• Early Teen (13-14)

38 27.94%
  • Mid-Teen (15-16)

62 45.59%
  • Late Teen (17-19)

24 17.65%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The best age for Player Characters?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: The best age for Player Characters?

lol, still a lot of people favor mid-teens :) In the B2W2 promo vid, the Kyouhei and Hue seemed like they were around 13 - 14, though.

Blog Entries

Early to Mid Teen. I'm just not comfortable with the default age of ten anymore, and any more than that is a smidgen too old. Ten always seemed too young and unrealistic, no matter how utopian the Pokémon world might be. Besides, the audience seems to have grown. Does anyone here actually like playing a twerpy 10-year-old?

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Follow scarlettpeony on Tumblr

I think kids respond equally well to playing older heroes as they do to younger ones. A little kid of ten probably likes the idea of playing an older character. Ultimately, it makes no difference to the story as the protagonist is silent and interpretations of the game scenes are up to the player. I also feel that Pokemon up until recently has failed to grow with its audience. A lot of the people who still play the games are 1st generation Pokemon games fans. I am one of them. I was eight when I first started playing and I know back then I used to idolise the teenage life (God knows why!) because it promised freedom and maturity.

Besides I have always found it odd how people in the games were willing to let their ten year olds wander around a region filled with criminals who want to steal their Pokemon and presumably leave them defenseless.

For me, mid-teen is the best age range for the heroes as it means they are not children throwing themselves into dangerous situations but they are also on the cusp of adulthood and so their journey with their Pokemon will be about discovering who they are. It was a theme I appreciated in B/W with Cheren and Bianca trying to figure out who they were and what they wanted to do with their lives.
    Yato likes this.

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

BW player characters are about 14-15. Mei and Kyouhei seem around 13-14. Not much older than pre-teen to teenaged.

"All systems full power!" NuvemaHillShipperSonic!'s Avatar

Visit NuvemaHillShipperSonic!'s Youtube Channel

I voted Mid-Teen because Sonic the Hedgehog is officially 15 in the Sonic games and I consider Hilda to be 15, also!
    Tumblr|DA|PokeCommunity|Serebii

Banner by emerald on the PokemonNewsDaily forums. Avatar by Blue Dragon.

I honestly think variety is the best when it comes to ages. Instead of making all of them 10, or all of them 16, why don't they just make different ages. I think it's weird that there was a pattern of only 10 years olds becoming champions. I think adding variety in age adds variety to the different characters and their designs.
    My official Black 2 team.

Some days it's a good day to die. Other times it's just a good day to have breakfast.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Honestly, it doesn't matter. I mean, even in BW, aside from their appearances (which can be decieving) would you even know that Hilbert and Hilda are supposed to be older? It's never a plot point and it should stay that way. Just make their appearance ambiguous enough that they can be any age you want and not state any specific age for the characters and everything should be fine.

Blog Entries

I'd prefer early 20s. However, I'll be voting for late teens.

When I do writing, the main characters, trainers, gym leaders and friends are usually in their late teens or early twenties and I keep my characters in school till the age of 16. It just feels right. A young adult is much more capable of defending themselves in the wild, making critical decisions, etc.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfyre View Post
    Early to Mid Teen. I'm just not comfortable with the default age of ten anymore, and any more than that is a smidgen too old. Ten always seemed too young and unrealistic, no matter how utopian the Pokémon world might be. Besides, the audience seems to have grown. Does anyone here actually like playing a twerpy 10-year-old?
    No protagonist is known to be 10. The only one with a confirmed age is Red, who was eleven in RGBYFRLG.

I'd say mid-to-late teens, like the Unova ones and Wes. Around 16 - 17. Still children but not too young. A lot of young kids like playing characters older than them so marketing is not an issue.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I personally think 10 is a bit too young for a kid to leave home and handle super-powered animals on his own, in some cultures, 13-14 is considered to be the coming of age for people, so I think the protagonist should be between 13 and 17 years old, because at those ages, the person has matured more and is more responsible in making his/her own choices.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Certified Renard fanboy Magnagarde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I feel like late teen would be best, seeing as how it's the most plausible. Going all throughout the country isn't typically something anyone who is under 18 does by themselves. But still, it would be really neat. I'm still going with late teens regardless.
    3DS FC: 2380-3776-6603

Blog Entries

I think younger teens are best, actually. Part of the whole Pokemon story is that the characters grow and mature due to the experiences they have on their journey, right? Having them be already fully matured when they set out kind of takes away from that.

I think that the minimum age for the player characters as being at least 14, because that is around the age when you've matured enough to go on your own. Plus, the characters look to be around that age physically.

Cats: The Original Trolls Aldo512's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Aldo512 On Twitter

I'd say about 13 or 14. It's old enough for them to be trusted to go off on their own, but young enough where they would plausibly not have any other commitments to prevent them from leaving.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I'd still say 15 though ;_; it can relate to both age groups growing up from child to adult mently throughout the game

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 27th January 2012, 10:29 PM