24 19.05%
  • HGSS

102 80.95%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which is the better remake?

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Which is the better remake?

FireRed and LeafGreen or HeartGold and SoulSilver. Based on if you played it or not.

Default Re: Which is the better remake?

i haven't played hg/ss yettt, BUT... from what i've seen, they look better than fr/lg.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

HGSS, since it has a more things to do in-game than what FRLG had to offer.

Blog Entries

Gotta agree, HGSS is better than FRLG in terms of remakes. FRLG brought me back into pokemon (Gen 3 turned me off and I didn't get RSE till after FRLG), but I like HGSS a lot more.
    this should be really obvious but, I really don't post here anymore. I pop in from time to time, but I really don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko Heiwa View Post
    Pokemon - The Only Series Who's Fandom Regards Differing Opinions As Trolling

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to say, as in "remake", I say FRLG, it stayed the most and closest to the original storyline, I do say HGSS is the better remake.

FR/LG was still good for what it was, but there was more effort put into HGSS.

I think it just looks dated now because of the GBA graphics and the lack of a Battle Frontier.

Blog Entries

I dunno. FRLG at least made a big effort in clearing up several plotholes and inconsistencies that existed in the timeline between RGB and GSC. Thanks to FRLG, there's more sense to why Team Rocket's scheme would've been disastrous, we know why Lorelei dropped the Elite Four and why Lance also dropped and got a weaker Team in GSC. There's so many references in the game, as well as a much-needed fleshing out of the characters, thanks to the Fame Checker.

Sadly, HGSS doesn't adds to that endeavor. It actually detracts from it, without any apparent mention of the Sevii Islands, Leaf, or Agatha. It only solves a single hanging thread from GSC and a fanbase-made "mystery" arisen from FRLG, both solved in the special Giovanni event. Other than that, the game is sadly the exact same it was... just looking prettier. At least there's further characterization, but as it is, I don't think that's enough to make up for a way more blatant prettified port of the original game.

The extra Johto Route with all its new stuff is nowhere near as meaningful an addition to the actual game as was the Sevii Islands in FRLG. Its only real contribution is adding ties to Hoenn, as the game also adds ties to Sinnoh with the Shinto Ruins. Seriously, it's that and Steven's appearance what's actually "new" in terms of story and mythos. Small twists and turns to the same story don't really cut it as new additions.

As it is, I think FRLG is a much better game in terms of substance. HGSS is almost completely pure style. That's fine and dandy, but ultimately hollow. HGSS does make a better main game than FRLG (And yet it still fails in the same area FRLG failed: inability of being able to evolve any Pokémon you want that doesn't strictly evolve by trading in the same game, which makes it inferior to Platinum), and it also innovates with a handful of new mechanics (FRLG lacked in that regard, though it opened the whole 3rd Generation to a complete pool of Pokémon, as well as introducing the 2nd Elite Four Round, so, even the terrible loss in terms of gameplay features when compared with RS is forgiven), but as a whole, it lacks true value, and barely fixes all the issues GSC had, if at all, whereas FRLG fixed both plot issues in GSC and the one flaw of RGBY (A single last quest after the Elite Four), as well as expanding the plot... which HGSS didn't even bother to acknowledge. But it's no surprise, when it couldn't even bother to give us different Frontier Brains...

So yeah. As far as I'm concerned, they're about equal. If I look for a good main game, HGSS is the way to go. However, if I want a game that goes the extra mile on improving the originals and opening up new gameplay options, FRLG wins by far. The difference lies in the fact that Emerald came after FRLG, and that Platinum came before HGSS...

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

FRLG was, for all intents and purposes, RGB with better graphics and the sevii islands. Not much actually changed.

HGSS, on the other hand, has gone out of its way to change quite a bit. a lot of those changes are subtle, but serebii's got em all and from what I can tell, HGSS is a remake and then some.

I haven't used this line in a while but it feels appropriate.

It's a whole new world we live in
    It's a whole new way to see
    It's a whole new place with a brand new attitude
    But you still gotta catch 'em all and be the best that you can be

Pokémon Johto!

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

PokemonMaster/PokemonG.I. RYUOFTHEBROOD's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sadly,Fire Red and Leaf Green lacks post completition fun...like a battle frontier...their battle tower sucked..it was too easy with Mewtwo and Rayquaza...But the real reason i like HgSs is the events in shinto/alpha ruins...Palkia,Dialga,and/or Giratina can be gotten their..at level 1...but lacks the challenge.even though you go from Johto to Kanto...Something I wanted them to build on...but its not all too bad...;]

PLATINUM FRIEND CODE:
    3008-7701-7436
    NAME:
    RYU

When I first played FRLG I was hooked, I'd sit there for hours just playing it and not noticing anything else. Now that I'm used to playing DPPt though it feels like it's quite outdated and I can't just sit there and play it for hours like I can with DPPt, I have to be watching tv or listening to music or something. I also find once you're done with the E4 and Sevii Islands that there's just nothing to do and I usually stop playing.

From what I've seen and the little I've played of HGSS, I'll say that it seems more engaging than FRLG. There just seems to be so much more to do in HGSS than FRLG like Pokethlons, the whole Kanto reigion after the elite four, pokewalker, wifi connection, battle frontier etc. FRLG got me back into playing pokemon games and I still like them better than RSE, but I think I'll have more fun playing HGSS.

I suppose personally I'm gonna like HGSS better, GSC were my favourite games and I've been looking forward to remakes ever since speculation videos started popping up all over the internet.

You can read my fic; A Deadly Breach here.

Platinum FC: 2321-2981-5085

Blog Entries

FireRed and LeafGreen. I'm a little biased only because I hate Johto and HGSS weren't exactly what I imagined story-wise (many retcons I don't like and places I disagree with like the Safari Zone), and it seems that Game Freak tried too hard to make them slightly different or better than Platinum by including features that, again -yeah, I know I'm persistent-, should HAVE BEEN since Platinum:

-Touch screen controls: the Pokétch perhaps represented a challenge but that's it.
    -The passing down of IVs by the use of the Power Items.
    -Pal Park time-related restrictions.
    -Sunflora learning Earth Power.

At least the PokéWalker, buyable TMs, new Egg Moves and Move Tutors make up for all the disappointments.
    Last edited by RudolphMilotic; 28th October 2009 at 07:51 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Remake-wise FR/LG was leagues better.

It showed the RGBY world very well.

While HGSS retconned too much things. Did that Cerulean Cave really HAVE to be restored? Did we really need those Legendary Birds? Where's Celebi?

FRLG didn't axe ANYTHING from RB. HGSS axed many things. Card Flip, Room Decoration, Celebi.

Of course, who needs those when we have ALL 493 OVERWORLD POKEMON?! [/sarcasm]

Axings, UNNECCESSARY retcons, stupid and unneeded additions is what HGSS was full of.
    In FRLG we had a fully adapted plot with an awesome addition, which was the Sevii Islands.

And I'm not saying that HGSS was a bad game. I'm just saying that FRLG was a better REMAKE.
    Last edited by Maxim Posthumus; 28th October 2009 at 07:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

FR/LG. Just look at the hg/ss pokémon sprites.

It's difficult to judge proplerly since I haven't played HG/SS yet.

Both have their qualities and detractions though, so it's hard to say at this point.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

HGSS by a mile. Seriously FR/LG was there just for nostalgia with a twinge of new but HGSS is for everything and more.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast