Catching or hatching a shiny without using the pokeradar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Catching or hatching a shiny without using the pokeradar

Cool Catching or hatching a shiny without using the pokeradar

Today, i was randomly hatching eggs for fun and came across my first shiny i ever got myself on the diamond version! It was a blue turtwig. Anyways, i am wondering, have you ever came across a shiny pokemon on diamond or pearl without using the pokeradar? if so, post here. ( not from the gts ) Also, if you have any tips for finding random shinies, please post them to this thread. My first question is, Is it harder to hatch a second shiny then the first one? Thanks if you answer my question! Anyways, when ever you feel like discussing a shiny you came across without the pokeradar, then post here.
    I love shinies!!

Please view my thread on catching shiny pokemon without using the pokeradar:

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/catching-hatching-shiny-without-using-pokeradar-23171/?highlight=shiny

On a path of trouble (for others) and fun (for me).

Shinies are random when you're not using the PokeRadar. And even on the Pokeradar it's technically random. The only difference is that you're constantly running into the same Pokemon, so it's bound to show up eventually. Like rolling 3 dice until you get 6 on all three at once. The chances are slim, but if you keep rolling, they eventually pop up.

Anyway, I caught a Shiny Lairon on Ruby. I traded it to my friend, who has since lost track of it >>;;

Hmmm... I caught my first shiny, a meditite, It was so random, i was just walkin around and Laaaaa... But i traded it for a Deoxys...

Registered User Someone without Imaginati's Avatar

uuuh,well, I got 5 shinies from emerald. Does that count ?
    Look this post http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/402142-post2567.html
    to look what I can offerand what I want,
    I got this Shinies: Magneton, Mightyena, Sableye, Steelix, Beedrill and Crobat. If anyone wants to trade for them, PM me, I trade any of them for The Toys R Us manaphy,
    BREAKING NEWS Hilary Clinton to be voted as the Hottiest woman of the year, along with Paris HIlton, Pamela Anderson and Britney Baldy Spears

Cool, Thats awsome! It took me two months to get just One! Wanna trade? I gotta go.

Now with free toasters!

Caught a Shiny Zubat in that small cave above Route 204 on the first day I had Diamond. It's name is Lucky.

Buuburn is my Homeslice.

In my past games I caught a red Donphan in Silver and a red Gyarados in Gold. I'm not the luckiest person in the world, so shinies are pretty hard to come by when I play. I reckon they hide.
    I love the idea of hatching a shiny though, especially when it comes to starters... maybe my Squirtle will be shiny when it hatches?

Proud owner of a Legitimate Darkrai.
    24/08/2007
    ---
    Pokemon Pearl Friend Code
    "Holden"
    2663-9459-1419

Quote Originally Posted by shinypearl View Post
    Anyways, i am wondering, have you ever came across a shiny pokemon on diamond or pearl without using the pokeradar?
    Hatched a shiny Larvitar. =)

Also, if you have any tips for finding random shinies, please post them to this thread.
    Persistence, persistence, persistence. Did I mention persistence?

My first question is, Is it harder to hatch a second shiny then the first one?
    No, it's exactly the same - though it feels harder, since your expectations were raised by the first shiny. =)

Quote Originally Posted by ロキさま View Post
    And even on the Pokeradar it's technically random. The only difference is that you're constantly running into the same Pokemon, so it's bound to show up eventually. Like rolling 3 dice until you get 6 on all three at once. The chances are slim, but if you keep rolling, they eventually pop up.
    I beg to differ - there are theories that say the probability increases the longer the chain gets, with lots of maths to back it up. And even if the theory is wrong, we're busy collecting evidence in the Chaining for Shinies thread which shows that it's pretty good in at least some areas. Currently we're averaging around fifty to seventy-five resets per shiny at a chain of forty, which is exactly what you'd expect if longer chains increased the probability to about one in two hundred. If it didn't raise the odds, the number of expected resets is more in the range of two thousand, and so far noone at all has gone anywhere near that far without seeing a shiny - if memory serves, the record is somewhere around two hundred resets. To use your dice analogy, the game rigs the dice so that one of them always rolls a six, so you've still got pretty long odds, but they're not quite as long.

Read the Chaining for Shinies thread for details. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Masterkraft View Post
    In my past games I caught a red Donphan in Silver and a red Gyarados in Gold.
    Maybe I'm getting my generations mixed up, but isn't the shiny Gyarados always there in Gold?
    Looking for legendaries - can you help?
    Details here.

I caught the shiny Gyarados in Crystal, but then again everyone has...

I did catch a Shiny Giratina in Pearl, though :) (NOT FOR TRADE!)

You need luck and persitance to catch Shinies, and balls. Lots and lots of balls (...That sounds SO wrong)

EDIT: Typo.

I had several. :p I caught a shiny Swablu in ruby - my first shiny ever, after the red gyarados, lol. I also caught a yellow spearow, a yellow exeggcute, and a green lairon in the 3rd gen games. I also got a blue tentacool and a blue ralts, but lost 'em both to game resets. :( At least I got another blue ralts due to chaining, lol. Finally, I got a green machoke in Diamond. :p Not from the radar. That one was especially exciting, because I just knew my battery was about to run out at any moment, lol.

Stealthy Ninja Mario - A Crossover through Realms

I Hate Pokemon! | The Ballad of Captain Clefairy
    Click to see my shinies. <-- Please don't PM me asking to trade for my shinies. If I want to trade them, I'll post them on my trade/want list.

i got a shiny turtwig from the gts for a purugly!! can u believe it?! wat a noob!

The first shiny I ever saw was a shiny snubbull in silver. It friggin ran away! I was so surprised by it since I never really new about shinies until then(I thought that the red gyarados was just a one time thing that never happens again). I got a shiny torchic(no a shiny blaziken) from breeding in emerald, also a shiny ditto in emerald. I got a shiny numel and sentret in diamond(both of which evolved). I got a shiny dialga in a trade as well. That's about it.
    Last edited by Sand Man; 15th September 2007 at 01:36 PM.

On a path of trouble (for others) and fun (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Belthazar View Post
    I beg to differ - there are theories that say the probability increases the longer the chain gets, with lots of maths to back it up. And even if the theory is wrong, we're busy collecting evidence in the Chaining for Shinies thread which shows that it's pretty good in at least some areas. Currently we're averaging around fifty to seventy-five resets per shiny at a chain of forty, which is exactly what you'd expect if longer chains increased the probability to about one in two hundred. If it didn't raise the odds, the number of expected resets is more in the range of two thousand, and so far noone at all has gone anywhere near that far without seeing a shiny - if memory serves, the record is somewhere around two hundred resets. To use your dice analogy, the game rigs the dice so that one of them always rolls a six, so you've still got pretty long odds, but they're not quite as long.

Read the Chaining for Shinies thread for details. =)
    Well the reason I personally don't believe 100% in the chaining theory is that there are plenty of people who have had forty or so in their chains and still didn't get a shiny Pokemon. Similarly, there have been people who claimed that they run into shiny Pokemon at 20 or less.

I'm not completely ruling out the idea that chaining increases the odds, but I'm not completely convinced either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dommy View Post
    i got a shiny turtwig from the gts for a purugly!! can u believe it?! wat a noob!
    *Cough* I'm not entirely certain that "noob" applies to the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ロキさま View Post
    Well the reason I personally don't believe 100% in the chaining theory is that there are plenty of people who have had forty or so in their chains and still didn't get a shiny Pokemon. Similarly, there have been people who claimed that they run into shiny Pokemon at 20 or less.
    There's a difference between a few people getting shinies at 20 or not getting shinies at 40, and people consistently getting shinies at a much higher rate than the standard probability should allow. That's the trick with probabilities.

The biggest problem is that you're most likely to hear about the outliers. That is, people are more likely to go "woo hoo! I got a shiny at six!" or "ARGH! I chained to eighty and never got a shiny" than they are to go "yep, I chained to forty and got seven shinies all 2500 steps apart." And even if the averagers are noisier, the outliers are more likely to stick in your mind, simply due to the human brain's ability to find patterns where there are none.

Granted, we've still not managed to get enough data to say with any confidence exactly what the probability is of getting a shiny at a chain of forty, but I still think there's enough evidence that it does raise the probability. I mean, have you ever heard of anyone getting a chain of eight thousand? Yet plenty of us have gotten shinies.
    Looking for legendaries - can you help?
    Details here.

Read the study pika(filb) made about it. It's in the game code. After 40 chained pokémon there's roughly a 1/200 chance of finding a shiny grass spot, and when one of those spots appears it forces the pokémon in there to be shiny (other grass spots have the normal 1/8192 chance).
    I posted a link to the article in the "shiny pokémon with the pokéradar" thread.
    White FC: 0604 5537 4225
    DW ID: 2/961913 [VISIT] [FRIEND REQ.]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast