Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

I bet in Gen VI, Game Freak is going to surprise us by making every Gym Leader a Dark-type trainer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuuketsuki View Post
    I think there isn't one because the DArk-type is supposed to be so strong that only E4 members can wield it.
    You know, despite the many arguments put forth already that they aren't that strong, or the fact that Psychic, which at Gen I was the strongest time was a gym leader, and had many trainer classes specializing in it.

Or the fact that in Gen V, Roughnecks apparently shifted form specializing in Fighting types to specializing in Dark types. Or Aqua and Magma grunts having an affinity for Poochyena and its evolution, as well as Aqua's preference on the part-dark Carvanha line.

Let's not go around spouting the same old tired explanations that have been thoroughly debunked already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post
    At this point, the best explanation is that most expert Dark-type trainers end up surpassing the Gym Leader rank entirely before the Player even starts their journey.
    While the idea that dark types are so powerful that only Elite 4 trainers can wield them seems a bit, overreaching, I could accept this explanation that Dark trainers are just more powerful. I mean really, if typing made the trainer powerful, mind explaining Aaron or Koga?

dark pokemon seem to be the type that will do anything to win, and dark trainers would be, in theory, the same way. and since gym leaders are there to help others get stronger, they'd need to keep several teams of lower leveled pokemon to use against newbie trainers. dark trainers would not like doing this, and so they try to be in the elite four , where they wouldn't need to do that

Blog Entries

Orion- Wasn't completely serious, but Gamefreak might think it anyways.

There is really no reason for being no dark type gyms, perhaps they just haven't gotten to them yet. Or they just didn't want a Dark Gym leader and a Dark Elite Four member both in the same region (Which really makes no sense since....

Wait my mind is all scrambled up, is there any same type Elite four and Gym leader in the same region? Like if Flannery and Flint or Blaine and Flint were in the same region making there be a Fire gym leader and fire Elite four?

Can't remember them at the moment (Leave me alone there's like many Gym leaders and E4 members to remember). I am not sure if Bruno counts since he trained fighting types didn't he? While Brock had rock types. Agantha I am pretty sure trained ghost type (And the other one, Bertha had ground types).
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

Blog Entries

Wait my mind is all scrambled up, is there any same type Elite four and Gym leader in the same region? Like if Flannery and Flint or Blaine and Flint were in the same region making there be a Fire gym leader and fire Elite four?
    Unless you're counting GSC/HgSs which had sixteen gyms and an Elite 4 between them (which is already 3 over the maximum amount of types), then no.

Surprisingly managed to be a game without a Ground leader/E4 member thanks to Blue, yet no one makes a fuss about that.

Blog Entries

Outrage- Not counting them, but see there we go.

That's why we don't have a Dark type gym leader because we have an Dark Type Elite four member/trainer in this generation!.

Wait until the next one and then we will see, since the E4 members don't usually seem to train the same types of any of the Gym leaders known in that particular region then explains everything.

So there hasn't been a Ground Gym leader? Wow I never realized that (Isn't Bertha an Ground Elite 4 member?)
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Giovanni and Yakon are ground leaders...

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

The Curious Lord of Time Thanatos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vullup View Post
    Generally, Gyms are saved for types that have lots of glaring exploitable weaknesses, like Rock-type or Bug-type. Dark-type has very few weaknesses, which is why it's generally put in E4 territory. If there was a Dark gym, it would almost certainly be the eighth and last gym.
    well a dragon-dark champion would be good and very hard to beat. but if they make a dark gym they should make pokemon strong against dark be easy too catch early in the game

The Slashing Skarmory Bladewing's Avatar

Its prolly cause of lack of Dark types to use. seriously, look at Karen's lineup. Umbreon, Murkrow, Vileplume, Gengar, Houndoom. 2 of those arent Dark types. there just arent enough pokemon.as for a gym puzzle, simple. A Romhack of Ruby called quartz had a final gym that was dark type, just import that puzzle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bladewing View Post
    Its prolly cause of lack of Dark types to use. seriously, look at Karen's lineup. Umbreon, Murkrow, Vileplume, Gengar, Houndoom. 2 of those arent Dark types. there just arent enough pokemon.as for a gym puzzle, simple. A Romhack of Ruby called quartz had a final gym that was dark type, just import that puzzle.
    Yeah, and Karen was an Elite 4 in the generation they introduced the typing, and like you said, there were all of two Pokemon on her team (though four dark type families)

In this generation? There are four, and again, one of them is a pseudo-legendary, but that still leaves three. No gym leader in Unova has more than three Pokemon, and they don't seem to mind doubling up.

In Gen I they had a Dragon Elite 4 despite the single dragon type, in Gen II, they had a Dragon Champion and gym leader, both of which only used one species of their type.

Gen IV had Flint, who only had two fire types in DP, but managed to keep his typing by keeping the "heat" theme among his Pokemon.

And again, Karen herself, while only using two dark type Pokemon managed to keep the "Dark" theme in her team, using nocturnal Pokemon or other Pokemon we associate with darkness.

That's not really an excuse as to why there are no types.

Quote Originally Posted by darkrai07 View Post
    well a dragon-dark champion would be good and very hard to beat. but if they make a dark gym they should make pokemon strong against dark be easy too catch early in the game
    You mean like bug types? Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Bladewing View Post
    i'm pretty sure you could make a decent team(with no repeats) from just the dark types released in gen V

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

i think this realization just haven't hit them yet, i don't think its like they have problems with the Dark-type, i think its just a coincidence.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcogginsa View Post
    i'm pretty sure you could make a decent team(with no repeats) from just the dark types released in gen V
    Well an earlier gym could certainly have a potent team. A gym in the later stages of the game probably wouldn't feature Lepardas or Sazandora. It'd still be enough to feature a very good team, containing any of Jiheddo, Barujiina, Kirikizan, Zoroark, Zuruzukin, and Waruvial, any one of the underlined pokemon being their star, a pokemon that doesn't get seen earlier in the game and that is their strongest. Jiheddo probably wouldn't be the star of such a team though, being NFE. And I doubt it'd be Kirikizan.

But I think they're avoiding Dark gyms, and doing so for a reason, whatever the reason.

On another note, it'd be cool if gym leaders had DW-ability pokemon, or if their star pokemon had their DW ability.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Studying Greek Mythology. KronosClownz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would find that awesome.
    Mail me with new myth requests!... Credit to Fang for making this awesome banner

Eating too much chicken's bad, it gives you dandruff

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

They probably just haven't had a good idea for a design. Maybe in Gen VI, we can hope, since it'll be Unova's Johto.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast