Beware of the Battle Analyser - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Beware of the Battle Analyser

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beware of the Battle Analyser

@Stratelier;
    You don't seem to understand the importance of knowing what your opponent is going to do. Yeah, there's nothing much I can do about a Fire Blast, except getting a free switch in for another Pokemon. The key to getting in counters is predicting what your opponent is about to do, so this basically sets up for perfect counters. It also defeats the purpose of using Sucker Punch, and if you know your opponent used Protect? Free set up.

@PKMN Trainer Faye;
    If you don't see how your opponent knowing exactly what you're doing ruins the spirit of battling then I really don't know what to say. Judging by the amount of people who posted their information for Instacheck, I highly doubt this would be an isolated program, especially the higher you go in the ranked battles since it would funnel out people who don't really know what they're doing.

And sure, be annoyed about the high and mighty attitude people have when they're bitching about people taking advantage of an exploit to get shinies (really, the only form of "hacking" anyone has this generation). That doesn't affect anyone else. This program does. This is actually cheating because it gives you information that you aren't supposed to have in battle. If you can't see the distinction, then there's a problem.
    Ange, -Glory Blaze-, Kaori and 9 others like this.

Zeb
    vital spirit. Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by PKMN Trainer Faye View Post
    Are we really freaking out over this? Augh, I wish people would cut out the high-and-mighty attitude against hackers. ._.
    Are you actually being serious... How in the world is it "high-and-mighty" to expect and want people to battle fairly and not cheat? You know, the whole point of the game? Why should people going into battle for fun, expecting a fair game and be cheated against? I have no idea how anyone can seriously defend this.

Fairy Queen Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

I don't think there's anything "high and mighty" about disagreeing with this particular hack; if you know exactly what your opponent is going to do or have such information about their team, it defeats the point of having to wait your turn and anticipate or prepare for uncertain possibilities - which is a key element of turn-based combat in games like Pokémon. People play a game with a certain mechanic and they tailor their approach and expectations to that. There is nothing wrong with that and maintaining that type of consistency in online competition is one of the main ways of keeping things fair. While some people may want to utilise this, if I knew someone was planning to I wouldn't even bother battling them because if I turn on my console and decide to play with others, in my case it is to do so knowing that neither of us has an unfair or artificial advantage. People should be able to assume that they are on a level playing field in terms of given information when competing and, if people insist on using such things, I believe they should be noted as such so people can choose not to interact with them if they so wish. For me, even if they can't stop this happening, it's as simple as "if you're going to use external means to get an unfair advantage, I want to know about it so I'm not subject to that cheating".

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits
    ~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc. ~ Fanclub ~ Come join the conversation in the Entertainment, Inc. General Chat Thread!~

Follow bluestarfish on Tumblr

I hope that if there is a way to patch the game against this, that it can be done, and quickly. This will compromise the online ladder, and I while I don't entirely know how the VGA runs things, I do know that online performance somehow translates over to perks and things in physical tournaments for those who make it to the top of at least one of the ladders (or has no ladder that matters been released yet?)

I feel that people who use this program are reprehensible, but I don't think mindlessly going all "omg hackers" is the right action to take either, especially if in the process a lot of misinformation gets spread. (ex bad eggs/wondertrade).
    BigBadBatter likes this.

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are we really freaking out over this? Augh, I wish people would cut out the high-and-mighty attitude against hackers. ._. How is the game "ruined", just because your opponent can now see what you're doing? There are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people playing Pokemon, a majority of which are too young to know how to use a program like this. Just how likely are you to actually run into someone who is using this program? Mother of god, I'm seriously angry at how everyone is like "welp no more online battles for me", nothing could sound sillier.
    Because when everyone hacks/has an unfair advantage over you on Wi-Fi, people will start quitting. Look at IW CoDs, CoD4 had literally no hack protection, and with mods ported over from the PC, the Xbox version became known for having hackers running wild. Eventually the hackers found a way to keep you from playing online without having Activision reset you to level 1.

Also, Generation IV/V hacking was so rampant, there are literally iPod/Android apps that combine Pokémon editors and fake GTS servers into one, making hacking even easier.
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Man, this is why I'm kinda glad that I battle through PS and not through wi-fi. :\

Blog Entries

GF better stop this crap or this is going to truly kill online battling.

Are we really freaking out over this? Augh, I wish people would cut out the high-and-mighty attitude against hackers. ._. How is the game "ruined", just because your opponent can now see what you're doing? There are MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people playing Pokemon, a majority of which are too young to know how to use a program like this. Just how likely are you to actually run into someone who is using this program? Mother of god, I'm seriously angry at how everyone is like "welp no more online battles for me", nothing could sound sillier.
    I have no problem with hackers using Pokegen and Pokesav to get perfect teams but hell no i'm not gonna sit here quietly while this type of crap is running around. And are you seriously defending this? This destroys the entire point of online battling wich is prediction and strategy.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saeyru View Post
    Man, this is why I'm kinda glad that I battle through PS and not through wi-fi. :\
    So this won't happen on PSS? Good~ That's where I battle, anyway~

But I also do Random Battles sometimes. I suppose that's what I should avoid, then~

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post

But I also do Random Battles sometimes. I suppose that's what I should avoid, then~
    By PS I meant Showdown, I couldn't tell if you also meant that or not. xD

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post

PS= Pokemon Showdown, the battle simulator. The PSS is what you use for online battles in Pokemon X and Y

The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My bad, you guys. I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by Team Gaara; 28th November 2013 at 10:04 PM.

I bet people who use this lost a bit too many times in wifi battles before. Pity that the only way for them to win is to cheat.
    Diamond - 1505 5456 4798 (BLAKE)

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

To me, this completely takes the fun out of battling at all. Where's the fun in the surprise if you know what your opponent is going to do? Just to get a few digits higher on your 'Battles Won' display? Even if I was given a choice, I wouldn't want to know what my opponent's move was going to be...it just...takes all the fun out of it. It's disappointing that the people behind this are obviously very intelligent to be able to make something like this, but could be using it in a much more productive way.

I seriously hope there is a patch released to fix this soon.
    BigBadBatter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    @Stratelier;
    You don't seem to understand the importance of knowing what your opponent is going to do.
    No, I do, I just don't see any real confirmation about what this Battle Analyzer thing does.

Still...

How is the game "ruined", just because your opponent can now see what you're doing?
    1: Send out a Wobbuffet.
    2: Your opponent picks and confirms a move to use, and the Battle Analyzer tells you about in advance while you're still deciding what you want to do.
    3: ???
    4: PROFIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Araragi Hakase View Post
    It's disappointing that the people behind this are obviously very intelligent to be able to make something like this, but could be using it in a much more productive way.
    ...they're doing it FOR SCIENCE!

But seriously, folks, at least the Pokecheck guys appear to be taking a more white-hat view on the matter.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 28th November 2013 at 11:27 PM.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

Visit DragoniteSpam's Youtube Channel

I can deal with people who use Pokésav to get perfect IVs, I've beaten plenty of them with my run-of-the-mill, undertiered teams who haven't been bred carefully or anything like that. Having a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Uber doesn't help you if you don't know what to do with it. But in this case, if your opponent told you they're going to go for Earthquake, it doesn't take much brainpower to switch into something with Levitate or Flying type.

X and Y have only been out for about 5 weeks now. It has plenty of time to be distributed and modified so that anyone who wants to can use it. Check back in a few years to see if this thing has really ruined competitive battling.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast