Am I Crazy Or...

Thread: Am I Crazy Or...

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Default Am I Crazy Or...

Am I crazy, or are the Gen V pokemon way easier to level up than previous generations? I played through the first two generations as a kid and barely scraped by level-wise, but by the time I made it to the Pokemon League in White 2 my 'Mons (as I call them) were in their mid-50s. And I was rushing through it, because I didn't have the time to shuffle around in tall grass to level them up. I remember playing Gen II as a kid and by the time I made it to the Pokemon League my team was only getting into their 40s. Half the time my starter JUST made it to its final evolution when I faced Clair. Of course, the first eight gyms in Gen II were easier than the gyms in Gen V, but even in Gen I my team made it to the Pokemon League when they were in their mid-40s at best. Right now I just finished playing through all of the towns in White 2 and my 'Mons are almost in their 70s...do you know how many gaming hours it took me to get them there in Red?

The wild Pokemon are at much higher levels in Gen V than the earlier ones. But as I said, I rushed so I didn't fight too many wild Pokemon. Are there just more battles in these new games, are Pokemon getting more exp per battle, are they leveling up easier, or am I just crazy? I think I might just be nuts; I'm playing through Heart Gold and the level-ups are pretty consistent to what they were in the original Gold. Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining about the fact that they're leveling up better. I don't have the hours I did as a kid to level everyone up extremely high. I logged about 400 hours in one year on my Gold back in the day to get my whole team of legendaries to level 100, which is something I can't do now. It took me a week just to play through the new one in a hurry (I haven't even filled up Box 1 on my PC yet).

Does anyone else think that the newer games have Pokemon leveling up faster?

Default Re: Am I Crazy Or...

It's the exact opposite for me. D8 I had spent a whole weekend grinding for the E4 in my White 2. Before that, I greatly struggled throughout the entire game, since an all-prevo team means your Pokemon need a significant level-advantage to NOT get knocked out in one hit. "OTL I think I leveled up the fastest in my Emerald, it was my first level 100 that I remember.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Huh. I want to say it's because I'm playing White 2 ten years later and I'm better at Pokemon. But I also played HG and I've been stuck in Ecruteak for weeks grinding to kill Morty's stupid Gengar, which is about five levels higher than my weakest, and since I kind of get obsessive over raising them evenly my weakest and strongest only have a level difference of about two. I never had to grind once in White 2. And that's with my obsessive even raising.

Blog Entries
    Add Jammy2A on Facebook

I presume it's partially because there are more trainers to battle in newer generations, and partially because of Audino being available everywhere to level up quickly

Blog Entries

It takes me forever to level my pokemon it seems. But I get really distracted easily by other things. And I hate hate hate going to a new town and being so unprepared for the gym leader/trainers/new route that I grind my pokemon up till they are almost ridiculously over level by the time I move on. I haven't even defeated the first gym in Black 2 yet. I've been busy capturing all the pokemon around and then grinding them up to lvl 10. Then I will level them some more. Then maybe I will see what in the world that orange haired guy wants anyhow.
    Pokemon Black Friend Code: 5200 2131 6316

Falling, but Rising Again Renewal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Theoretically, it should be easier to level up in Generation V--at least when you need it. The experience system was definitely overhauled this generation (as indicated on Bulbapedia) to take levels into account. If you beat a Pokemon whose level is higher than yours, you get more experience. So the new opponents in every town and route will quickly bring your Pokemon up to par with theirs.

In fact, by the postgame of B/W, I'd use Morimoto and Cynthia as quick grinding spots for my new Pokemon. A newly hatched, level one Pokemon with Exp. Share could easily gain as much as 27 levels just from those two. At the very least, it feels a lot faster than comparable methods in Generation IV.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Lucky Egg yet, considering it's WAY easier to get in gen 5 than previous games. xP

The leaf lives on... JustAnotherLeafeon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Although I don't have Black/White 2, I can say that in my White version, they do seem to level easier. However, they also seem to have less HP and/or can take less hits. It's a bit strange.
    Once upon a time there was a leafeon. There wasn't anything special about him. He was just a regular leafeon.
    But there's a story behind the leafeon.

Credit where credit is due.
    Oh look. A deviantART.

I didn't know they overhauled the exp system...though that sounds vaguely familiar. Well, that explains a lot since I generally don't like facing weaker opponents.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Deppends on how you play, dynamic exp will be a good or a bad thing to you.

Generally, it discourages grinding. So training few pokemon, or a group of low-leveled ones, will be better.

There was a flaw in the first BW though that, because of a lack of reasonably-leveled rematches, they succeeded a little too much in removing grinding, so you'd be stuck.

[/overexposition]

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

The worst games to level in were Gen II. I've no idea why they thought it would be a good idea for Kanto to be full of Level 2 Rattata.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    The worst games to level in were Gen II. I've no idea why they thought it would be a good idea for Kanto to be full of Level 2 Rattata.
    Yep and those are the games where I leveled up everyone to the max xD Man, if I had the gaming time and dedication I had when I was a kid I would have level 100 EVERYTHING.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bikini Miltank View Post
    It's not just that. There's the fact that all the trainers in Kanto are generally below Lv. 50, with just a couple trainers (Blaine and Blue) matching/beating that. This means that it takes slower and slower to level up, and so your team could be at their late 40s when you beat Lance, but only reach their mid 50s when you've finished the game.

Anyway, leveling up is different depending on the game. For me, I usually hit the mid 50s by the time I've finished RBY, GSC and RSE, but I get to the 60s in FRLG, DPPt, HGSS, and BW. But even now in Black 2, I still have most of southeastern Unova to do, but my team are already in their late 60s, and will probably be in their mid to late 70s by the time I've finished.

Blog Entries

I think its harder for some Pokemon to level up quickly than others
    my Sudoku (Haxorus) reached level 60 a lot more quickly than my Little Ace (Hydreigon), I know it was a Zwelios at the time but it was a pain to get it evolve
    the same goes for others I have, it just makes me lose my mind when I try to train Unova Pokemon because one always has to level faster than the other when I'm not even trying to level it

Blog Entries

Definitely. I'm at Nacrene city, and everyone's between 68-71. in HGSS I'm almost at Lavender Town and my highest is a 50. I do use the Lucky egg, but their are more trainers, and they are super strong. I do have 4 legendaries, so, *no need to worry*

N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N !!!!!!!!!!!