Character Discussion Thread - Page 84

Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1408
Like Tree602Likes

Thread: Character Discussion Thread

Default Re: Character Discussion Thread

Is BW2 the last time that we're going to see Ghetsis? I think there's a lot more to the story behind him, especially with that damaged face business.
    Brett: No, no, I just want you to know... I just want you to know how sorry we are that things got so messed up with us and Mr. Wallace. We got into this thing with the best intentions and I never...
    Jules:*shoots random guy on couch*
    I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions... What's the matter?...Oh, you were finished! Well, allow me to retort. What does Marcellus Wallace look like?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manaphione View Post
    Is BW2 the last time that we're going to see Ghetsis? I think there's a lot more to the story behind him, especially with that damaged face business.
    I think this is the last of Ghetsis we'll see. He seems to have gone completely batshit insane by the end of B2/W2, if you take the Shadow Triad's word on it post-game.

It's a shame, really. I thought he had a lot of potential to be an interesting villain. But, just like with the previous leaders of evil organizations, he was given little to no backstory. All we know is that he apparently traveled the world and gathered six other sages and a few unfortunate orphans. We never learn what Ghetsis's motivations are for forming Team Plasma and taking over Unova, or where his "start of darkness" began. And there's nothing about where he came from or who his family was, or if "Ghetsis Harmonia" was even his real name.

At least with Cyrus, we learned that he was a disappointment to his parents, despite doing well for himself. But there's just too many blanks when it comes to Ghetsis's origins.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    I don't know at all why this is surprising. A lot of people in real life are taller than the average height of a lot of these top-tier Pokemon. I think the anime just distorts our views on their height. I mean, no one really thinks Dragonite is an entire foot taller than Garchomp. Salamence, standing on all fours, is shorter than five feet tall.
    Yes, I'm well aware that people in real life are taller than some of the pokemon that are considered to be tall. But I said that in the pokemon world he is a man-giant as we haven't ever seen anyone, to my knowledge, that is that tall. All adults seem to be usually around the same height, while "kids" like Ash & Co are shown to be smaller than them (obviously xD).
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Yes, I'm well aware that people in real life are taller than some of the pokemon that are considered to be tall. But I said that in the pokemon world he is a man-giant as we haven't ever seen anyone, to my knowledge, that is that tall. All adults seem to be usually around the same height, while "kids" like Ash & Co are shown to be smaller than them (obviously xD).
    We really aren't given the height of any other in-game characters. Ghetsis, while tall, certainly isn't a "man-giant" and we have no reason to believe people in the Pokemon World don't reach the same height as they do in the real world. All we know for sure is that our 11 year old protagonists (e.g., Ethan, Lyra) are 4'11". I wouldn't really call that short for an 11 year old.

And the anime is just a really terrible comparison given that they scale Pokemon to their own liking.

Blog Entries

We also know N's height, which is 180cm.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Zeb
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

We really aren't given the height of any other in-game characters. Ghetsis, while tall, certainly isn't a "man-giant" and we have no reason to believe people in the Pokemon World don't reach the same height as they do in the real world. All we know for sure is that our 11 year old protagonists (e.g., Ethan, Lyra) are 4'11". I wouldn't really call that short for an 11 year old.
    You're misunderstanding me. I never meant that people in the pokemon world cannot/do not reach the same height as people in the real world. I was just saying that Ghetsis is tall. 6'07" is tall in the real world. And considering he's the same height as a Tropius and taller than a Garchomp, it makes him seem that much taller.

And "man-giant" was a joke btw. I was just meaning he's a big guy because I didn't expect him to be that tall.

And the anime is just a really terrible comparison given that they scale Pokemon to their own liking.
    I was talking about the people in the anime not the pokemon. I don't recall them scaling the people to whatever size they want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post

I was talking about the people in the anime not the pokemon. I don't recall them scaling the people to whatever size they want.
    And you were talking about Ghetsis' size in comparison to Garchomp, being surprised. I know you were talking about the people but you also compared Ghetsis' height to Pokemon as well as other anime characters, but fact is, the anime probably makes Garchomp much taller than the game's average.

Objectively, Garchomp and Tropius don't exceed the normal height range for humans, so the surprise is still a bit weird. It doesn't really say Ghetsis is tall (even though he his) so much as dinosaurs in this franchise are short.

Zeb
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

And you were talking about Ghetsis' size in comparison to Garchomp, being surprised.
    Yes, because Garchomp is 6'03" meaning Ghetsis is taller which surprised me (or Garchomp is smaller than I thought whichever you prefer).

I know you were talking about the people but you also compared Ghetsis' height to Pokemon as well as other anime characters, but fact is, the anime probably makes Garchomp much taller than the game's average.
    Where did I say that I was comparing Garchomp's height in the anime with Ghetsis's height? (because I wasn't and I never even said I was) I was only comparing them based on Garchomp's pokedex height figure (which is 6'03" Chomp vs this 6'07" Ghetsis).

Garchomp's size in the anime never came into it. So again, like I already said in my previous post, I was not talking about the pokemon in the anime, only the people.

Objectively, Garchomp and Tropius don't exceed the normal height range for humans, so the surprise is still a bit weird. It doesn't really say Ghetsis is tall (even though he his) so much as dinosaurs in this franchise are short.
    I'm not understanding how me being surprised that Ghetsis is 6'07" is weird. Am I not allowed to be surprised that a character is much taller than I thought they were? It's no different than seeing a photo of someone in real life, not really thinking to yourself how tall they are/could be, then being shocked when you see them in person and they are actually really big. There's nothing "weird" about it at all.

Edit #2: Outrage, if you want to carry this on then feel free to VM/PM me about it, but I have no interest carrying this on at all really in this thread (especially if other people see it as pointless; I don't particularly want to bog a thread down)

Edit: @below: no need to tell me it's pointless; all I did was express surprise at his height and I'm having to explain myself (and explain the same points repeatedly over, at that) >_> I don't see why my opinion needs to be picked apart so, but oh well. XD
    Last edited by Zeb; 18th July 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What a pointless discussion.

All of we are aware there's a lot of people in the world over 2m tall, but if we see one of them in the street, he/she won't pass unnoticed and the first reaction of most of us is a slight surprise. Specially in Japan, a country of rather small people.

And don't overthink about Pokémon sizes. In a leisure day, with a group of friends we made some calculations for the lulz. Natu is denser than Golem, Steelix floats in water, and Wailord is a balloon barely heavier than air. So don't take Pokédex sizes too seriously.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, when your advertised "heaviest Pokemon!" in Gen 1 is only 1000-so pounds, less than the giant rock rhinoceros, something's wrong.

Zeb
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

OK, let's not drag this thread off-topic by discussing pokemon weights that don't make sense etc (weight is a different kettle of fish to height anyway, you have to take into account what the pokemon is made from etc, while height is just height mainly so it's not relevant to this height discussion at all).

If you want to discuss weights of pokemon then take it over to the Video Games section (or a blog, if you prefer).

Well, on the subject of characters and their height, Big-G is certainly MUCH taller than I expected. Not that there's many official heights to be surprised by, but 6'06" is like WHOA. I rarely see people that tall. In fact, I only saw one person that tall, at the gas stationed I worked at. I think that makes Big-G all the more menacing, that he's so freakin' tall. Especially in B2W2, where the protagonists looks like they're 10 again, and the wouldn't be much taller than 5'00".
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

BattleFanatic Eitarou's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial BoardModerator
    Blog Entries

LOOK! Concept art! We get actual artwork for characters who'll probably never get anything more than this.

Goddammit, Game Freak. Please prove me wrong!

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Absolutely love the design for Hugh! I wish I could play as him. :P
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eitarou View Post
    LOOK! Concept art! We get actual artwork for characters who'll probably never get anything more than this.

Goddammit, Game Freak. Please prove me wrong!
    Considering Colress, Iris, Marlon and Ghetsis are all in the same poses from their official art, I assume we'll eventually see the art of the rest. I mean, it would certainly be a waste not to get official art of The Shadow Triad, Banjirou, and Concordia/what's her name.

Still the Unova Champion in my book.

Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast