Your Pokémon Fandom Quirks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Pokémon Fandom Quirks

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Your Pokémon Fandom Quirks

In the same vein as the shipping "sins" thread, I bring you a Fandom Quirks thread! I'm putting it here because it covers all forms of Pokémon media. Also I'm the mod and I can.

Probably put under spoiler tags if you're listing more than...oh...thirty.

Anyway, here's mine:

Games
    -I always have a female Machamp named Mabel in my games. Ditto with female Yanma named Damselmon (after an original Digimon).
    -In Sapphire, I never evolved my starter. She's level 70+ and still a Torchic. And she's named after my parrot.
    -Most of my Pokemon have names I get out of a name book, but probably the best name I've ever come up with a Pokemon is "Decibelle" for an Exploud.
    -After all this time, I still can't remember weaknesses and resistances.

General
    -I realized that, if my favorite singer were a Pokemon, he'd be a Gengar.
    -When I troll eBay for Pokémon stuff, sometimes I put on "Ware Wa Collector" and sing along.

Fics and Stuff
    -I like the idea of Giovanni keeping people he's interested in as "pets". If I mention "favorites" in my fics, that's what it's about. He usually kills them, especially if he's getting attached to them.
    -I come up with most of my fic ideas when I'm in bed. I act out bizarre plots and see what I can do with them.
    -"Obsession" and "Black Loyalty", both backstory fics for their respective characters, are my personal canon for them. Everything else I do with the characters follows that backstory. I've got more that I haven't written yet, too.

The Show
    -I give characters voices even if I haven't heard them yet. Which is why, to me, Domino has a light voice with a New York accent, and the Marauder sounds like dub Beezelbumon.
    -I've wanted to dub sooo many characters, and damn, I know I can do a better job than half the people they wind up being cast with.
    -I've never seen "Meowth Rules" all the way through, and I haven't seen any of the 5th movie.
    -I like most characters of the day better than I like Ash. Because Ash is a dingus.
    -I think Brock should have caught Lokoko. Granted, it would have sucked the seriousness out of her character, but it's better than leaving her to wander the world alone.
    -I also think Brock should have caught the broken-heart Spinda. They were a perfect match.

...about half an hour's worth of stuff. That's good for now. You?

Blog Entries

I don't know why Mondo's my favorite character. He's not even that interesting. XD;

I've never had an 100 level Pokemon (except Missingo cheat catches but they don't count). I've also never completed the dex on any game. I never cared much about either.

I'm sure I have more but I can't think of them atm.

DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I never level my Pokes further than 75.
    I cannot now have a team without Drifblim in it.
    My teams MUST contain these types: Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, and usually a Flying type to use Fly.
    At least 4 of my Pokemon on my team must have secondary types.
    I must NEVER double-up on ANY of my team members types.
    All my teams members must be nicknamed.
    My starter always stays on the team, and must NEVER, EVER, EVER have a level lower than any of the others.

I have no idea why.

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Nothing of interest here Perxio's Avatar

Games
    -Highest level Pokemon I've had was a lv.78 Swampert.
    -I always dump my starter in RSE and DP in the PC the moment I can.

General
    -I frequently "cast" people and animals as Pokemon, depending on appearance, characteristics, and/or personality. And done this for years.
    -I give said cast attacks.
    -I had a huge crush on Meowth when I was little. I still absolutely adore him.

Fics and Stuff
    -I'm more of a fan to Fanfiction.net's Buwaro's "Tales of Flame" than I am to either the games or show.

The Show
    -One of the greatest injustices in the show was Brock not getting that Ninetales.
    -I still hold onto these old injustices. 400+ episodes and I still think Meowth should've gotten is eggy-weggy back. Then again, Togepi ended up being a personality leech.

---

Heh, don't have many. Wow.

-I've wanted to dub sooo many characters, and damn, I know I can do a better job than half the people they wind up being cast with.
    No offense, but talk about a superiority complex. I have no doubt that even the worst of 4kids and PUSA are probably better then someone who is an amateur at VAing. For real.

Anyway, for me...

Games:

* I name all my Pokemon after classmates pretty much.
    * I like to use the same six throughout the first play through and develop a bond.
    * I like to GTS Pokemon that are easy to catch just to see what bizarre nicknames I get.

Anime
    * I often imitate the voices when I'm bored.
    * I hum the music alot.
    * I...uh...troll the SOVA LJ (but I leave the thread here alone, since it's better)
    * For some reason I always change the channel when Kanto is on. Dunno why.

Manga
    * I really don't like Special, and I think it's pretty overrated.

TCG
    * I think the TCG is a pretty lame TCG, but I collect the cards for looks.
    * I sometimes make up my own rules.

General
    * I dislike most bishie-gijinka's
    * I like Pokemon meme's alot.

Blog Entries

Games -
    I tend to keep my starter unevolved either permamently or for a long time until like level 45 or something
    it's been this pattern with starters
    Water Grass Fire Water (Hikozaru almost made me have two fires in a row but Pochama was an instinctually choice

Anime -
    I tend to love characters even more if they have smaller eyes - Shinji, Cassidy, Clair, Mary
    I think many Johto filler girls are really cute and that's one reason I like Johto so much
    I tend to like Pokemon for an unknown reason - Treecko family, Tangela, Salamence.
    I love Pokemon memes like Habunake/Korobooshi Kojirou does
    I always have a certain character I'm completely devoted to and will do weird things to feel connected to them. With Cassidy, I had pigtails, with Clair I wore darker clothing and with Shinji I wore my hair in a way similar to his (although it was difficult because his hair is different from mine) and I have a jacket that looks a lot like his which I wear a lot.
    I tend to dislike younger girls with short hair like Lila. I dont know why
    I like to give characters fan personality
    I have two canons: the anime canon and Crystal Clair canon. When the anime canon fails me, I go to the Crystal Clair canon
    Sometimes I can tell what a certain character's voice will sound like in the dub before they're dubbed. I got it correct with Tooi in the dub. I knew the second I saw him, he'd be done by Tara Jayne, the same person who did Bugsy and Richie.

Games--
    After I erased my old Red version I have done everything in ym power to get my old team back, and make it better than it was.
    I still haven't beaten my Diamond version.
    I think the Rocket Grunt sprites are really cute :)
    I wish Cassidy and Butch were in Pokemon Yellow.
    I'm trying to make a Red version sprite comic, with a semi-original storyline! Highlights will include Lt. Surge telling about the war he was in, the main character being captured by Team Rocket, and a running gag with a Fisherman who catches nothing but Magikarp.
    For some unknown reason I'm editing a Galactic Grunt sprite to make Pokemon Hunter J. And I don't know why cause I can't stand her.

Anime-
    While I'm not a big fan of Teams Magma and Aqua (especially in the anime), I like them better than the Pokehunter J.
    I fear J has stolen Cassidy and Butch's competence. :(
    I wish Team Rocket would win for once.

Red: ...

Games:

My trainer name now is always RED...idk why i just did it once, to use the team he had in Special when viz brought it over and i got really attached to that name.

my team in almost every game is the 3 starters, Flyer, electric, bug.(R/E and D/P exceptions) the ones in bold are the exceptions.

FrLg G/S/C R/S/E D/P
    Butterfree Heracross Aagron Rampardos
    Pigeot Crobat Swellow Staraptor
    Raichu Amphorous Gardevoir Luxray
    Venusaur Meganium Sceptile Totrerra
    Charizard Typhlosion Blaziken Infernape
    Blastiose Feraligatr Swampert Empoleon

Venusaur was my fav gen1 starter but Charizard is really winning me over.

All my Charizards are named Napalm

Wish i used nicknames and when i do think of them i normally forget by the time i get to the name rater.

Cubone/Marowak is one of my favorite pokemon and i never use him.

wishing they will give Eevee a moonstone/shiney stone eveolution that is a nomral type but good....

i hate naming my rivals....a lot they end up being "???" lol

Own all the players guides but wish VS still made theres...RIP

Anime:

the show started sucknig after teh St. Ann episode.
    Charizard vs Magmar = OMGZ good
    Any of the Tourneys at the end of the season normally rock to
    D/P is ghey cuz they got all new voice actors....
    I hate Ash for releasing Butterfree & Pigeot...idiot
    After movie 4 i havent seen them but want to.
    Mewtwo was great!
    I own the 3 movie soundtracks and the 2 TV ones.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Æsahættr
    My teams MUST contain these types: Fire, Water, Electric, and usually a Flying type to use Fly.
    At least 4 of my Pokemon on my team must have secondary types.
    I must NEVER double-up on ANY of my team members types.
    All my teams members must be nicknamed.
    My starter always stays on the team.

I have no idea why.
    Same for me except I try to have all six dual types if necessary. And I have doubled up on types before but only because I was doing a mono type team.

I never use items unless I have to like HMs and such. Though I never use Flash, such a waste of an attack slot. A few times I've even gone through the game using only Pokemon given to me in the game so I wouldn't use my pokeballs.

I plan on using a certain Pokemon but end up not doing so because I use the first six I get and that's almost always at the beginning of the game before I get to the intended Pokemon.

I've gone through the game only battling trainers (not counting captures). I wanted to see if I could beat the game without training up on wild Pokemon.

I don't care about IVs/EVs/whatevers. If I want two of the same type attack on a Pokemon then I'll do it. I also only have injuring attacks. Stats change and healing and such are a waste of time to me.

I've played the TCG GB game at least twenty times but I still don't understand how to play the real card game. Though with all the changes it is understandable somewhat.

I still think Shippo (from Inuyasha) looks like a human Eevee.

when you need more, have+ bell02+'s Avatar

Hmm, this one's a good topic, I'm not sure if I have any weird quirks but...

In every game I raised a sandshrew, so I was a little fidgetty to find out I had to beat the game before I could get on in DP.

Also, in my English Diamond, every pokemon I had on my team was basically traded to me as an egg from my Japanese game, so I had raised them from level on.

I still collect the trading cards, but I don't even really know how to play anymore.

Ever so often I wish to make a fan comic of pokemon, and occasionally I come up with ideas that I want to see in the next game or a spin-off game.

I haven't raised any pokemon to level 100 since Pokemon Gold. (And I haven't even completed pokemon Crystal, but that's only because I had lost the game a week after I got it... luckily I found it recently, lol)

Also, I'll collect Pokedolls of my favorite monster, but only because I find it cool because it's like the video game. So in a way, it's like I'm role playing myself as myself designing my room in the video game.

I always following the same rule for my main party in every game: at least one Pokemon for every basic type. So basically I whore out a certain Pokemon everytime for the Gym Battles and I try to balance everything out before the Elite Four.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- I hardly ever evolve my pokemon.
    - I hardly ever train my pokemon.
    - I hardly ever catch new pokemon.
    - I make up a main team along the game, which I'll always use by default. It has from 4 to 7 members usually, and are switched when needed.
    - This main team also has an order by default. But I'm more lenient on this one.
    - Said team is composed by a group of 3 pokemon that have a high level. However the levels are gradual and I try to keep them of a difference of 5 or so.
    - These 3 pokemon are always the starter, the first pokemon I catch, and another one I like. I actually spend a lot of time to catch the first one.

Yeah I'm not too strategical when building my team... But I compensate so by making move combinations between them.

Also I somehow end up getting the "tough starter". As in Charmander in Red, Chikorita in Crystal. I don't really know about Torchic however...

And... I abuse saving. But you have to when you want to keep >200000 money and play underleveled...

Blog Entries

-I have never actually played a game (any game) as much as I have played D/P. It attracts me so! I want that black trainer card.
    -I tend to use Pokemon in real life. A lot. Pokemon was one of my examples in a Lit class presentation.
    -Whenever I see leeks, I shout out "Fetched!" It's just something I do.

hmmm.... confessionals, eh? I hope I don't come off as being a little.... crazy.... but here goes. ^^'

Games
    -I've actually played very little of the Pokemon games. I'm a bit of a game collector, and I've got too many unfinished games (mostly other RPGs) to try and focus on them. However, despite my lack of playing them, I'm pretty studious about the games every time a new generation comes along (thus, I know quite a bit about every Pokemon, the type chart, movesets and base stats to an extent, etc.), plus I usually keep up-to-date when new info's revealed (usually through Serebii).

-even though I've rarely finished an RPG at this point, I'm hoping to one day (even if it's several years down the line) have the spare time to try being an RPG completionist (the type that tries to collect everything and max every character's level), and Pokemon's no exception. That said, I often find myself planning out movesets for each Pokemon in advance (damn that 4-move limit).... incidentally, this is more time wasted that could've actually been spent playing the game ^^' (this also explains why I'm studious of the games.... that, and I guess for fan-writing purposes). A couple years ago, I considered just doing a normal playthrough of my RPGs and leaving a second, completionist playthrough for later on.... however, I've been focused on other RPGs and have yet to pick up a Pokemon game (except Colosseum... and a rom of Mystery Dungeon Red) since making this decision. Though, as of right now, I'm playing through Pokemon Ranger.

Anime
    -I might be able to say I'm a bit of an Advanceshipper.... though hardly a rabid one. I just kinda oppose Contestshipping and Pokeshipping for the most part. Though out of the three main girls, I could also see Haruka being the more sensible pairing for Satoshi (read: Advanceshipping is the lesser of three evils XD).

-On that note, the way people acted after Haruka "replaced" Kasumi left a very foul taste in my mouth when it comes to Pokeshipping, thus further bias from me. ^^' I can't deny there're more sensible supporters of it, like Jo-Jo and Heracross, but in general, I've come to see the ship's majority being composed of whiny bitches and trolls.

-I... fucking.... loathe.... Haruka's Zenigame. Seriously, I never thought I could hate an anime character so much, but then this thing goes and pulls some of the most bullshit Deus Ex Machinas I've ever seen and beats Harley (who really could've deserved a win by that point... in spite of his prior losses, he showed to be a damn competent rival nonetheless). Also, WTF @ making that damn crybaby participate AND win the first contest it comes across? At least with all of Haruka's other Pokemon, they took a bit of time to actually develop (Agehunt, Gonbe, and Fushigidane all lost their first contest, Wakashamo never participated until it evolved, and Eievui and Eneko were sitting out until the second or third contest after joining... for the latter two, the rest of their development was pretty good as well, even though their actual battles had shitty writing to them -_-).

-at first, I actually didn't mind the idea of Satoshi's Kantou Pokemon returning (I mean, how often do his Pokemon actually get to return? OMG, writers actually showing continuity, and given how shitty Jouto was, anything would've been good at that point). But, I guess I changed my mind when, past reading the summaries and actually watching the episodes when they aired in English, I found so many of the other matches in the Shirogane Tournament involving Satoshi's "lesser" Pokemon to be rushed like hell. Plus, there was Bayleaf getting KOed too damn quickly (and Bayleaf was my favorite Pokemon at the time T_T), and Lizardon's battles not turning out to be all that I pictured. This was when I figured that their return just wasn't worth shafting the new guys (mainly Bayleaf) like that, and I've come to resent any subsequent returns by them ever since. Given the rise in Lizardon-bashers I've been seeing in the fandom, I am curious to know if many people had the wrong assumption that I was merely jumping the band wagon there. XD

-despite its over-usage, I still enjoy the song "Ready, Go!". "Pokemon Symphonic Medley", however, I was never really fond of in the first place.

-I actually thought "Glory Day" was OK at first. It's not one of those songs I can listen to repeatedly, however, so I, like many, really started getting sick of it sometime after its return in the Battle Frontier arc (though, at first, I was just relieved to be rid of "Pokemon Kazoe Uta"). "Kimi no Soba de" probably should've died the second that "Pop-up version" started being used. -_-

Translations
    -before joining #Pocketmonsters, I translated some of the comics on Pokesho, beginning with "Sirnight Experience". I don't think I've written any Pokesho translations since joining the sub group, though I have been meaning to get into it again.

-I tried to write a parody sub of the entire Diamond/Pearl premiere special in time for April Fool's 2007 (as a follow-up to my parody of "Gonbe's Debut Battle! The Serious Match with Harley!" from the previous year, which seems to have been so well-received that Dogasu mentions it on his site ^^). Unfortunately, I could only finish the script for the first episode (I also wanted to involve video-editing in the later eps, but my computer's currently unsuited for that T_T), and even then, things were a fucking mess. It wasn't out for April Fool's, so someone decided to label an episode of School Rumble as a pre-release version of movie 10 (I honestly think it would've been a better idea title it as the parody sub, given how much I was hyping it). I'm hoping to release the full version by an eventual date (Christmas? Probably not. Next April Fool's? Possibly. Depends on my computer's condition by then... I'm currently involved in another project, too).

Hentai
    -even though I'm REALLY not into lolicon, I do find myself on the defending end of Haruka fanboys. Her body is pretty developed, enough that one could easily forget any confirmation of her age. There are plenty 14-year old, even a few 12-year old, bishoujo characters whom I find fap-worthy physically mature for their age, but Haruka is definitely the youngest of such characters (at least the youngest of which who supposedly aged normally rather than being aged with magic or some abnormality usually found in anime), and she's most of the reason I've been involved in some "age for a fictional character is irrelevant" debates.

-Hikari fanboys, on the other hand, I'm not so willing to defend. With her lack of chest development, she clearly looks more loli than Haruka ever was, and thus, I've never found hentai (of which I've stumbled upon several oekaki) with her very appealing.

-I'm particularly fond of an oekaki I have which depicts Hinata getting d*!○@X-p□☆@♪~&#37;#ed... she's also barking like a dog for some weird reason (the pic itself is titled "Wan Wan Hinata", which I know because I saw the image board it was originally posted at). I don't quite get that... all that does matter is Hinata getting d*!○@X-p□☆@♪~%#ed, which is why that pic is made of pure fucking win. ^^

-Anonymous Yamato demands more Momi porn! XD

-I'm hoping to make a Pokemon erogee as one of my many doujinshi projects (see below).

Fanfi Doujinshi
    -One doujinshi in mind is based off of a fanfic I used to write in narrative format, then revised for a script format. Likewise, my idea for an erogee is based off of a one-shot that I made to submit in a writing contest at SPPF (also written in script). My style of scripting has received a lot of praise within the fanfiction community, but in the end, I'd prefer to have visuals, like a manga. It's gonna be a while before I ever get to any of my ideas, but I've already sat on them for a few years now, so that's a good indication I won't abandon them so easily.

-I'm intending for bilingual projects, in both Japanese and English. I've been meaning to pitch some of my ideas to a potential Japanese audience (maybe on 2chan), but have yet to do so thus far. ^^' Maybe I'll feel comfortable after working on my Japanese a bit more.

-Although I was considering just hosting scans at first, after doing some research into the subject of doujinshi, I'm contemplating the possibility of actually publishing this through certain Japanese online doujin retailers. Even though it's a hobby, some potential profit could be a nice bonus. ^^

-Still practicing on my artwork... and I've got a scanner that I still have yet to use. ^^'
    Last edited by Yamato-san; 8th November 2007 at 03:47 AM.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Blog Entries

I don't know if I have any weird quirks (mainly cause I don't know what a quirk is), but I'll list them anyway. XD

Games

- I always have a Pikachu on my team, and I've had a Pikachu on all my games.

- Ever since R/S/E, I've always picked the female character and gave her my name.

- Just like Ash, I don't nickname Pokemon. In fact, I've never nicknamed any of them before.

Fanfiction

- I only read Pokemon fanfics that are based on the anime in some way.

- I don't read ANY shipping fics, because they usually have Ash admitting his feelings for the chosen girl in the story (which is out-of-charter for Ash, because he is oblivious to love and anything relating to romance).

- I will read shipping fics if Ash being portrayed in-character, and if the events in the story seem likely to take place in the anime. I enjoy reading Pikashipping fics, but there are few of those out there.

- The fics I sometimes end up reading are random and funny. But most of the time, every fic I read has to have a good storyline. As for the genre, they have to be anime fics about Ash or someone else being turned into a Pokemon.

- I will only read Mystery Dungeon fics if they are related to the anime in some way (through storyline, characters, etc)

Anime

- I've memorized almost all episode titles from seasons 1 through 8. ^^

- I believe Ash's Pikachu is a female.

- I can easily get Pokemon BGM stuck in my head. And when I do, I like to play the song over and over. XD

- I enjoy hearing Ash say my name in the Pokemon anime (that's one of the reasons I like the 3rd movie so much).

- I dislike how the writers never told us was what was inside the GS ball, and I wish they would've revealed that.

- I think they should explain the term "Pokemon Master". It just seems odd, in my opinion, how every time Ash mentions becoming a Pokemon Master I have no idea what the heck he's talking about. XD

- I want to see Ashachu (Ash as a Pikachu) again in the anime, because the writers only showed him for a minute or two. And that was it. So I personally feel like they rushed that storyline, and could've handled it better (if they had made an episode in between "Hocus Pokemon and "As Clear As Crystal").

- Needless to say, I've become sort of obsessed with Ashachu, because I search for pics and fanfiction about him all the time.

- I'm a rerun fanatic, when it comes to seasons 1 through 8. If I see an episode (or a mararthon) on TV, I just have to watch it. Same thing goes for the movies. ^_^

- After being a fan of the dub for so long, I've actually started talking like Ash. For example, just like Ash, I tend to drop the "g's" on words such as going, doing, and walking. I also say the word "awesome" a lot, too. XD

- I wear Ash's hat everywhere, whenever I go to public places. That's just something I do to show people that I'm a fan of the Pokemon anime. XD

- Ever since the VA switch happened, I've been judging Sarah's Ash voice. Every time a new episode airs, I listen closely to the voice itself, how Sarah says her lines, and the way she portrays Ash. Then afterwards, I post my thoughts about this in the episode review thread.
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 8th November 2007 at 09:13 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast