Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeX View Post
    It would be amusing if GameFreak trolled us by having the first ever Dark-type Gym as Gym #1.
    Dark is weak to Bug... and Bugs are the first damn stuff you find in the wild.

Anyway, I thought there hasn't appeared a Dark Gym because the evil team plays that role in a way.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sennen_Goroshi View Post
    Anyway, I thought there hasn't appeared a Dark Gym because the evil team plays that role in a way.
    Only Team Plasma actively uses Dark Pokémon, so... not really. Team Rocket uses a variety, focusing in Poison. Only Giovanni in his brief HGSS feature, Ariana and Archer use Dark Pokémon. Team Magma only use the Mightyena line. Team Aqua has Mightyena and Sharpedo lines. Galactic doesn't uses Dark Pokémon, besides Jupiter and Cyrus.

Even then, that's no excuse. That didn't stop Poison from having a Gym in the same Generation where Team Rocket, a Team with an emphasis on Poison Pokémon, ran amok.
    lol I got bored.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

Are people forgetting that there are three Dark-type Elite Four members? If not wanting to show evil or something had anything to do with this, why'd they go ahead and make three elite members who train the Dark-type?

At this point, the best explanation is that most expert Dark-type trainers end up surpassing the Gym Leader rank entirely before the Player even starts their journey.

Reject the status quo! Radio Rebel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sennen_Goroshi View Post
    Dark is weak to Bug... and Bugs are the first damn stuff you find in the wild.
    True, but even that obvious fact is completely irrelevant, considering it's entirely possible to beat a Pokémon without using super-effective moves. You guys do realize that, right? Dark is no more powerful defensively than other early Gym types (and especially not more so than Rock, which we've had THREE times). If you ask me, Dark is even more overrated than Dragon. At least Dragon has extremely common resistances. Who the hell even has a Psychic, Ghost, or Dark move during the first Gym battle anyway? Not to mention a Psychic or Ghost-type Pokémon. An early Dark Gym would be no more difficult than any other type (other than Steel or Dragon).

Having said that, I would prefer the Dark Gym come last rather than first. I don't want it to be wasted on, as someone else said, the likes of Poochyena and Choroneko etc.
    Name: Rebel ♦ Friend Code: 2208-6003-1380 ♦ Friend Safari: Beautifly, Paras, Vivillon
    Badges: 8 ♦ Pokédex: 712 Seen / 712 Obtained ♦ Medals: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Hasta View Post
    Only Team Plasma actively uses Dark Pokémon, so... not really. Team Rocket uses a variety, focusing in Poison. Only Giovanni in his brief HGSS feature, Ariana and Archer use Dark Pokémon. Team Magma only use the Mightyena line. Team Aqua has Mightyena and Sharpedo lines. Galactic doesn't uses Dark Pokémon, besides Jupiter and Cyrus.

Even then, that's no excuse. That didn't stop Poison from having a Gym in the same Generation where Team Rocket, a Team with an emphasis on Poison Pokémon, ran amok.
    Team Galactic Grunts frequently use Stunky, Murkrow and Houndour !

Blog Entries

Simple, Dark Pokemon are too awesome to be an gym leader's Pokemon and are so powerful they end up in the ranks of the known 2 Dark types Elite four members and any other future ones
    My RP Character's Pokemon! Click to feed them! Each of their Signature Pokemon in Order:
    Kathany, Amber, Piper, Kate, Zoey and Lane.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

I dunno why there are no gym leaders, but there is probably a reason for it.

/thread

Anyway, Gen 5 would've been the time for a Dark gym, with 7 lines of Dark pokemon. Most of the other gens would have annoyingly repetitive gyms.

Anyway again, gyms seem to have leaders meant to train and tutor other trainers. They hand out TMs and have many local trainers around in their gym and all. I don't think there is meant to be a Dark gym leader. (So I think there won't ever be one.)
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

I just assumed GF probably wanted to piss us off(Especially me) by having no Dark type leaders. I was very annoyed they did this in Gen V, as a result. I guess Elite Four is better than nothing though. After all, they are ranked higher than the Leaders.

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pokemon Gym Leaders are no stranger to darkness. Sabrina (especially in the anime) was psychotic and really creeped you out.

Though I do agree we need a Dark-type Gym.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoonknight717 View Post
    Pokemon Gym Leaders are no stranger to darkness. Sabrina (especially in the anime) was psychotic and really creeped you out.

Though I do agree we need a Dark-type Gym.
    Psychotic does not equal dark/evil (Japanese name for the type).

Anyway, having 3 Dark pokemon-using Elite 4 members hardly falls in the 'better than nothing' category. There have only been 4 regions where such is possible: Dark pokemon didn't exist in Gen 1.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

When Zoroark was announced as the first Gen V Pokemon my hopes went up fur us having our first DarkGym, especially with all these new Dark lines this Gen. But no, still no sign of it and a E4 member who uses a first-route Pokemon (Imagine Agatha having a Raticate... I mean really)

Anyway, maybe it's their way to show that the Dark type is something special. Don't know...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Giusti View Post
    Team Galactic Grunts frequently use Stunky, Murkrow and Houndour !
    Right, I forgot about those.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow's Tara View Post
    Simple, Dark Pokemon are too awesome to be an gym leader's Pokemon and are so powerful they end up in the ranks of the known 2 Dark types Elite four members and any other future ones
    More like overrated, seeing how most people here are so intent on proving what can't be proved with fact. Dark Pokémon are no more "awesome" than other Pokémon Types. Plus, "awesomeness" isn't a criteria for Gym Leaders. If it was, there would be no Dragon Gyms, either.

And, as I said before, there are weak Dark Pokémon. It's not like every Dark Pokémon in existence is a goddamn Pseudo-Legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    I dunno why there are no gym leaders, but there is probably a reason for it.
    Yes, there is. GameFreak are lazy, love repetition, and enjoy keeping an already dull trend even duller by keeping the few things that would make it interesting at bay.

Anyway again, gyms seem to have leaders meant to train and tutor other trainers. They hand out TMs and have many local trainers around in their gym and all. I don't think there is meant to be a Dark gym leader. (So I think there won't ever be one.)
    Why? What makes the Dark Type "unable" to tutor Trainers? That they'd be "sneaky"? "Evil"? Wow... what a stupid reason if so. Karen, Sidney and Gima sound like pretty decent people all-around. The only one that can be considered a "bad" example is Sidney, and that was just people calling him a punk. Even then, that's a huge stretch. They're testament of hard work and honesty for being part of the Elite Four as it is. Why would a Dark Gym Leader be any different?

Oh right, he/she wouldn't be different. It's just GameFreak's laziness. The usual...

I find all the "reasons" in this Thread completely lacking in reason, and in many ways, very amusing.
    lol I got bored.

Disaster approaches... BlackwaterPark's Avatar

I'm pretty much in agreement with Orion. Remember Karen? "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites." Who says that Dark-type trainers don't have anything to teach?

Regarding Team Galactic's frequent usage of Dark-types, I'd just like to point out that Team Rocket's spamming of Zubat and Koffing didn't stop Koga from leading a Poison-type gym.
    Current activity: Playing through Platinum for the first time.

1. Find shiny Pokemon
    2. Determine Secret ID
    3. RNG to my heart's content!

Last updated April 17, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post
    Are people forgetting that there are three Dark-type Elite Four members? If not wanting to show evil or something had anything to do with this, why'd they go ahead and make three elite members who train the Dark-type?

At this point, the best explanation is that most expert Dark-type trainers end up surpassing the Gym Leader rank entirely before the Player even starts their journey.
    I guess this is probably really the best explanation for it.

Though I must say, as many others, I was dissapointed when Unova tunred out to be lacking a Dark Type Gym. I mean, after 10 years, you think they'd give it its first Gym when at the same time, some types have gotten as many as 3 Gyms by now.

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think there isn't one because the DArk-type is supposed to be so strong that only E4 members can wield it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast