Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

Default Re: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

True, Dark appears to be under-represented. I like to think of Dark-type trainers as chaotic and consequently lacking the motivation to build and maintain a gym, kinda related to the protagonist in a way. Maybe they're independent trainers who had their own journeys and were asked to join the Elite Four. Then again I'm just roleplaying imagination here.

Maybe Game Freak screwed up by having valid Dark gym ideas in Ghost type ones, using them up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    True, Dark appears to be under-represented. I like to think of Dark-type trainers as chaotic and consequently lacking the motivation to build and maintain a gym, kinda related to the protagonist in a way. Maybe they're independent trainers who had their own journeys and were asked to join the Elite Four. Then again I'm just roleplaying imagination here.
    There's nothing chaotic about any of the dark-type E4's. Not to mention that non-Dark type leaders don't seem to be any more calm and trick out their gyms.

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    Oh look, 50% of Dark's weakness is a common move. Then there's also the early-game bugs that can get a super-effective hit before like, the first gym, so theoretically, Dark could be easily taken care of even at the first gym.

The reason Steel is stronger is because you don't get any of those powerful moves until much later. Almost screwed if you don't take a fire type. Dark type on the other hand can be beaten with common early-game archetypes.

Then there's the massive defensive typing that makes any weak powered Super effective moves seem like they aren't even super effective, and all the powerful moves are learned late-leveled.

And so what if it had three common weaknesses? Notice how that doesn't stop them from being one of the most used types in competitive battling? It's because they have 11 resistances and 1 immunity. That right there kills 12 STAB moves in-game, and renders most of the Pokemon's other moves weak. Now if we're talking about common attacking moves, Steel type just resisted more common ones than it is weak to.

It's also not like they're any better as an offensive typing being SE on only two types, it just lucks out that the two types it's SE in are common in competitive battling (which doesn't really matter in-game).

Dark type is no where near as hard to take down.

You read me wrong. I wasn't comparing the steel type to the dark type at all. I'm honestly not good at debating...you intimidate me sir =(
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

I cant help to think that Dark type, in the anime, are still considered a normal type... i've never seen a phrase like.. "But, psychic type move is uneffective agains a dark-type pokemon!"

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    There's nothing chaotic about any of the dark-type E4's. Not to mention that non-Dark type leaders don't seem to be any more calm and trick out their gyms.
    Yeah, you're right actually. I guess there's not much of an in-universe justification for it, as other rare types have been represented better. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Orion-sama View Post
    Um, I wonder which of those "common" Types is also strong against Dark. Not to mention Bug, a much more common Type found always on early on Pokémon, whether they suck or not.

So, there's no excuse. Dark's strengths (Psychic, Ghost) are overall uncommon in-game, and so are its resistances (Psychic, Ghost, Dark), way more so than its weaknesses. Dragon? Only two very uncommon weaknesses, and resistances to four very popular Types, yet it gets two Gyms? lol

I only hope they start going for mo
    I wasn't trying to make excuses for the absence of a dark type gym. When I was replying to outrage about the steel type I wasn't comparing it to the dark type even if it appeared that I was doing so.

All I was trying to say is that Steels 11 resistances and 1 immunity are balanced by how common the weaknesses are. Plus many Steel types used by Gym leaders are part rock or ground.

I have no idea how to respond to these long paragraphs because I wasn't trying to spark a debate.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Baron Brixius On Twitter

Hm... maybe they need to introduce a new Trainer Class which specializes in Dark-type pokemon. I dunno, 3 generations straight without a Dark Gym leader is strange. There's nothing really special about Dark type.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

This is strange...

Dark-types are awesome, and apparently unloved by Pokemon and Game Freak. I hope they decide to add a Dark-type gym.

Even if Dark Pokemon are strong, and don't have many resistances, Game Freak could design the Gym Leader's team so that it still isn't too difficult to beat. Some of the Pokemon could be dual-type and have more weaknesses, or be unevolved with slightly lower stats. Even the first Gym Leader could be Dark-type if they were to use a Level 10 Poochyena and Level 12 Choroneko, or something. But really it probably would be better to save the Dark Gym for later in the game, preferably the seventh or eight Gym.
    Last edited by Taromon777; 8th January 2011 at 06:12 PM.
    White Team

Quote Originally Posted by Taromon777 View Post
    Even if Dark Pokemon are strong, and don't have many resistances, Game Freak could design the Gym Leader's team so that it still isn't too difficult to beat. Some of the Pokemon could be dual-type and have more weaknesses, or be unevolved with slightly lower stats. Even the first Gym Leader could be Dark-type if they were to use a Level 10 Poochyena and Level 12 Choroneko, or something.
    I would be so pissed if the Gym leaders Pokemon were a fucking Poochyena and a Chornoneko. That's basically insulting. There's nothing difficult, evil, powerful, or whatever about the dark type. They are just Pokemon like the rest of them.

I just wish they would stop being treated as if they were taboo.

Blog Entries
    Add Morru Magnum on Facebook

I am also disappointed that we still do not have Dark gyms.
    Dark is my favorite type, so yeah...

I bet Dark trainers who sign up to become a gymleader are so powerful and cool they get promoted to be in the Elite Four by the pokemon league. xD

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY!
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log | Violet Gym |

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Many, like me, hoped that the final gym leader of Unova would be dark. So many will agree that the dark type, after over ten years, deserves that final gym slot.

As for why there are none? I don't know. You could make one based of ninjitsu a la Koga. You could make one based off a vigilante like Zorro. There are so many possibilities

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

I think the reason Dark hasn't had a gym yet is it's associated with "dirty" fighting.

Common dark moves cause flinching. Others are like Sucker Punch which get high priority and do decent damage.

An in game Dark gym would be extremely annoying for these reasons, but still a pretty good challenge.

I wouldn't toss it in as the first leader, but it would make a great final gym.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I like to think that we have no Dark Gym yet because GameFreak isn't ready about this, even though the variety of Dark-types has always been good from Generation 3. Also, if the Elite 4 has Dark-types, does it actually matter? After all, they use the greatest Dark-types to battle. I would also like to see the Dark-type Gym as number 9, as a secret Gym that you need to go to, as the Badge Inspector told you so, who would normally say you already have all the badges by the time you meet him.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    I like to think that we have no Dark Gym yet because GameFreak isn't ready about this
    Isn't ready how? Like you said, they have plenty of dark Pokemon.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast