Bug + Flying Pokemon can't fly! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bug + Flying Pokemon can't fly!

Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Bug + Flying Pokemon can't fly!

While I do agree pokemon like scyther should be able to fly, I see nothing wrong with pokemon like pidgey using it. If a Braviary can carry an automobile without hindering it's flight then why can't a rufflet pick up a human in it's talons and carry them. They're pokemon so their strength isn't that of normal birds. As for Arceus and mew, Arceus is the God of pokemon, while Mew is who they descended from previously so I see nothing wrong with it. Volcarona, and Hydreigon both have wings, and Genesect can fly as well as it was recently revealed.

I don't see why Mew shouldn't be able to learn Fly. Being able to learn all of the TMs and HMs is kind of its main thing. And weird as it is that small birds like Pidgey and Tailow can carry people around with Fly, that's no reason to keep them from being able to use it. It's still viable for them to use it in battle.

Gyarados should learn it for sure. For a Pokemon that has been around since Day 1, it sure it odd that it only has access to one Flying move.

Visit Rocky505's Youtube Channel

No gyarados shouldn't learn it. It doesn't fly. The only reason it is seen flying or floating in the 3d games is because it is supposed to be swimming.

"I'm just a passing through Pokemon Trainer,"

The Bulbapedia article says that he has been seen flying in the anime. As far as the games go, well I remember in Pokemon Stadium that Dodrio fought on the ground, yet he can learn Fly.

I always imagined the smaller Pokémon like Pidgey / Hoothoot / Taillow / Starly / Pidove carrying the trainer by their shoulders, gripping with their talons and really struggling to kep them aloft. It's a little cruel. :P

I agree a lot of Pokémon that can't learn Fly, should be able to; but it's likely one of those awkward throwbacks from the formative days of Red / Blue / Yellow. Balancing inhibits a lot of Pokémon from learning it, yet it's status as an HM and the way Pokémon gameplay mechanics operate makes it seem a bit odd and clunky.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

♦ ceaseless rain ♦ Neosquid's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Neosquid on Facebook
    Follow Neosquid on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanEatsCereal View Post
    I was replaying my pokemon platinum and I decided to use a Yanmega.
    Before I evolved it I was going to teach it fly but it wouldn't learn it.
    I waited evolved it and it still couldn't learn fly, by now I was really annoyed!
    So I decided to get a new bug flying pokemon, I went on to Bulbapedia and noticed that no bug flying pokemon could actually learn fly!

Now i decided to list some pokemon that can't fly that shouldn't and that should:
    Should:
    Gyarados, Jumpluff, Yanmega and Emolga.

Shouldn't:
    Pidgey, Spearow, Zubat, Farfetch'd, Dodou, Dodrio, HootHoot, Tailow, Wingull, Tropious, Starly, Chatot, Arceus, Mew, Pidove, Woobat, Ducklett, Golurk, Rufflet, Vullabey, Hydregion, Volcarona and Genesect.

Know any other pokemon that should or shouldn't fly post down below.
    Gyarados levitates.
    Jumpluff floats.
    Emolga glides.
    Yanmega I can see, yes. But what's with the list of things that shouldn't Fly? Maybe Dodrio and some of the smaller ones like Zubat and Pidgey, cause I doubt they can carry humans, but what's wrong with Tropius, Arceus, Mew, Golurk, Hydreigon, Volcarona, and Genesect? These Pokemon can legitimately fly, why shouldn't they be able to use the move? Just because something's not a Flying-type doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to learn Fly.

And Jumpluff and Emolga are no more capable of carrying a human than Starly, Woobat or anything. And I fail to see why Tropius is on this list, even with your logic.

Ducklett is quite okay. Spit a water fountain for the trainer to float up while flying. lol.

Well, that is what water pokemon do, right?
    Please call me LT, not XX or whatever. Thanks.

I think most Bug/Flying typed Pokémon are unable to use Fly because most insects in real life are not capable of flying at high heights.

Blog Entries
    Follow Ziggy Stardust On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanEatsCereal View Post
    I was replaying my pokemon platinum and I decided to use a Yanmega.
    Before I evolved it I was going to teach it fly but it wouldn't learn it.
    I waited evolved it and it still couldn't learn fly, by now I was really annoyed!
    So I decided to get a new bug flying pokemon, I went on to Bulbapedia and noticed that no bug flying pokemon could actually learn fly!

Now i decided to list some pokemon that can't fly that shouldn't and that should:
    Should:
    Gyarados, Jumpluff, Yanmega and Emolga.

Shouldn't:
    Pidgey, Spearow, Zubat, Farfetch'd, Dodou, Dodrio, HootHoot, Tailow, Wingull, Tropious, Starly, Chatot, Arceus, Mew, Pidove, Woobat, Ducklett, Golurk, Rufflet, Vullabey, Hydregion, Volcarona and Genesect.

Know any other pokemon that should or shouldn't fly post down below.
    I agree about the pokémon who should be able to fly (I didn't know Emolga wasn't).

About the pokémon who should be unable, I only agree with small Flying pokémon like Pidgey and Wingull (specially Vullaby with its ridiculously small wings), and Doduo/Dodrio.
    Somewhere I heard the argument Dodrio can use Fly is because it's able to make an incredibly long jump

- Back in Gen III (and before) Zubat and Golbat unable to Fly, being only Crobat capable of it. That should have remained so (not sure about Golbat).
    - Mew is supposed to have mystical powers, also it's the ancestor of most Pokémon. And Arceus is almightly God!
    - Why Tropius and Hydreigon not?
    - Genesect is a cyborg, maybe it can fly through some propulsion system. Not unlike Golurk.
    - I think Volcarona is not part Flying because both Bug and Fire types were priority, but it's clearly meant to be able to fly. Why it hasn't Levitate, not sure about it, but given its concept and description, Flame Body made more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky505 View Post
    No gyarados shouldn't learn it. It doesn't fly. The only reason it is seen flying or floating in the 3d games is because it is supposed to be swimming.
    It's part Flying, and floats in midair too...

It's impossible, said pride. It's risky, said experience. OU suspect, yelled Smogon.

Join Team Aqua, we have hot girls
    I bet you didn't notice the guy behind

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is how dodrio flies:I believe I can fly! - Imgur old joke is old

I was pretty annoyed to know that yanmega couldn't learn fly. GF keeps making mistakes like these. IIRC, Dragonite and Charizard didn't learn fly in gen 1 and they keep making some goof-ups every gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

The reason the really small birds like Pidgey can fly is so that the player doesn't have too hard of a time finding a fly slave. It's game logic, not logic logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    I think most Bug/Flying typed Pokémon are unable to use Fly because most insects in real life are not capable of flying at high heights.
    I hadn't thought about it that way at all! You're most likely correct. That's a really intelligent observation. :)
    Last edited by Frenzy Plant; 22nd July 2012 at 07:52 PM.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

I agree that pokemon like Scyther should be able to learn Fly. I mean, it has the right size wings for it and everything.
    ~RA~

Banner made by Rayquaza 64 ^^^

The Future King Koopa Jr's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Koopa Jr on Tumblr

I really don't get why Yanmega can't learn fly. According to it HG dex entry;
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanmega's HeartGold Pokedex Entry
    This six-legged Pokémon is easily capable of transporting an adult in flight. The wings on its tail help it stay balanced.
    it should be more than capable to transport a 10 year old child.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast