Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname? - Page 4

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

Default Re: Color, Metal, Advance... Generation VI's nickname?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    We associate it with both, because it means both. Axis means a line on a graph. It also means the Japan-Italy-Germany alliance during World War II. Pretending it has only one meaning (or mean more thing more than the other) is either a deliberate lie, or worse, a demonstration of ignorance.

Which is why we're not infracting anyone for suggesting the name (because we know pertinently well they're suggesting it because of the mathematic association, and not because they're nazi supporters), but won't use it ourselves (because we know just as pertinently well that there WILL be people making the Nazi association and being offended by it, and we're not interested in putting up with the consequences of THAT just to satisfy butt-hurt maths fans).

Live with it.
    Obviously, it is Bulbagarden that makes the final call on what is admissible. Just stating my opinion on the whole matter.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Josh, I quote another wiki right back at you :

The Axis powers (German: Achsenmächte, Italian: Potenze dell'Asse, Japanese: 枢軸国 Sūjikukoku), also known as the Axis alliance, Axis nations, Axis countries, or just the Axis
    See the last one. Yes, Axis does mean that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Whatever this generation is called, what does it matter? All that matters is the adventures and experiences we share in the games.
    Last edited by hurristat; 8th January 2013 at 09:43 PM.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Heredity Generation.
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Blog Entries

Since X and Y refer to both coordinates and chromosomes (the latter would make Z stand out if there is one), I think we should wait and see which term has more importance.

Until then, something akin to "DNA/Gene Gen" (doubly so if the 'Z' is another X and we get XX and XY)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gollumbells View Post
    Seriously....

What on earth has the war got to do with a Pokemon game? Grow up. It happened long ago, and it is not uncommon for a word to have two different meanings.

Whatever this generation is called, what does it matter? All that matters is the adventures and experiences we share in the games.
    Nobody calls them by these names anyway so it I agree it honestly doesn't matter much what it is called. People just say Gen VI anyway, so yeah, let's just go with something.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Definitely Axis generation

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Miar View Post
    Since X and Y refer to both coordinates and chromosomes (the latter would make Z stand out if there is one), I think we should wait and see which term has more importance.

Until then, something akin to "DNA/Gene Gen" (doubly so if the 'Z' is another X and we get XX and XY)
    Oh, that's a good one, the DNA generation (still like the Nuclear Generation though ;) )!

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

I'd suggest Generation X, but that might be problematic when we reach... well, Generation X.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Given how "X" is often associated with mysterious things, I'd expect "The Mysterious Generation", still, we don't know what the exact theme of Gen 6 is right now, as the games were only announced today.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Blog Entries
    Follow Durbe On Twitter Add Durbe on Facebook

How about the 3DNA generation?
    FC: 2723-9571-7949 IGN: Toshiro

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Since when the fuck has IV been known as the 3D generation. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to retcon that. As in can we like have a poll on bulbapedia or something to change it. A. I understand why it fits, but think there are much better options and B. This now creates quite a large discrepancy with that name.

I'm a fan of the Helix Generation, if it does in fact have DNA as its main focus. I love alliteration as much as the next guy, but Genetic Generation doesn't sound quite right to me.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gollumbells View Post
    Seriously....

What on earth has the war got to do with a Pokemon game? Grow up. It happened long ago, and it is not uncommon for a word to have two different meanings.

Of course it's not uncommon for a word to have two meanings. And when using those words in context, it's perfectly fine. No one would criticize you for talking about axis while describign a graph, or a line, or something that falls under the clear definition of Axis.

That's not the case here, though. Here, we're using the word out of context. There's nothing mathematical or statistical or graph-related in what we're describing: it's a pokémon game. And, when using words out of context, you need to keep all possible meanings in mind. Not just the one that fits your gag. Because not everyone will get your gag at a glance, and some people might - almost certainly will - go for the other meanings of the word.

As for it happened a long time ago: there are still people alive who fought in that war, or lived through it. Still people alive who survived the holocaust. Many of them (the US govt estimate about 1.4 million US soldiers who served during the war are still alive). They're probably (most of them) not playing pokémon, but do you imagine perhaps some of them have grandchildren and grandnephews? Who might be playing the game?

For something like World War II, with the scale of the death, suffering and devastation involved, a lifetime is not long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I vote for Axis Generation, as that's obviously where X and Y take their names from.
    yep. axis gen though they need a Z game to have all three axis or if they wabnted a machinest ot cnc edition

Generation IV should be renamed the Jewel Generation. Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, they're all associated with jewellery. Generation III could've been called the Gemstone Generation.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast