Character Discussion Thread - Page 31

Page 31 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Like Tree602Likes

Thread: Character Discussion Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Black & White 2 Character Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    I guess Cheren is no stranger to being a pain in the ass to battle. I never did like battling him post-game. >_>
    You can say that again. His Gigalith and starter are pains 'cause they don't go down in one hit...

So... Any idea what's up with Rood and the Plasma Grunt?

Blog Entries

I'm hoping Patrat's at least his leading Pokemon and not his ace in the hole, though the cynic in me says otherwise. But either way, Patrat's still very boring...
    The_Doctor and Phoenixphlare like this.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Deox View Post
    So... Any idea what's up with Rood and the Plasma Grunt?
    In that screenshot, I think Rood is talking about N understanding the hearts of Pokemon, and becoming a stronger and better person because of it.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

i love cheren's development.

a power-hungry douchebag hipster took everything the brilliant champion alder taught him to heart to become the least powerful gym leader using baby little pokemons and teaching the lessons he learned to new trainers so that nobody else becomes a gigantic douchebag like he was.

spectacular.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post
    i love cheren's development.

a power-hungry douchebag hipster took everything the brilliant champion alder taught him to heart to become the least powerful gym leader using baby little pokemons and teaching the lessons he learned to new trainers so that nobody else becomes a gigantic douchebag like he was.

spectacular.
    Splendid post. This is what makes Cheren an awesome character.

If he have chosen to be the last gym leader, he would probably still be a douchebag like he was and some other gym leader still is.
    Last edited by Reila; 15th September 2013 at 12:09 AM.
    UnovaCastaway likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post

If he have chosen to be the last gym leader, he would probably still be a douchebag like he was and some other gym leader still is.
    A brooding douchebag. Seems like eighth gyms are notorious for gym leaders who think they're better than everyone else. Granted, most of them actually were (though Clair seems to have had an overinflated ego thanks to essentially being royalty in Blackthorn and the Champion's cousin, and Maylene's rematch Pokemon were stronger than Volkner's suggesting she may have had a stronger potential), but it's nice to actually have a gym leader who probably is more qualified than the Elite 4, and not brag about their power.

While Cheren becoming Gym Leader (or Champion) was obvious, I really feared his becoming a Gym Leader since I was afraid he'd become a carbon copy of Blue, or become a Champion and become a carbon copy of Alder. Being the first gym leader may actually be the best choice Game Freak could have made for him.
    Monster Mijumaru likes this.

Master of all balls. Pocket Ace's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well remember that what is the first Gym to us might not be the first Gym to other trainers in-game, and Gyms might act as power limiters if you're battling new inexperienced trainers. Like if there was a newbie trainer in Opelucid, I doubt Drayden/Iris would use a level 43 Haxorus. We know that Cheren has stronger Pokémon in his arsenal and might use that for potentially stronger trainers.

But other than that, you're right, Cheren's an awesome character with great character development. :D And it is noteworthy that his Gym is the trainer school (right?) so he'll teach new trainers not to be like his old douchey self. I do wonder if he'll be a teacher/mentor of sorts since he's at the trainer school.
    Kwame120 likes this.

Credits to @Power of Aura :D

El_
    Blog Entries

While I agree that Cheren's character development is good, he was never a douchebag to begin with. He was never really rude, nor was he power hungry to the point that even if he hadn't changed, it would not have particular hurt anyone.

Those two honors belong to douchebag Silver, not Cheren. But anyways, I am glad that he essentially took the opposite route that Blue took. They both took paths that would best benefit their new ideals about Pokemon.

N set by smalllady
    Ideals/Truth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    A brooding douchebag. Seems like eighth gyms are notorious for gym leaders who think they're better than everyone else. Granted, most of them actually were (though Clair seems to have had an overinflated ego thanks to essentially being royalty in Blackthorn and the Champion's cousin, and Maylene's rematch Pokemon were stronger than Volkner's suggesting she may have had a stronger potential), but it's nice to actually have a gym leader who probably is more qualified than the Elite 4, and not brag about their power.
    The only ones who don't think that they are better than any other trainer are Drayden and Iris.
    Or maybe they think, but don't express in words? Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    While Cheren becoming Gym Leader (or Champion) was obvious, I really feared his becoming a Gym Leader since I was afraid he'd become a carbon copy of Blue, or become a Champion and become a carbon copy of Alder. Being the first gym leader may actually be the best choice Game Freak could have made for him.
    I was certain that Cheren would be the new Blue. I am really glad I was wrong.

Talking about Iris, I wonder if she will still be a gym leader in BW2.
    I really want to see her older self.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El_ View Post
    Those two honors belong to douchebag Silver, not Cheren. But anyways, I am glad that he essentially took the opposite route that Blue took. They both took paths that would best benefit their new ideals about Pokemon.
    I disagree with that last line. I think for Blue, becoming a gym leader was fading into obscurity while trying to cling onto what he once had:

"Who are you? My name's Blue. I was once the Kanto Champion. Although it was short-lived thanks to Red... Anyway, take a good look around you... A volcano erupts, and just like that, a whole town disappears. We can go on winning and losing in Pokémon, but if nature so much as twitches, we can be overwhelmed in a second... That's the way it is... But, anyway, I'm still a Trainer. If I see a strong opponent, it makes me want to battle. If you want to battle me... for real, show me how many Kanto Badges you've got. ... <0 to 6 Badges>... You're not ready to battle me..."
    Honestly, that bold line makes it seem like he thinks his battle with Red could have gone either way, even though Oak's line suggests otherwise: "...do you understand why you lost? You have forgotten to treat your Pokémon with love and trust. Without them, you will never become a Champ again!"

Do you see how he addresses the current Johto League Champion? Beat him, and he still wonders why he lost.

@Nyarlathotep;

Even if Drayden and Iris were like that, I think they were too busy making sure the PC (since the PC was chosen by N as his adversary) was strong enough to save the world. I mean, even if they acted like that, they actually have just cause for telling you that you aren't ready (given that the fate of Unova rests on your shoulders). Actually, when I think about it, why didn't Drayden and Iris test you further!
    Last edited by The Outrage; 14th May 2012 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries

I can see the new rival looking down on Cheren after defeating him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I don't think he will be this kind of character.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I don't think he will be this kind of character.
    I think it was mentioned that he has a bit of a power obsession too (at least with regards to "Pokemon strengths")

Blog Entries

He seems obsessed with strength for reasons that concerns his younger sister. I think he would love to show her that he can defeat teacher Cheren.

Blog Entries

Yeah, but looking down on Cheren after beating him?
    What a douchebag.

Page 31 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast