BN's Challenge thread

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BN's Challenge thread

Impossible is only a word BlueNostalgia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default BN's Challenge thread

So a few months back, there was a pretty good thread going called something like 'The Scramble Challenge thread" or something, in which myself and a few others helped organise what's called a "Scramble run through" of the games for different members. It was really cool and loads of people got involved, but eventually it just kinda fizzled away and people stopped using it.

What I'd like to do here is get it started again only on a larger scale. The idea would be that if you were ever bored and you wanted to play through one of the Pokemon games, but with a twist, you could come here and be set challenges by other members. This could be anything from a Nuzlocke, a Mono-run, or a Scramble Challenge. In fact, if anyone knows of any other challenges that can be done, and I'll add them to the list below!

As I understand, @Baron Dante, who was heavily involved in the original thread, has already agreed to help out. If you're involved in the thread for a good wee while and would like to help, contact either him or myself.

Another aspect of the old thread was that once you had recieved all six of your seperate challenges for the scramble, you would blog your playthrough on your own page so that, if anyone was interested, they could keep up with it and even see how the challenges they had set for you work out.

Anyone who wants to start a Scramble Challenge, just post requesting for people to give them individual challenges for it here. If you want to do something like a Nuzlocke, there's not much point in you posting because you can go ahead and do that yourself anyway, but if you'd like to put a bit of a twist into it, you can ask for suggestions here too.

For those of you who don't understand what a Scramble Challenge is, you essentially play through one of the games using six Pokemon assigned to you by other people. For example, if you were doing a challenge in Ruby Version, I could set you the challenge "Catch a Poochyena and use it in your party for the whole game, but it may only evolve into Mightyena if you use it to solo Dewford Gym." So you HAVE to use Poochyena, but you DON'T HAVE to use it to solo Dewford Gym, but if you don't, it's not allowed to evolve. I personally think this is one of the most fun challenges you can do, as well as the easiest way to interact with each other whilst doing them.

I'll keep record of who has already been assigned what Scrambles here in the first post so that people don't end up getting asked to use the same Pokemon twice and whatever. Also, you may only assign one challenge per member, so all six members of your party from a Scramble challenge have to be from six different members. Don't make them too hard unless they ask you to!

EDIT:
    Please note, it's common courtesy to set challenges in return for those who set you challenges. Also, from this point on, Players may not request challenges without also setting challenges for at least two other people in the same post.
    2nd EDIT:
    Please do not set challenges for people that require them to release the Pokemon unless they specify that they're okay with it.
    3rd EDIT:
    When someone sets you a challenge, don't forget to post saying that you accept the challenge so that I can confirm it on the main list below!

List of Scramble Challenges:
    This list is here so as to prevent players from recieving two challenges to use the same Pokemon or two Pokemon of the same Type or something like that. Please refer to this before setting someone a challenge.

@Davethunder (LeafGreen);
    • Get a Grimer. It can only evolve into Muk if it knows the move Acid Armor (Learns it naturally at level 34), and if it evolves, it must keep the move. (Set by @Baron Dante)
    • Catch a Vulpix. It learns Confuse Ray at level 21, and must keep that move for the rest of the game. Also, it's only allowed to evolve into Ninetales if it solos at least three of the Gym Trainers in Fuschia City. (Set by @BlueNostalgia)
    • Catch a Pidgey first. It must learn Sand-attack. Sand attack must be kept for it to evolve into Pidgeotto. Then, Pidgeotto must be level 40 to evolve instead of 36. (Set by @KantoMasta)
    • Catch a Voltorb before entering Rock Tunnel, and teach it Flash to help you make it through. You may only evolve it if you agree to keep Flash in its moveset permanently. Must have a Bold / Brave / Hasty / Jolly / Naughty / Quirky nature. (Set by @erling)
    • Start off with Charmander. It may not evolve into Charmeleon unless it defeats Brock's Onix and Misty's Starmie by itself. It can not evolve into Charizard if it is used in Koga or Erika's gyms at all. (Set by @mwto)
    • Catch a Cubone in Lavender Tower. It must be female and must learn both Rock Smash and Tail Whip ASAP. It must also solo Erika in order to evolve. (Set by @Furret162)

@KantoMasta (Platinum);
    • Get a Pikachu. (Pichu is also fine) As soon as you can get the TM for Iron Tail (From Iron Island), Pikachu must learn it, and keep it in its moveset. It also cannot evolve unless it defeats Volkner's Raichu 1-on-1. (Set by @Baron Dante)
    • Catch a Shellos. You can catch it at any point of the game you like. If you catch a pink one, it must learn Hidden Power at level 16 and keep it for the rest of the game. If you catch a Blue one, it's not allowed to learn any Ground moves. If it knows Ground moves when you catch it, you must get rid of them as soon as possible, and are not allowed to use them until you do. (Set by @BlueNostalgia)
    • Capture a Buizel. It may used any Type of move untill it learns Aqua Jet at lvl 21, when it will only be able to use Water Type moves (they can be TM/HM, as long as they are Water Type) (Set by @Davethunder)
    • Hatch Togepi from the egg you recieve from Cynthia. You may not leave Eterna City until it hatches, it must stay in your party at all times, and it may only evolve after learning Ancientpower. (Set by @Dark Victini)
    • Get Eevee from Bebe. If it faints twice, it may never evolve, but furthermore, it must defeat Cyrus once and for all by itself, as and solo Giratina. (Set by @Shiny Shinx)
    • Catch a Goldeen. It may not leave your party and may only evolve upon defeating Gym Leader Volkner's Jolteon. (Set by @mwto)

@FairyRed (Emerald);
    • Get Torchic as your starter. It must keep Growl until you reach Flannery, at which point you're only allowed to get rid of Growl if you solo her with Torchic (or Combusken, as the case may be). Also, Combusken is only allowed to evolve into Blaziken if it learns Sand Attack at level 21 and you promise to keep Sand Attack for the rest of the game. (Set by @BlueNostalgia)
    • Catch a Wurmple and keep Poison Sting until it reaches Level 38, when it can be replaced by Toxic if it evolves to Duxtox or Giga Drain if it evolves to Beautifly. (Set by @Davethunder)
    • Get an Anorith. All offensive moves it learns (This doesn't forbid defensive moves though) must utilize claws in a way or another. (Looking at Anorith moveset for Gen III, things like Scratch, Metal Claw, Fury Cutter, Aerial Ace, to name a few).(Set by @Baron Dante)
    • Catch the Kelecon in Fortree City. It must learn Substitute (Level 40) and Protect (TM17), and uses Substitute at the start of every 'major' battle. It must have a Timid / Bashful nature. (Set by @erling)
    • Catch a Nincada. It must solo at least one trainer in Lavaridge Town's Gym or Fortree City's Gm to be allowed to evolve, but when it does, you must have a space free in your party to get Shedinja and then release Ninjask. Shedinja must stay in your party. (Set by @mwto)
    • Catch a Trapinch. It may only evolve into Vibrava if it defeats three Trapinch, six Poochyena, and one Mightyena in a row without fainting. It then may only evolve into Flygon if it defeats Elite Four member Drake's Shelgon and Salamance 1 VS 2. (Set by @Shiny Shinx)
    • BONUS: Don't use any Super Effective moves against Gym Leader Norman. (Set by @KantoMasta)

@erling (Ruby);
    • Catch a Whismur on Route 116. It must keep Uproar in its moveset. (Set by @Davethunder)
    • Catch a Ralts. It must have three Status moves in its moveset at all times ASAP. It must also solo both the Rustboro and Dewford Gyms in order to evolve into Kirlia, and it solo Gym Leader Flannery in order to evolve into Gardevoir. (Set by @Furret162)
    • Use Treecko as your starter. It's only allowed to evolve into Sceptile if it solos Gym Leader Norman, and it must learn and keep the move Screech ASAP. (Requires Confirmation) (Set by @BlueNostalgia)
    • Catch a Surskit. It may only use moves that are 'Cute' in Pokemon Contests, until it reaches level 37, after which it may only evolve if it uses moves that appear as 'Beauty' moves. (Requires Confirmation) (Set by @mwto)
    • Catch a Carvanha. It may not learn TMs (it is permitted, however, to learn HMs). (Requires Confirmation) (Set by @Baron Dante
    • BONUS: Finish every major battle with the move Cut. (Set by @FairyRed)
    • Catch a Wurmple. If it evolves into Silcoon, there's no challenge. If it evolves into Cascoon, however, it must stay as a Cascoon. (Requires Confirmation)(Set by @KantoMasta)

@mwto (SoulSilver);
    • Catch a Mareep. It must learn Charge ASAP which may only be replaced with Fire Punch once the oppertunity arises. It must defeat one of Jasmine's Magnemite in order to be allowed to evolve into Ampharos. (Set by @Davethunder)
    • Catch a Hoothoot. It must learn and keep Reflect as soon as it can, and may only evolve if it solos Whitney's Miltank. (Set by @BlueNostalgia)
    • Catch a Vulpix. It must solo Gym Leader Morty to evolve. (Set by @Shiny Shinx)
    • Catch a Pichu / Pikachu. It may not evolve into Raichu, and must defeat Red's Pikachu 1 VS 1. (Set by @KantoMasta)
    • You may catch a Pidgey. If you do, it can only evolve if it defeats Gym Leader Falkner in his Gym in two minutes and thirty seconds, or at the Saffron Dojo in five minutes. It may evolve a second time if it defeats Gym Leader Blue in his Gym in seven minutes or in the Saffron Dojo in ten minutes. (Set by @Shiny Shinx)
    • Catch a Ditto. It may only hold the items Quick Powder or Metal Powder. (Set by @Baron Dante)
    • Use Cyndaquil as your starter. As soon as possible, you must start giving it daily haircuts and massages to keep its happiness maxed out. (Set by @FairyRed)
    • BONUS: If you can succesfully capture Unown spelling the word LOST SILVER in that order in under two minutes, you may also catch a Natu which has no further restrictions. (Set by @Shiny Shinx)

@BlueNostalgia (SoulSilver);
    • Use Totodile as your starter. It must defeat Red's Blastoise 1 VS 1. (Set by @KantoMasta)
    • Catch a Dunsparce with the ability Serene Grace. It may only use moves that are affected by its ability; this must include Rock Smash. (Set by @Furret162)
    • Catch a Magmar. It may only use Physical moves, with the exception of Flamethrower. (Set by @Baron Dante)
    • Get Kenya the Spearow from the guard north of Goldenrod city. Deliver its mail with a different Pokemon and teach Kenya the reward of TM44, which contains Rest. Kenya must keep the move Rest forever. (Set by @mwto)
    • Catch a Smeargle. It must use Sketch to learn and keep at least two Status moves. (Set by @Davethunder)

@Shiny Shinx (FireRed / LeafGreen)
    • Get an Eevee. This Eevee must replace your starter Pokemon. (Set by @Shiny Shinx). This Eevee may not evolve unless it solos the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City and Gym Leader Erika. (Set by @mwto)
    • Catch a Rattata. It may not evolve until it learns Pursuit. (Set by @Dark Victini)
    • Catch a Pidgey. It may only evolve into Pidgeotto if it solos Gym Leader Misty. (Set by @KantoMasta)
    • Catch a Ponyta. It must have three have three Fire type moves in its moveset in order to evolve. (Set by @Davethunder)
    • Catch a Psyduck. It may only evolve if it solos at least four trainers from the Gym in Saffron City, and it must learn and keep Screech as soon as possible. (Set by @BlueNostalgia)

@Dark Victini (Diamond)
    • Catch a Shinx. It must replace your starter and may not evolve unless it solos Dialga / Palkia. (Set by @Shiny Shinx)
    • Catch a Budew in Eterna Forest. It must solo Gardenia in order to evolve into Roselia, and must solo Candice in order to evolve into Roserade. (Set by @mwto)
    • Catch a Bidoof. It must be nicknamed 'HERPDERP' and may only evolve after defeating Gym Leader Crasher Wake. (Set by @KantoMasta)
    • Catch a Finneon. It may only evolve if it solos at least two trainers from the Gym at Snowpoint City. (Set by @Davethunder)
    • Catch a Gastly. Regardless of whether or not you can trade, it may must only evolve into Haunter and cannot evolve the whole way to a Gengar. It must also learn and keep Curse as soon as possible. (Set by @BlueNostalgia)
    Last edited by BlueNostalgia; 15th June 2012 at 07:12 AM.
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

- Danerius Jr, my best friend and greatest Pokemon Rival

Blog Entries

Default Re: Challenge Setting thread.

... Would I have to start over my game, or can I do one if I am already playing?

Blog Entries

I take the challenge... since I dont want to delete my save file in white... I'll do it in LeafGreen so hit me up with your challenges.

Team:
    Charmander- must beat Brock's onix and Misty's starmie to evolve and should not be use in battle in koga's and Erika's gyms
    Pidgey- must keep sand attack to evolve and must be lvl 40 to evolve again
    Voltorb-[bold,brave,hastly,jolly,naughty,quirky] must know flash to evolve
    Vulpix-must know confuse ray, beat 3 trainers in fuschia gym to evolve
    Grimmer- must know Acid Armor to evolve
    Cubone-Must be female and know rock smash and tail whip, solo misty to evolve
    Last edited by Davethunder; 5th June 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Update team

Blog Entries

O'hai, I'm here too now.

@Jdog2010; It depends what are you looking for. You can always take the challenge for the League only, or Battle Frontier (Which most likely will end up you getting destroyed there though. :P), but it's always a deeper experience if you play the entire game. So... it's entirely up to you.
    @Davethunder; Will do later. Though, you might wnt to point out if there are things you don't want. (Because who wants a Magikarp that's not allowed to evolve. :P)

So:
    One thing I really like about Scramble Challenges, is that it's most likely going to become really hard in the end unless you actually grind. I took the Scramble Challenge for Diamond, and though my playing was really slow and sporadic, and in the end, it took me nearly a year to finish because Diamond is damn slow paced, and I also made it kind of an story in my blogs.

Nevertheless. The team by the end was Infernape, Dustox, Lopunny, Clefable, Luxray and Pachirisu. Because I never liked grinding, I was eventually facing Cynthia with this team in the early 40's, parring the level 50 Infernape. I have no idea whatsoever how we managed with all the ridiculous limits on the team, but after a literal few hundred attemps the stupid Milotic died.

What did I get from this? Aside from a great hate towards Milotic in general, I came to like and respect new Pokemon. Infernape is the only one in the team that I know nearly everyone uses. Luxray is a very early Pokemon in the games, so it gets used a lot as well, but the rest? Not so much. Pachirisu is the most terrible Pokemon ever, and I still love that thing now. I really think differently of them now.

So, Scramble Challenge is a great way to come to try new Pokemon, and learn new ways of playing. This is what Nuzlocke does too, but I somewhat dislike the entire thing of not being able to let Pokemon fall, and getting more free reign over the Pokemon to use.

In fact, I wouldn't mind doing another Scramble Challenge now, but my time is way too tight for it right now. I know I will do B2W2 as one though.

Blog Entries

ok, im getting bored of Nuzlockes(wipes ;__;), and decided to attempt Scramble. I can do HG or Plat only though. I can't do hacks or anything, so no Sheildon as a starter. So, hit me up with your rules! Im almost scared to see what you come up with. :P
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Blog Entries

@ Baron Dante Thx for the advise I new to this type of challenges so a magikarp that didn't evolve didnt cross my mind.
    So I guess that no magikarp that doesn't evolve and others similar like caterpie/ weedle that doesnt evolve and since I dont have any other gen 3 games I guess that only pokemon that can be found in the wild in the game.
    Last edited by Davethunder; 30th May 2012 at 11:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool. Okay, might as well get the ball rolling for the two of you. (Keep in mind, that you can also offer challenges for others)

One thing with the challenges is that even though at first they seem relatively limited to things like "beat this using the Pokemon to allow it evolve", or "it has to keep this move in it's moveset as soon as it can learn it".... being creative is what makes this fun. Don't think you have to keep to things that are being done already... try to think new and fun things. :3

So, with that, lets go.
    @Davethunder;
    Get a Grimer. It can only evolve into Muk if it knows the move Acid Armor (Learns it naturally at level 34), and if it evolves, it must keep the move.

This shouldn't be too bad. Grimer evolves at 37, so the evolution happens normally, and it leaves you with 3 moves to use, as well as this one, which is actually a good move on it's own.
    @KantoMasta; This one depends on which game will you take.

If you are playing Platinum: Get a Pikachu. (Pichu is also fine) As soon as you can get the TM for Iron Tail (From Iron Island), Pikachu must learn it, and keep it in its moveset. It also cannot evolve unless it defeats Volkner's Raichu 1-on-1.

If you are playing HeartGold: Get a Spinarak. It must learn Spider Web at level 29 (32 if it's an Ariados). You may not use items that aren't "natural" on this Pokemon. (This includes Potions, Revives and the like. Basically, you are only using Berries on this one)

Blog Entries

Oh wow, it's great to see people getting involved with the thread already. :)

Now that we've attracted a few people, I'm gonna put a new rule in the main post that says that you can't request for people to set you challenges without setting challenges for at least two other people who already need them. Also, if someone sets you a challenge and still needs some of their own, it's only fair that you set them a challenge too in return.

Also, like @Baron Dante says, it's a good idea to specify things that you DON'T want to use in game. It's perfectly okay for you to make up your own rules for your own personal challenge, for example, in the old thread, some people decided that they wanted to use a specific starter instead of someone deciding for them, but then another member set them a challenge involving said starter. I'll add this to the main post too.

One final thing; you guys need to confirm that you've accepted your challenges. If you think something's too hard, it's okay to not accept it, but don't reject challenges just because you don't like the Pokemon and stuff; that defeats the purpose of the challenge! Until you confirm the challenge, I'll have a little '(Requires Confirmation)' next to it in the main post. Once you have six confirmed challenges, I'll let you know with a VM or something and you can get started! Remember, you can blog your challenge if you want (although you don't have to), and if you do, feel free to post here telling everyone that you're doing it.

@Davethunder;
    Catch a Vulpix. It learns Confuse Ray at level 21, and must keep that move for the rest of the game. Also, it's only allowed to evolve into Ninetales if it solos at least three of the Gym Trainers in Fuschia City.

@KantoMasta;
    I'll give you a challenge once you've confirmed which game you're using.
    "I can't see the end of the road anymore! But I suppose, that's part of the adventure..."

I've been itching to replay my Emerald for some time now... Someone go ahead and scramble me an entire team for Emerald! 8D (not sure if I asked that correctly derp) I will be using Torchic, since I always use the Fire starter, no exceptions. But the other 5 can be decided via Scramble!
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Blog Entries

ok @Baron Dante;

I really like the challenge of Pikachu on Platinum. The only thing is I think the earliest I can catch one is in the pokemon mansion, so it wll be later game but oh well. Any more rules?

oh, and @DaveTheHunter; I have 2 relaed to anime feel free to pic either :P

1. Catch a Caterpie first, and nothing else before it. Then, you have to release it after the st. anne :P

2. You cannot move past the safari zone until you have caught a box of Tauros.

and Ninja'd huh?

ok @BlueNostalagia; I am for sure using Platinum, I was just looking for two rules to help me decide.

annnnd @FairyRed; I dont have one for your team(yet :P) but heres one for a gym:

1. In Norman's gym, you may NOT use any SE moves on his pokemon. (Im thinking about Slaking here xD)
    My 3ds FC: 0018 2172 7225 Safari: Rock Feel free to add me! I can only get on wifi maybe once a week at most though!
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Quote Originally Posted by KantoMasta
    annnnd @FairyRed; I dont have one for your team(yet :P) but heres one for a gym:

1. In Norman's gym, you may NOT use any SE moves on his pokemon. (Im thinking about Slaking here xD)
    Hah, no spamming Double Kick from my Combusken/Blaziken, huh? xD Sounds like a challenge for sure!
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KantoMasta View Post
    ok @Baron Dante;ok @BlueNostalagia; I am for sure using Platinum, I was just looking for two rules to help me decide.
    Well in that case, catch a Shellos. You can catch it at any point of the game you like. If you catch a pink one, it must learn Hidden Power at level 16 and keep it for the rest of the game. If you catch a Blue one, it's not allowed to learn any Ground moves. If it knows Ground moves when you catch it, you must get rid of them as soon as possible, and are not allowed to use them until you do.

@FairyRed
    Your Torchic must keep Growl until you reach Flannery, at which point you're only allowed to get rid of Growl if you solo her with Torchic (or Combusken, as the case may be). Also, Combusken is only allowed to evolve into Blaziken if it learns Sand Attack at level 21 and you promise to keep Sand Attack for the rest of the game.

ok @Baron Danteannnnd @FairyRed; I dont have one for your team(yet :P) but heres one for a gym:

Also, @KantoMasta, this IS a good challenge and it can be used, but remember that he also needs to be set challenges for six Pokemon to actually play through the game. I'll add this to FairyRed's challenge list as a bonus challenge.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNostalgia View Post
    Well in that case, catch a Shellos. You can catch it at any point of the game you like. If you catch a pink one, it must learn Hidden Power at level 16 and keep it for the rest of the game. If you catch a Blue one, it's not allowed to learn any Ground moves. If it knows Ground moves when you catch it, you must get rid of them as soon as possible, and are not allowed to use them until you do.
    Ive never used Shellos before, sounds like a good rule. I accept this and the rule with Pichu/Pikachu. (I have to accept them to have em in first post right?)

also, how may rules is it good to get before starting the challenge?
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Blog Entries

Ive never used Shellos before, sounds like a good rule. I accept this and the rule with Pichu/Pikachu. (I have to accept them to have em in first post right?)

also, how may rules is it good to get before starting the challenge?
    Yeah that's fine, I've added them both. You need at least six, one for each Pokemon in your party, but you can also have bonus challenges, like the one you set for FairyRed, if you want.

Also, could you perhaps set a different challenge for DaveThunder? Catching all those Tauros is nothing but a waste of time, and there's no point catching a Pokemon he's just going to release if he doesn't even have to use it. I'm going to add to the first post that you're not allowed to set challenges were you release a Pokemon. Sorry, I should have said that before.

Blog Entries

okk....

@Davethunder;

Catch a Pidgey first, and it must know Sand-attack. Sand attack must be kept for it to evolve into Pidgeotto. Then, Pidgeotto must be level 40 to evolve instead of 36.
    my stats[/SIZE]|ranger

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast