Breathing New Life into Group Play

Thread: Breathing New Life into Group Play

Default Breathing New Life into Group Play

Hey there bulbagarden. Some friends and I are getting together to do a joint play-through of HG & SS. Since it is a game we've all played over and over again in it's various incarnations, we wanted to do something a little bit different.

Last year I got a group of friends together and we all did Nuzlocke runs on many different games, spanning many generations, and we each kept a journal we shared. It was a lot of fun to read everyone else's journals, however there wasn't a ton of interaction beyond that. This is something I would like to change with my upcoming group.

We really liked the egg spin mechanic of gen 4. And due to the length and breadth of HG SS, we decided to work there. Since I have hacking capabilities, I thought it might be fun to hack a bunch of eggs, then mix them up in a semi/random fashion. Giving each player starting the game with an Eevee and 5 eggs that they will use throughout the game. We would meet weekly at the same ingame checkpoint. (say after every two badges or so) And from there we could trade and battle with our group.

So here is the plan as of now:

Everyone will have an Eevee. Everybody likes Eevee, and it gives you the chance to evolve it into a type that you might otherwise not have in your team for a little bit of added balance.

The rest of this criteria has nothing to do with Eevee, and will be referenced as if you were building a team of 5.

“Starter”:We are going to deviate a little from the traditional Grass/Fire/Water triangle. Instead we will use the triangle of Flying/Rock/Fighting. You must pick a pokemon that evolves at least once, and that of one of those three types, and make sure it’s secondary type doesn’t throw off the balance. for example: choosing Drifloon the Flying/Ghost type as your starter may seem cool. but it would make it impossible to even be hit by the fighting type starters rather than hitting for half damage like it should.

(Note: One of my players mentioned that this new elemental triangle is flawed, as fighting does normal damgage against normal/flying types, thus making it difficult to find an apropriate flying psudo-starter)

The rest if the team would be yours for choosing, provided the team (of 5) as the whole met this much more simple criteria

:
    There is only 1 instance of typing overlap allowed. For example: if you chose a flying starter. and then you wanted a charmander which eventually evolves into the fire/flying charizard, that would be OK, so long as you don’t have any other flying types, or any other typing overlaps in your team. For the purpose of typing overlaps, normal/flying types are considered just flying.

A pokemon that evolves via stone
    A pokemon that evolves only once,

a pokemon that evolves by trade

a baby pokemon

a pokemon that does not evolve.

Trading between participants is allowed providing you adhere to the following.

You may under no circumstance trade your Eeveeloution
    You must have 1 Psudo-Starter at all times.
    you may have nor more than 2 of the original 5 you chose to be eggs at any given point.
    So there are the rules. I feel they are slightly flawed somehow. I'd like each player to be able to choose at least one pokemon on their team without any restricitons, so I'm thinking of taking away/merging one of them, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is. I really like the idea of doing trade evoloutions As it will encouage more interaction between the group, so I'd like to keep that, And it would be fun to keep baby pokemon as it is an egg challenge but I'm not sure. :/

As mentioned earlier my alternative starter triangle is somewhat flawed, Does anybody have one that works that doen't include fire/water/grass?
    I'm starting to think we may have to revert back to that triangle.

So yeah. This is my idea to give this new play-through a little bit more to it. Any suggestions on additions or other things that could be done?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Breathing New Life into Group Play

There's always Dark/Psychic/Fighting...
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

I considered that triangle but psychic is resisted by dark. I was looking for something that is not very effective.

Blog Entries

Dark/Psychic/Fighting
    Nope. Dark is immune to one element, making it somewhat unbalanced.

You must remember that there is no "perfect" element-trio outside Fire-Water-Grass.

Thanks Kree. That's good to know. Perhaps We'll revert back to that triangle.
    What do you think of the other rules? Are the too restricting? Or do you think they will do good in presenting a variety of Pokemon?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kree View Post
    You must remember that there is no "perfect" element-trio outside Fire-Water-Grass.
    Well, fire/steel/rock, poison/ground/grass and flying/fighting/rock are closer to perfect than dark/psychic/fighting, anyway.