Aesthetics and Graphics - Page 5
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Aesthetics and Graphics

Default Re: Aesthetics and Graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Floris View Post
    I just hope the final version has some anti-aliasing to help smooth out the rough edges created by the low resolution. It really bugs me to see so many edges!
    Yeah, there were quite a bit of rough edges that just broke the entire spell of beauty for me. Changes will obviously be made before release, so I'm hoping this is one of them as well.

But 3D battles (finally) were a much needed and much appreciated addition.

Blog Entries

People do realize that most RPGS for the PS2 or similarly powered consoles were as flat as these are right? Don't expect bump mapping or anything special from open world 3DS games, especially open world 3DS games that are seemingly non-segmented like the previous iterations. Route 4 is visible from route 3, which is something that has not happened in the games yet, and with no gatehouses insofar for the cities, it seems like we might get a really big world. I'm fine with flat road and sidewalks, and even non rounded ponds. As long as the world is big enough and not hampered by the sheer scale of this project I'm fine. Not to mention the screenshot of route 3 doesn't provide much, as if you watch the footage you can see that its quite hilly.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Chespin View Post
    People do realize that most RPGS for the PS2 or similarly powered consoles were as flat as these are right? Don't expect bump mapping or anything special from open world 3DS games, especially open world 3DS games that are seemingly non-segmented like the previous iterations. Route 4 is visible from route 3, which is something that has not happened in the games yet, and with no gatehouses insofar for the cities, it seems like we might get a really big world. I'm fine with flat road and sidewalks, and even non rounded ponds. As long as the world is big enough and not hampered by the sheer scale of this project I'm fine. Not to mention the screenshot of route 3 doesn't provide much, as if you watch the footage you can see that its quite hilly.
    You're lying.

THIS is Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2:

2bxw8.jpgdragon_quest8_8.jpgthump_7537590dragon-quest-8-.jpgdragonquest8_profilelarge.jpgdq8-25.jpg

Now tell me it looks flat and that XY looks as good as -let alone better than-the pics I just posted. Instead of looking like the pictures above, Pokémon XY looks like Dragon Quest IX for the original DS.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries

You do realize that whil Dragon Quest 8 indeed has a large hilly overworld and is perhaps maybe not as flat as XY, that it is a major exception to what I've said right? I am no liar sir, and your screenshots even prove it, where in the cities the ground is as flat here. And anyway, the 3DS to the PS2 is a dreamcast with extra shaders and what not, so perhaps my example wasn't correct. However, I still stand by it, cause while Dragon Quest 8 is not as flat, other games are. Oh and for the sake of argument, don't come telling me these games look fuller and thus the games look like DS games, cause I'll ignore you afterwards. the OWs simplistic look is more then likely a design choice, and its better to have it look a teeny bit barren instead of feeling boxed in by millions of trees, and personally I couldn't care if stuff still seem a bit square. The indoor area that we have also seen indicate some competence of the games engine, I seriously doubt the tree or the throne room at the end being capable on the DS. Anyway, games that look as flat in the OW are:
    Kingdom Hears 2-Yes I know, you can jump oh ah, some layer to the world! Yes, but the majority of the large areas are as flat as the screenshot's. Hell, even KH3D was as flat.
    Final Fantsy 12-Not the best example sure cause of the god amazing artstyle, but that crappy flat feel to the XY OW floor? Prominent here as well! Worse offenders to this are easily the beach area before Arcadia, the Necrohol of Nabudis which is one large maze of flat, and some areas of the Cataract Lighthouse are also as flat. The Estersand and Westersand obviously are another exception, but that's about it.
    The Shadow Heart Trilogy-Even the later games which do offer some brilliant design choices suffer this curse of flat OW. Not the biggest production value, I'm pretty sure of it, but they still have it.
    Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria- Another great artstyle, another flat OW. I'm starting to wonder if this is becoming a pattern in where the artstyle is at fault for XY then the OW itself. Nah, anyway again flat OW, with some hilly areas.
    SMT3:Nocturne-The game that is most similar to this. Pretty simple artsyle, but maintaining a level of beauty, that is flat no matter which dungeon you give me.

I can go on and on with this, I've played many a PS2 RPG, and while some might not look as flat, most are. Might not look it cause of the amazing art style its hiding behind, but they are. And again with the IX comparison. Do people even know what the game looked like in the first place?

The textures here are not even comparable to what we're getting for the buildings and indoor areas, and the XY videos aren't even in native-resolution. Screenshots have never done a game justice, sure, but the point still stands that while XY might look flat, it does not matter, cause so many other things make a worlds difference between the DS and 3DS:
    -The textures. A lot of the building stuff is really impressive, and the indoor ones are even better. That tree for example, or the stained glass in the throne room.
    -Shading and environmental lighting. Nothing we saw in the game was capable on the DS. Okay now take a look at IX right above us right? See that river? Right good, that might be in motion in game, but it has no reflective surface whatsoever. All the water we have seen insofar has. That right there puts us a bit higher. The forest is another good example. Fixed lighting? Sure, but still not comparable to the BW effect where you walk under a supposed light and the sprite gets lighter, these are psuedo-light sources, with fluid lighting, meaning if you watch carefully the character gets darker slowly as he leaves the light shining through the leaves and not boom dark again like Gen 5. Not to mention, we've seen the man made bodies of water only, the ocean is an entire different beast that will likely change your mind. Another light example is the flames in the throne room, those things definitely have dynamic lighting, no doubt about it.
    -Some particle effects. The psyhcic gym for example has em. Sure, again the DS does them in some games, but not at the level the short clip showed us.

We have only scratched the surface in what the game offers, and while I'm not the biggest fan of the games artstyle and somewhat barren feel, I am not going to cry that it looks like a DS game, because its blatantly not. Nor am I gonna try and discredit a game simply because I don't want to buy a 3DS, and try to justify that it could easily exist on a console I already own, a reason I assume many, not you specifically, are using.
    "Funneh bunneh and the dammut Bahamut go on an adventure!"-Chespin Circa 2009

I sure was funner back then, possibly even stupider....

Crazy Automaton Lady Silverwynde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlastoise View Post
    My brother just spotted that it looks like an Eevee in Golurk's hand with possibly something in between (in Golurk's hand underneath Eevee) but not quite sure.
    Attachment 84826
    After taking a good long look at the shot, it seems the Eevee is standing on the back of Golurk's hand, with the diamond emblem directly beneath the Eevee's paws. The little guy isn't resting in the palm of Golurk's hand which is why you can see some extra detailing. But that is an excellent catch; I never noticed the Eevee in that statue at all. I was kinda too busy looking at the Golurk.

I ♥ my female Bisharp.
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.

Blastoise just got Mega! JoeBlastoise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwynde View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBlastoise View Post
    My brother just spotted that it looks like an Eevee in Golurk's hand with possibly something in between (in Golurk's hand underneath Eevee) but not quite sure.
    Attachment 84826
    After taking a good long look at the shot, it seems the Eevee is standing on the back of Golurk's hand, with the diamond emblem directly beneath the Eevee's paws. The little guy isn't resting in the palm of Golurk's hand which is why you can see some extra detailing. But that is an excellent catch; I never noticed the Eevee in that statue at all. I was kinda too busy looking at the Golurk.
    Thanks. I had seen that something was there and then my brother had recognised it as Eevee. Being the back of Golurks hand does explain the extra detail I spotted but I hadn't even thought it could be the back rather than the palm. So thanks for clearing that up for me.
    My White 2 Tournament Team

Misty/1st Gens fan 4ever! Joalsses's Avatar

What do you guys think of the battle graphics? I like them a lot,the background and the pokemons models looks pretty good.
    Like I said,I liked the pokemons models,but I wonder if the PokedexPro models would be too heavy for the game?I personally like them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joalsses View Post
    What do you guys think of the battle graphics? I like them a lot,the background and the pokemons models looks pretty good.
    Like I said,I liked the pokemons models,but I wonder if the PokedexPro models would be too heavy for the game?I personally like them more.
    Too heavy for the game? Sprites with a bazillion frames would be too heavy for the game.

Joke aside but no, it wouldn't. They simply wouldn't be using 3D models if they couldn't fit them all in. They know what they're doing.

I hope they'll allow us to rotate the Pokemon while looking at them in the dex, that would make it more useful than ever imo.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Actually, I think the reason the Pokédex 3D models aren't being used is that they aren't compatible with the cell-shading in the game.
    My YouTube Vids (Pokémon White 2, Randomized Emerald and soon Platinum)

-Why don't use Pokémon who you like instead of powerful ones? You'll have fun in every battle and winning gives more satisfaction!

Blog Entries

Oh gawd. People are complaining about the graphics of Pokemon, a hand-held game. Pokemon has never been know for its graphics. If you just want to see good graphics with anti-aliasing, high fps, and whatever else, go get a beefy video card and play a recent pc game.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

The way they did the models is so much better than had they gone with the pokedex models. Cel shaded retains the feel of the sprites while still updating. Also most of the 3ds pokedex models look pretty shitty.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The PokeDex Models are alright, but I think they fit the idea of the PokeDex...an objective view of non-individual Pokemon...better than the Pokemon in an actual game that you'll be training as individuals and, of course, bonding with. Cel-shading makes them feel far more inviting and relatable.
    Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Duel Monsters Sengoku!

An original Yu-Gi-Oh Fanfic! Join Yuto Masamune and his Imperial Monster Patch-Eye Dragon as they take on Sengoku Academy!

Current Chapter -Turn 2: One-Eyed Duelist, One-Eyed Dragon! Impress Summon, [Patch-Eye Dragon]!

Yuto continues his Duel against Shisa, a delinquent who calls himself a "Chain Duelist!". Just then, as Shisa's strong offense and defense overwhelms Yuto, a new type of summon occurs!

To the people arguing the capabilities of the 3ds, ill have you know it's an extremely capable system. It's graphical capabilities are on par if not better then a wii. I base this on both the hardware inside and also with games such as Resident Evil Revelations. Will the final game look better, definitely, this is alpha footage. But don't expect to crazy of a difference. Most consoles go with out anti aliasing as it hogs a lot of the memory.

Personally I'm fine with the graphics. They did what most games should do, use a good art style in Leau of earth shattering graphics. Look at games like Okami, or Wind Waker, they still look amazing today. Now look at Pokemon stadium, or grand theft auto 3. Which ones aged better?

Graphically speaking, the 3DS is strong with shaders(lighting effects, basically) and is a bit weak at polygons. Now generally in development, effects are applied after the assets(polygon models and textures) because the assets need to be somewhat set in stone early while the effects can change relatively quickly and easily, and so can be adjusted depending on what's needed and performance. Since the effects, or graphical polish, happens later on, it's possible we might see a not-insignificant upgrade as development nears its completion.

That said, there's a few issues with how the game is currently. In particular, the close-to-the-ground view may be a bit problematic considering the hardware. As I said, the 3DS is a bit weak with polygons, this being at least compared to come consoles like the PS2 or Wii. This weakness makes it advantageous to try and limit the number of objects that would be on the screen. This generally would work fine with the typical overhead view Pokémon usually uses, but if you look in the released videos/screenshots, this game often uses a close-to-the-ground camera view. This greatly increases the number of objects that you see at once, reducing the amount of quality that each object can use up. This isn't so bad if there were small corridors or lots of walls to obstruct view, but that's not really the case in the Route 3 shot.

Follow Rainbow On Twitter Add Rainbow on Facebook Add Rainbow on Google+ Add Rainbow on MySpace
    Add Rainbow on Linkedin Follow Rainbow on Tumblr Follow Rainbow on Flickr Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

I really do like the graphics, especially the cel-shading. They pretty much directly transferred the feel of the sprites into a 3D form.

Like others said though, the edges are just too rough. Then again, quite a few 3DS games suffer from this. I hate to admit it, but it's part of the reason I haven't touched my 3DS in ages. I just can't stand jaggedness.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast