• HGSS

101 80.80%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is the better remake?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which is the better remake?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
    Seriously FR/LG was there just for nostalgia
    Yeah, like it wasn't partially true for HGSS also...

|.......................| 0_o o_0's Avatar
    Blog Entries

from what I've seen I think that HG/SS is gonna be better
    there seems to be alot of stuff to do in it

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RudolphMilotic View Post
    Yeah, like it wasn't partially true for HGSS also...
    Read after that okay? HGSS had it but FRLG was just a giant ball of Nostalgia painted with a new coat of shiny with some new islands while hgss was nostalgia filled but it had enough new to not be only pure nostalgia. Anyone on a technical note wouldn't platinum count as a remake as well as every other Pokemon game?
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
    Read after that okay? HGSS had it but FRLG was just a giant ball of Nostalgia painted with a new coat of shiny with some new islands while hgss was nostalgia filled but it had enough new to not be only pure nostalgia
    Irrelevant; it was partially nostalgia-filled after all. You said it.

And maybe enough new, but for me most of 'the new' were just purely gimmicky or pointless features. As Maxim said, HGSS are far from being labeled as bad games, but of course I think they are somewhat half-assed remakes.

To be honest, by definition FR/LG is probably a better "remake" but overall HG/SS is a better game.

I had to force myself to play through FR/LG, I found it dragging and boring by the time you reach Lavender. Too much of the same-old same-old and nothing new to immerse myself in.
    Sure it's really faithful in that it's almost an exact copy paste of R/B with a fresh coat of Home Depot fix it, but that's the thing I hate about "remakes" and people's definition of remake. Does it have to be a strictly graphically glorified copy paste of the original to be called a good remake?

The Sevii Islands were just there to force feed us Johto Pokemon and are there solely as half-assed post game content and to give us features that Kanto lacks. Day Care breeding after beating the Pokemon League? Lol
    I found myself disinterested in the middle of Island 5.

The things they added/took out in HG/SS, I couldn't give any less of a crap about.
    Legendary Birds? So what, they're just there for the sake of being caught. Stop making it as if it's a big plot hole, it's not. More than half the legendary pokemon are there for the sake of the series being less dependent on the GBA games.
    Last edited by Absur'd; 28th October 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Wow, this is weird. Before FR and LG came out, my favorite games wer Pokemon RBYG and AFTER it came out, I liked GSC more, now that HG and SS are out, im, for some reason, addicted to RSE and Hoenn. Weird huh!

The Weirdest Tower Tycoon Nevando's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Absur'd View Post
    Legendary Birds? So what, they're just there for the sake of being caught. Stop making it as if it's a big plot hole, it's not. More than half the legendary pokemon are there for the sake of the series being less dependent on the GBA games.
    Or because there are multiple Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres and they are Kanto-native, so why not be able to catch them?

I can't believe people have a problem with Cerulean Cave not being destroyed. It was only 'Destroyed' in the first place due to the half-assed nature of Kantos recreation back in GSC.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nevando View Post
    Or because there are multiple Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres and they are Kanto-native, so why not be able to catch them?

I can't believe people have a problem with Cerulean Cave not being destroyed. It was only 'Destroyed' in the first place due to the half-assed nature of Kantos recreation back in GSC.
    And size constraints but nostalgia and no ret-conning negate it apparently.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

The Weirdest Tower Tycoon Nevando's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not even sure why this would be considered retcon, considering it takes nothing away from the current continuity.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nevando View Post
    You know that in canon such explanations don't work?

Cerulean Cave collapsing WAS a part of continuity between RGBY and GSC. Bringing it back isn't much different from bringing back Cinnabar.

It didn't just vanish mysteriously in GSC. Its destruction was MENTIONED by numerous NPCs. Thus making it canon (unlike Seafoam which could just be inaccessible).

I still think that around 75% of HGSS additions were either lazy or gimmicky. Cerulean Cave is one of them, as it didn't really bring anything new to the games. Same cave ONCE AGAIN is a lame excuse for a classic Legendary.

Blog Entries

Glad HgSs came out, otherwise no sequal to frLg, and that is bad. There should be a *Both* option though.
    ~--++~~This signature is currently under construction. Please wait for anything fancy~~++--~

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Menschevick View Post
    It didn't just vanish mysteriously in GSC. Its destruction was MENTIONED by numerous NPCs. Thus making it canon (unlike Seafoam which could just be inaccessible).
    It was only mentioned by one guy IIRC, the guy standing in front of the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim Menschevick View Post
    Cerulean Cave collapsing WAS a part of continuity between RGBY and GSC. Bringing it back isn't much different from bringing back Cinnabar.
    R/B - G/S continuity =/= FR/LG - HG/SS continuity

I rawk(n00bish, right?) Draknir's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Based solely on the fact that I've played them both, I will say that HGSS is the better remake.

Even though I've yet to play HGSS, from what I have read it seems, to me, that those were better-handled remakes than FRLG. Don't get me wrong, I love FireRed and the Sevii Islands were a very good addition, but there is just not much to do after Kanto and Sevii are finished. Nowadays I mostly use FireRed to catch Pokemon that are not in Platinum so I can transfer them over to complete my PtPokedex. I will be honest in saying that I probably do have a little bit of bias for Johto, since it is my favorite region. However I don't have the ~*burning passion*~ for it that many people have, so it's only a small bias.
    One thing I loved about DPP is that there is so much to do after "finishing" the game, and it seems that this has been carried over to HGSS. I enjoyed the Contests in DPP so I'm hoping the Pokethlons will be just as fun for me.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Absur'd View Post
    It was only mentioned by one guy IIRC, the guy standing in front of the door.

R/B - G/S continuity =/= FR/LG - HG/SS continuity
    Not to mention GF had to come up with some reason to explain why the cave was gone in the first place. It would have been a little OOC for someone to say, "Yeah, in the last three years Kanto underwent a spacial anomaly and the cave kinda vanished."

It would have worked ten years later, but not then.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast