Wow... Another contridictory Gym leader/E4 member... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow... Another contridictory Gym leader/E4 member...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wow... Another contridictory Gym leader/E4 member...

Aside from Jasmine and Byron, who did we get that's Steel? Just Mr. Do-Nothing-Appear-Once-In-The-Anime Steven.

Agent of SHIELD $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

Jasmine wasn't always a Steel-type Gym Leader. She used to train Rock-types.

Misty is really contradictory. In her opening speech, she says her battling style is "an all-out offensive with water Pokemon." Then, she starts battles by using X Defend.

That's called misdirection.
    "You know that dragons are mythical Pokémon! They’re hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior!" - Lance

Princess of Hoenn id peperit.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVecan View Post
    Anyone else sick of the contridictory looking gym leaders?
    For example, we see steel as tough, powerful, or rough
    Not as a shy little girl! (Jasmine)
    And there are more

And, no, I'm not sexist, Her dialouge which contains many, dot dot dot's which are a clear evidence of shyness, it could have been a guy and it still would be out place.

Toodles.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by IceBlue View Post
    Somethimes they're funny. Like Jasmine, she was a funny one. But one I don't like is Tate and Liza. They're not really contradictionary(sp?), don't when yoou think of Psychic Gyms Leaders, you don't think of 12 year old twins. And since when is Tate a boy name? Well, now I should probably prepare for a bunch of people to tell me they're name is Tate.
    Twins are said to share a really close bond, knowing what the other is gonna say etc. Liz & Tate are an embodiement of this, with them being psychic trainers (you could say the twin bond is a sort of psychic). They also finish each other's sentences in R/S, thus further prooving this.

Quote Originally Posted by Champion Lance View Post
    There's nothing straight about Bugsy Morty.
    fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Aside from Jasmine and Byron, who did we get that's Steel? Just Mr. Do-Nothing-Appear-Once-In-The-Anime Steven.
    Steven > Jasmine & Byron.

No one cares about what the anime does. The anime isn't the games after all.

Blog Entries

I actually don't mind that Jasmine is shy or that Maylene is self concious, you don't have to act exactly as the type you raise, you can raise a particular type and love it without being just like that type. Otherwise Karen/Morty/Agatha would be Goths probably. Roxanne, Brock, Roark would be hard and cold as rock. But they all have different personalities (See how there are three rock trainers, it would be pretty boring if they were just like each other)
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

More counter-intuitive personalities, I say. Since, you know, the alternative is dull stereotypes.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't mind about the Gym Leaders with contradictory personalities at all. It's more interesting to stray from stereotypical personalities. If Jasmine had a stereotypical personality, it'd be confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    I think the contrast with Jasmine is a case of intentional irony.
    Don't you mean iron-y? : D

Anyways, I like some variation from the stereotypes (although the complete opposite gets bland sometimes, too, as they develop into stereotypes as well, somehow).
    Last edited by FireMeowth; 28th April 2010 at 04:41 AM.

In glorious technicolor The Outrage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the point of Jasmine, if she's supposed to be shy, then that means her guard is always up. Steel have the best defense by far in the game. There's your similarity.

Also, why wasn't Whitney the one targeted? Her badge is the plain badge and she's anything but plain. I forget in where, but in one of the Pokemon mediums she's an idol and she participates in Pokeathlon.
    Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Steven seems more like a fossil head than anything really.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVecan View Post
    For example, we see steel as tough, powerful, or rough
    Since when have people seen Steel as rough? Iron ore maybe but Steel is an alloy made from refined elements. They would have done a pretty bad job if its rough.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 27th April 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't mind. I liked Jasmine's DPPt and HGSS charachter, I thought it was awkward and funny at the same time!
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

Umm... what. Jasmine is actually one huge stereotypic. There's a huge load of anime series, where the shy neighbourhood girl has a big, brave, tough and muscle boyfriend/crush, who just wants to "guard" and protect the girl, just because that girl is tender and that's cute. Jasmine is a shy girl from neighbourhood and she has her Steelix as a rough bodyguard, because that arrangement is just cute.

I found Wallace and Juan to be a too much the same person, even their sense of style seems to be the same. Yeah, Juan was Wallaces teacher and all that, but they could have those two a bit more different. Juan just looked like a older version of Wallace :P.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

I don't really think a Gym Leader's personality should have anything to do with their type. They can have whatever personality they like.

Putting Jasmine does isn't a good example, to be honest, sure she was shy, but she was meant to be akin to the "strong and silent type" in my opinion (and, wasn't she meant to be relatively new to the Gym Leader business? xD or was that someone else).

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Þæ åsåmste mæn ån þæ sæit Battaman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Champion Lance View Post
    And you're saying this isn't sexist? You elaborate about how she's shy, yet you also felt the need to emphasize that she's a girl--and further, that she's a little girl. What was the point of that diminuitive, if not to marginalize her back she's female?

I'm not sure how someone who's shy can't also be determined. Talk to that annoying "yo champ to be" fellow--he mentions how her tenderness hides her strength from those who're blind enough to make surface judgments.
    Barack Husein Obama is black, OMG I'm a racist!! No wait, I was just stating a fact.

FC: 2766-8797-7935 Known as Bent in game
    Due to reaching 90 friends om my 3DS, I will not add anyone anymore random people, I'm sorry, don't take it personally.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast