The C-Gear - Useless in Single Player?

Thread: The C-Gear - Useless in Single Player?

Default The C-Gear - Useless in Single Player?

The C-Gear sounds cool and everything, but... will it actually have any purpose in single-player? It just seems to be for linking up over Wi-Fi, without any of the features that the Poketch has. For those of us who will be playing the game alone, without any intention of linking with other players, will that whole second screen be wasted? I never grow tired of tapping my Pearl team with the stylus, and I'm going to miss this feature in Black and White.
    Last edited by Taromon777; 27th January 2011 at 04:04 PM.
    White Team

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The C-Gear - Useless in Single Player?

Well, considering pokemon is meant to be a game where you play with others, anyone who doesn't utilize the c-gear is not getting the full benefit of the game.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

You can't access the EntraLink or Sync with the Global Link without the C-Gear.

Blog Entries
    Follow Tolan On Twitter
    Follow Tolan on Tumblr

In B/W, the C-Gear is used to RNG. So, if you do competitive battling, it is very useful.

Humanity's Strongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

The connectivity is a huge part of all Pokemon games
    tumblr(not spoiler free)

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

And with Wi-Fi, connectivity has never been easier. Most Pokemon fans are no longer, "forever alone".
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

Saying "You aren't getting the full use without connecting to other people" isn't what this thread is about, is it? Its asking if the C-Gear is useless in single player. Aside from RNG'ing it does sound useless. But I haven't read up on what it does so I can't really say.
    I claimed Squirtle.

My SoulSilver Info:
    Name: Allan
    Friend Code: 0818 5931 2255

Off the top of my head:

- You use C-Gear to Sync with the Dreamworld, which is largely single-player. Assuming there'll be an English localisation.

- Using the C-Gear to gather information from others helps you finish surveys and earn items in-game.

- Using C-Gear you can download time-limited powerups from hotspots, which can do things like increase the amount of experience your Pokemon receive.
    いまでは、ホラ
    笑いながら話ができるよ

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kiera2 View Post
    Off the top of my head:

- You use C-Gear to Sync with the Dreamworld, which is largely single-player. Assuming there'll be an English localisation.

- Using the C-Gear to gather information from others helps you finish surveys and earn items in-game.

- Using C-Gear you can download time-limited powerups from hotspots, which can do things like increase the amount of experience your Pokemon receive.
    An English localisation of the Global Link, including the Dream World, was confirmed yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Scizor View Post
    And with Wi-Fi, connectivity has never been easier. Most Pokemon fans are no longer, "forever alone".
    Wi-fi is truly a godsend. I remember in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gens it was so frustrating not being able to do trade evolutions or just trade in general for a pokemon I was having big trouble getting.

Now it's as simple as finding someone on the internet willing to trade, trade friend codes and away we go.
    Planned Pokemon White Team

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzard View Post
    Wi-fi is truly a godsend. I remember in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gens it was so frustrating not being able to do trade evolutions or just trade in general for a pokemon I was having big trouble getting.

Now it's as simple as finding someone on the internet willing to trade, trade friend codes and away we go.
    Do you need to have Wi-Fi connection in your house though? (I've only just started playing the Gen IV games so I don't have a clue...)
    White Team

Quote Originally Posted by Taromon777 View Post
    Do you need to have Wi-Fi connection in your house though? (I've only just started playing the Gen IV games so I don't have a clue...)
    Technically you only need to be in range of a compatible router. There are plently of public places that offer free Wi-Fi (like libraries and coffee shops) or you can ask a friend or neighbor if you can use their connection (or just use it anyway if it's an open network )

Blog Entries
    Follow Ziggy Stardust On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ♥告げ口心臓♥ View Post
    Technically you only need to be in range of a compatible router. There are plently of public places that offer free Wi-Fi (like libraries and coffee shops) or you can ask a friend or neighbor if you can use their connection (or just use it anyway if it's an open network )
    Yeah, I have a cable bandwidth connection and bought a WiFi router. Works great.

It's impossible, said pride. It's risky, said experience. OU suspect, yelled Smogon.

Join Team Aqua, we have hot girls
    I bet you didn't notice the guy behind

Blog Entries
    Follow hurristat On Twitter
    Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Ya, it sounds like it's useless in single player, but it also sounds like it was built for trading and whatnot, so it doesn't sound useless as a whole.

content reblog tumblr | dumb reblog tumblr | if youre able to figure out like seven or eight of these characters than we are going to be friends.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolanator View Post
    In B/W, the C-Gear is used to RNG. So, if you do competitive battling, it is very useful.
    Actually, it's less convenient to have it on because I heard advancements were done differently/were more chaotic than when it's off. The only reason it is useful is because we don't know how it works with it off. I could be wrong because I haven't been keeping up with developments in research.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.