Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname? - Page 5

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 179
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

  1. #61
    Miss me? Regiruler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Blossom City
    Posts
    1,481
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    If there is a clear Z, its confirmed Axis generation. Til' then, its up for debate either way.

    My personal vote is for axis (2D plane), if for nothing else is that you can come up with a better battle cry for it: "Race across the cosmic plane!"
    VeggiePopper likes this.

  2. #62
    Dimensional Forger Cryonetics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    18

    Follow Cryonetics on Tumblr

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Seeings as the game only was announced today, I'd wait for further information as to what everything is about first before attempting to establish a name for this generation yet.
    VeggiePopper and Rex Kamex like this.

  3. #63
    Is Not A Moderator TerraTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,095
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Its obviously based on Axis so there is my vote

  4. #64
    The Original Sylveon The Guardian Sylveon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Snowbelle City
    Posts
    716
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Genetic sounds good and so does Axis.

    Team Eeveelution All The Way!!!

  5. #65
    Doc Octillery FTW VeggiePopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silent Bridge
    Posts
    4,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    According to Bulbapedia it's the "Genetic Generation". Umm....
    Well, WE make Bulbapedia, so I think it should be voted among us and then, when a nickname is chosen, put it in the article, not before (seriously, who put the name in there?).

    I mean, the Generation hasn't even started, hell, it was only announced a few hours ago, yet it already has an established nickname? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Just because Bulbapedia says it, it doesn't mean it's definitive.

    I mean, I actually like Genetic Generation, (although I like other names better, plus, with GENESECT being the last Pokémon before the srat of Gen VI's Pokédex, it would be a little confusing), but even then, I disagree with the method of naming it: just putting a random name . After all, nicknames come off spontaneously, naturally, and fan nicknames are given by... well, fans. Therefore one or two guys putting an arbitrary name without previous consensus by the fandom just kills the purpose and nature of a fan nickname.

    I propose of remove the 'Genetic Generation' nickname from the article and once we have settled for one, we put it down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonetics View Post
    Seeings as the game only was announced today, I'd wait for further information as to what everything is about first before attempting to establish a name for this generation yet.
    This. Why rush things if it isn't necessary?

    Anyways, back on topic, so far my favorite one is Chromosome Generation. Sounds more mysterious and less cliche to me.


    Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

  6. #66
    H.M
    H.M is offline
    MY OPINIONS!!!11one H.M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    564
    Follow H.M On Twitter
    Follow H.M on Tumblr

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    I like DNA/Chromosome/Coordinate Generation. I would rather wait until some more info gets out before naming the generation at least.

    Oshawott used Baton Pass!
    ~Tumblr~Twitter~


  7. #67
    Can he fix it? Bob the Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The construction site
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Why the hell is it Genetic Generation on Bulbapedia? Alpha Generation makes much more sense.

  8. #68
    Chaos Trainer UnknownStory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Not using the term "Axis" because the Nazi's used it is basically confirming that it's a Nazi-only term. It's like people trying to point out some innocent statement as racist...it wasn't inherently racist, but now you've attempted to attach racism to said statement. Refusing to use a term because some ****-heads about a hundred years ago used it for their "cool kids club" is attaching Nazi-ism to the term "Axis," which is not inherently "Nazi."

    I say wait. We have overlapping information, and it could go either way (Genetic or Axis)... but if the information leans more towards the Axis, then maybe Bulbapedia tries "Axes Generation" instead. Yes, axis is plural for axes, and there is more than one game obviously, but it would still work and could make everybody happy in the end. Please, however, take the above paragraph to heart...don't attach symbolism to something that inherently never had that symbolism in the first place. This is Pokemon, people...nobody is gonna go "Axis Generation...NAZI PROPAGANDA," unless it's the same people that beat down our doors either way (people who think Pokemon is satanic, for example) and we can and will ignore it/fight it faithfully because we have truth on our side.

    Last, 3D Generation? Get out. They are making the switch and we can presume they will stick to 3D from now on, so that will be utterly confusing. This is the same problem our ancestors had with naming fruits and vegetables..."what's that called?" "Oh...well, it's orange, so lets call it an orange." "Okay then, what's that?" *points to a carrot* "Oh ****. Uh, 'long pointies'? Maybe we go by shapes now?"

  9. #69
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,499
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    The symbolism is already there whether we like it or not. We're not going to ignore existing symbolism (even if it's not the only meaning) because some people don't like it. <

    Using axis in a mathematical setting is perfectly fine. Pokémon is not maths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

  10. #70
    Chaos Trainer UnknownStory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    The symbolism is already there whether we like it or not. We're not going to ignore existing symbolism (even if it's not the only meaning) because some people don't like it. <
    ...and I quote from Bulbapedia: "The first generation of Pokémon games, known among older fans as the color generation"

    Quite frequently in the south (and other places) the term "colored" is used in a racist matter to denote a person of darker skin. The symbolism is there, but I guess we can let that slide, huh? ;)

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Using axis in a mathematical setting is perfectly fine.
    Why is it fine in a mathematical setting but not fine in a Pokemon setting? Way to indirectly link Nazi-ism to Pokemon. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Pokémon is not maths.
    360058-pokemon_its_serious_business_super.jpeg

    Pokemon is all maths.
    Jolty94 and Owain like this.

  11. #71
    Agent Titanium CrimsonoftheOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    26

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Helix Generation, Hybrid Generation, Axis Generation...

  12. #72
    The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cianwood City, Johto
    Posts
    109
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    I'd go with Genetic Generation.... It sounds fresh.
    N is finished yet.

  13. #73
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,499
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by UnknownStory View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    The symbolism is already there whether we like it or not. We're not going to ignore existing symbolism (even if it's not the only meaning) because some people don't like it. <
    ...and I quote from Bulbapedia: "The first generation of Pokémon games, known among older fans as the color generation"

    Quite frequently in the south (and other places) the term "colored" is used in a racist matter to denote a person of darker skin. The symbolism is there, but I guess we can let that slide, huh? ;)
    Color doesn't have the same symbolism as colored, anymore than axes has the same symbolism as axis, axial, or any other axis-based words.

    In the same light, Axial generation, or Axes generation would be perfectly fine, because they have zero symbolic association whatsoever - it's specifically Axis that does.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Using axis in a mathematical setting is perfectly fine.
    Why is it fine in a mathematical setting but not fine in a Pokemon setting? Way to indirectly link Nazi-ism to Pokemon. :P
    It is fine in mathematical settings because in maths "axis" has an obvious technical meaning that's unrelated to the historical one.
    In games (like Pokémon), "Axis" doesn't have any obvious meaning. A reference to Axis in the title can just as much be a reference to the Nazis as a reference to dimensions as a reference to graphs. There's no obvious way to tell, unless you happen to already know the reason the name was chosen.

    Now, imagine Random kid player X. He mentions to his friend, within his World War Two Vet (or even worse, holocaust survivor) great-grandfather's earshot "I love the Axis generation!" or "I love the Axis games!".

    Imagine the vet/survivor's reaction.

    "But that's what they call it on Bulbagarden!" the kid says to angry gramp. Who will have people willing to listen to him.
    And then suddenly there's a controversy and we're stuck in it.

    That's why "Axis generation" is not happening. Because if we name it that there ARE people, out there, who won't realize what the name refer to, and who will instead leap to the historical association, and they will resent the name, and they're the sort of people that still have advocacy power. We have no interest in getting these people riled up, so no, "Axis generation" will not be used.

    Axes generation, Axial generation, are all perfectly fine options if you want to refer to the X,Y axes (assuming that's evven what the game refer to, which I find to be a laughable notion given the DNA helixes on the Japanese game logos). Axis? Not fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

  14. #74
    Chaos Trainer UnknownStory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    I'd agree with Axial as well, just to get rid of all the nonsense. I can see the blowback from WWII vets now that you've shed light on it.

    The info is strongly pointing toward Genetics though, and "Genetic Generation" (Gene-eration haha) does sound very cool. You never know with Game Freak...maybe they mean it as BOTH Axial and Genetic. I hope it is Genetic, because that means that it will possibly bring back 'round Mew and Mewtwo, and past star plot Pokemon in a new storyline would be an interesting twist. Maybe an epic battle toward the end with Mewtwo and Deoxys teaming up as bad guys and the two new mascots defending the region against them? *coughDLCcough* Time will tell.

    Edit: Also, humorously, googling "Axis Generation" came up with this in one of the first few results: http://generationaxis.tumblr.com/

    It's a Ministry. So it couldn't be that bad, right?

    *Crickets*

    Right? .-.
    Last edited by UnknownStory; 9th January 2013 at 09:47 AM.

  15. #75
    ... ... ... Ash_Pokemaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    584

    Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    (assuming that's evven what the game refer to, which I find to be a laughable notion given the DNA helixes on the Japanese game logos).
    The theme is clearly based on both themes as denoted from several clues, including the double DNA helix on the logos and Yveltal's base species.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •