Aesthetics and Graphics - Page 2

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree707Likes

Thread: Aesthetics and Graphics

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon X and Y: 3D & Graphics

I'm definitely in love. GameFreak did a swell job of stepping up the look of the Pokemon franchise, but keeping certain aspects in tact. I am so, so happy to hear about the grid-based map still being in place. That's a staple of Pokemon without a doubt.

My biggest concern is the look of the characters and NPCs. They remind me too much of Harvest Moon's characters and it's not that there's anything wrong with how they look, so much as it doesn't feel like Pokemon. That being said I think I just need to learn to accept the change, because the quality of this game is shaping up to be outstanding.

The battle scenes in 3D look awesome. The move animations are good too.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I love love love the graphics, Pokemon look so much better in 3D, glad they dropped sprites. The environment is just beautiful. I never thought a main series game could look like this. The graphics do look pixelly, I didnt notice at first, now I do. I think it'll be fixed by the time the games are out, but it's not bothering me too much.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

To those who are complaining that the graphical power of these games may not be fully utilizing the 3DS' full capacity, keep in mind the graphical differences between Black 2/White 2 (final main series entires on the DS) and Diamond and Pearl (the first main series entries on the DS). These are the first two main series games on the 3DS, and Game Freak has yet to fully utilize this newer technology. There should be graphical improvements in the Pokemon main series games throughout the entire 3DS life, but I believe we should give the company some slack and be thankful that they are going on the new console route. We've had too many main series games on the DS, tbh.
    Pokefanforever likes this.

Monochrome JC The Supreme Tiger's Avatar

I can't quite tell, but it looks like either the battles use 2D sprites, or they are just very well cel-shades.

I also don't think that the final game will be that pixellated, as with what I've seen with other 3DS games, the graphics tend to be of a higher resolution.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

The 3D models to look less refined than 3D Pro, but I imagine that's a sacrifice they had to make to fit 750+ models in there.

Just compare with B2W2 though:

Black 2/White 2:

X/Y:

Big improvement. Huge improvement.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Default Re: Asthetic nuggest of perection and gameplay speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Warrior View Post
    FINALLY! Attacking animations where you see the Pokemon actually hit each other!
    Don't get too excited, this is just the first trailer, anything could change. Battle Revolution also had Pokemon hitting one another with attacks but they changed this before release.

Sekai de ichiban ojisama. Pratkun's Avatar
    Follow Pratkun On Twitter Add Pratkun on Facebook
    Follow Pratkun on Tumblr

I guess the pixelated issue will be solved after turning on the 3D. And the trailer has resized the screen so it does look a bit pixelated. But of course, I pat Game Freak, for having such a big improvement.

And yes, Pokémon goes 3D!

Officially claimed Scraggy. GPXPlus profile.

I do also hope it will feature both the depth and pop-out 3D effects.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

It's great they didn't go with the Pokedex graphics. They retained some spritelyness to them.

I have to agree with Beck's sentiment. The first thing that came to mind when I saw the overworld was Harvest Moon. Take that as you may.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I like how they included some similar features from Pokemon Battle Revolution - where the pokemons actually move with their attacks. Similarly, how the pokemons show pain when they receive attack and stagger. That's really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    The 3D models to look less refined than 3D Pro, but I imagine that's a sacrifice they had to make to fit 750+ models in there.

Just compare with B2W2 though:

Black 2/White 2:

X/Y:

Big improvement. Huge improvement.
    They are in Cellshading which imo is the best way to translate pokemon sprites into 3d models, the pokedex 3d models would look sluggish like the gamecube/wii games, slow slugish boring, cellshading gives life to games.
    Icestar649 likes this.

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

I just realized how pretty this things gonna be with the day/night time cycle. Factor in season's as well, and we have a winner.
    jokool, sonic10158 and Eradia like this.

Blog Entries

It's obvious that what we've seen so far it basically a beta shot or something like that. I'm pretty certain that the "choppiness" will smooth out as production rolls on. On top of that using the 3D function will more than likely smooth out any rough edges further. But I'm stoked at this new 3D Pokemon game. It is a huge step up from past games, and it looks so beautifully done (aside from the aforementioned choppiness), so I'm really eager to see how all this plays out. Game Freak, you've outdone yourself this time. Great work!
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

They look amazing, and if the choppiness is gone, then it will look even better, not a fan of the protagonists myself, but everything else looks gorgeous.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast