Second stages. I generally don't like most of them, preffering other forms. And outright really disliking one despite the rest being amazing (hello Combusken)
Except for Ivysaur. I really can say Ivysaur is the only starter I like the second stage the most, and I really like Ivysaur in itself too (and the whole line).
Anyway let's go on detail:
- Charmeleon: Ugh. Charmander is cute, and I already explained several times how I like Charizard... But Charmeleon is basically Charmander losing everything I like of it and gaining everything I don't like of Charizard.
- Wartortle: This, on the other hand, I do like. Though I can't really tell if I like Blastoise or Wartortle better in either case.
- Bayleef: It took me a while to get warmed up on this one. Chikorita is basically pure cuteness and Meganium is friendly. Meanwhile Bayleef is very different from the whole line. Because it's such a drastic change from Chikorita I wasn't sure what to think of it, but how it is yellowed, with a bit more open leaves collar and a bitten off leaf shows an interesting personality change, that makes me wonder why did it get ditched and turn back to Chikorita's former "cute and friendly" instead of becoming something different. It still manages to be a cool design in the middle of a line centered in being nice and cute, and I think it's a great design for a middle stage.
- Quilava: Actually, I think I was wrong before. I might like Quilava better than Cyndaquil or Typhlosion... and I do like the line overall, but not as much as Ivysaur. In any case, to me this is the most iconic member of this line, for some reason.
- Grovyle: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon? What is that and why would I be biased for it?
- Combusken: This thing. This is by far the worst. Perhaps not on its own... But, Torchic is my favorite starter. Blaziken is my favorite starter. I think Torchic is easilly the cutest of all the first stages. And Blaziken is badass pokemonified. The contrast between the two is so great, yet it works perfectly... Until Combusken comes in. Then again, birds tend to look ugly when they turn from chicks into adults.
- Dewott: Dewott is good, and I know most people love it and hate Samurott. But I like the final form better. I do think it's a line that looks better as it evolves, though.
The rest I don't particularly care about.