbapedia, so I think it should be voted among us and then, when a nickname is chosen, put it in the article, not before (seriously, who put the name in there?).

I mean, the Generation hasn't even started, hell, it was only announced a few hours ago, yet it already has an established nickname? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Just because Bulbapedia says it, it doesn't mean it's definitive.

I mean, I actually like Genetic Generation, (although I like other names better, plus, with GENESECT being the last Pokémon before the srat of Gen VI's Pokédex, it would be a little confusing), but even then, I disagree with the method of naming it: just putting a random name . After all, nicknames come off spontaneously, naturally, and fan nicknames are given by... well, fans. Therefore one or two guys putting an arbitrary name without previous consensus by the fandom just kills the purpose and nature of a fan nickname.

I propose of remove the 'Genetic Generation' nickname from the article and once we have settled for one, we put it down.
    That's what I was thinking, whoever put "Genetic Generation" there should remove it for now.

Btw, we could really use a poll here...

Lick...Lick...Lick :P ShinyRiolu's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Okay guys, after talking it through with @twinArmageddons; we've decided that it's best to put a ban on discussing the possible political ramifications of the name "Axis Generation". Whether or not people will look at the name and think it's a reference to the Axis Powers of World War 2 or not...really isn't the point of this thread, so any further discussion will lead to warnings/infractions and possibly even the thread being closed if it continues.

You can still discuss the name in relation to mathematics and whether or not the possible link to 3D with X/Y (and possibly a future Z) versions referencing the axes will be more significant than a possible link to the XY chromosomes and genetics etc, but Evil Figment has made it clear at this point that Bulbapedia will not risk any possible offence or misunderstanding that may arise from using "Axis Generation", due to said unfortunate link to the Axis Powers.
    So we can no longer SAY it at all or just the negative assumptions of it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRiolu View Post

So we can no longer SAY it at all or just the negative assumptions of it?
    You can still talk about the plausibility of the name "Axis Generation" in regards to the XYZ Axis symbolism vs Chromosome symbolism and which one, if any, are more important to the games (which we really won't know about until we know about the games anyway). However, posters will have to accept that as it stands, the name won't be used by Bulbagarden.

The only thing that is not allowed to be discussed is the use of the word "Axis" outside of the definition of mathematics, which is where people are suggesting the symbolism to this generation. So no talking about the Axis Powers, Axis of Evil and possibly misinterpretations of "Axis Generations"'s connections to them.

You can still talk about the plausibility of the name "Axis Generation" in regards to the XYZ Axis symbolism vs Chromosome symbolism and which one, if any, are more important to the games (which we really won't know about until we know about the games anyway). However, posters will have to accept that as it stands, the name won't be used by Bulbagarden.
    Can we still discuss the possibility of it being the "Axes" or "Axial Generation"... or should we throw those out as well? I would totally understand removing the possibility of "Axes" because, let's be honest, it sounds too much like "Axis" in spoken and written form.

tl;dr possibility of it being "Axial" if the whole gene theme falls through?

I personally am fond of the nickname letter generation as it s simple and to the point much like the gen 1 and 2 names were. Other names that are growing on me are Coordinate and 3D since it makes more sense in gen 6 (advance for gen 3 has a similar justification, hence why I'm for it).

Will there be a poll to gauge choices or is it too early for that?

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Pokemaster View Post
    The theme is clearly based on both themes as denoted from several clues, including the double DNA helix on the logos and Yveltal's base species.
    You mean Xerneas and I seriously doubt the connection to the Chital just because it has the word 'axis' in its name. Sounded more like someone just googled deer and possibly related words together.

That said, why isn't anyone considering what both genes and planar coordinates have in common?

So suggesting the Map Generation. Coordinates are mapped, and so are genes.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

The "Point" generation--you know, with x and y (and, potentially, z, and more) coordinates.

Points for me. (League - 1, Rest - 0.) Thread closed, discussion over. (Actually I'm not quite sure how authoritative we are to find Bulbagarden's fiat, or that of its members, on this matter of shorthand. It's also odd to proactively give something a nickname. As for me I've always referred to a referred-to generation with its numeral, I, IV, etc.)
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tiger View Post
    That said, why isn't anyone considering what both genes and planar coordinates have in common?

So suggesting the Map Generation. Coordinates are mapped, and so are genes.
    Boom. I like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownStory View Post
    Can we still discuss the possibility of it being the "Axes" or "Axial Generation"... or should we throw those out as well? I would totally understand removing the possibility of "Axes" because, let's be honest, it sounds too much like "Axis" in spoken and written form.

tl;dr possibility of it being "Axial" if the whole gene theme falls through?
    I don't see why not.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

To confirm. The only name that is vetoed is axis. Axes and axial are fine by me.

I just thought of something:

What if the larger Pokemon fanbase - the ones not associated with Bulbapedia at all - call it the Axis Generation?

It would be a case of Bulbapedia making another name for it entirely, leading to arguments ("Axis!" "Axial!"), with Bulbapedia's term likely losing out against the many more fans that may or may not use it

What would Bulbapedia do then? I mean, after all, it can't force the Fandom to not call it one name

Blog Entries
    Follow RainbowSylveon On Twitter Add RainbowSylveon on Facebook
    Follow RainbowSylveon on Tumblr Visit RainbowSylveon's Youtube Channel

Ya know, I actually never thought of the word axial -- I've actually honestly never heard it before -- and if these games really do follow the map and graph thing that everyone's talking about, it could be called the Axial Generation, which sounds awesome.

Of course, going with genes and everything, I've been thinking about Chromosomal Generation, which sounds cool, too.
    Claims: Oshawott, Ice Body, Magmarizer, Griseous Orb (July 1, 2012) Cross Poison (September 26, 2012)

Tumblr | Twitter | Playthrough Blog

Fennekindle ==> RainbowSylveon

Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

I think Genetic would be good. So would DNA, Chromosomal, and Plane (to avoid political problems mentioned before). It all depends on which kind of X and Y they mean, if it even applies to coordinates or genes.

Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

ESPURR INTENSIFIES. MegaDinoBlaze's Avatar

Genetic.
    X Team:
    Greninja(Frubble),Simisage(Sage),Charizard(Flamey)Aurorus(Aurora),Aerodactyl(Aeron),Lucario(Anubis)
    Y Team:
    Chesnaught(Chip),Talonflame(Arrow),Blastoise(Typhoon),Meowstic(Kit),Tyrantrum(Tiny),Avalugg(Bergster )

Froakie is the cutest. THING. EVER.

The Variable Generation or Axis Generation (especially if Z is the 3rd game, because that would translate to the three axes needed to make 3 dimensions aka 3DS)- if they're named because of Algebra and Geometry

The Genetic Generation - if they're named because of chromosomes
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 9th January 2013 at 09:01 PM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast