Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

Default Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

For me, one of the greatest mysteries of the Pokemon world is the lack of Dark-type Gym Leaders. I knew that the fifth generation was going to be a pioneer for fresh new ideas, and was expecting one of Unova's Gym Leaders to train Dark-type Pokemon. But once again, there is no Dark-type Gym! Does anyone have any idea why this is? Is it because the Gym Leaders are supposed to be "good", and players might associate a Dark Gym Leader with "bad" and "evil"?

It seems really silly to me; Dark Pokemon use the forces of darkness in battle but they're not actually bad. If there was a Dark-type Gym Leader, this fact could be mentioned in the game; the Leader tells the player that Dark Pokemon are good on the inside and can become close friends. That would actually be a really interesting story element, and a really interesting Gym Leader. Does anyone else agree? We've had Karen and Sidney, but it's about time a Gym Leader turned to the Dark side!
    White Team

Blog Entries
    Follow That Guy On Twitter Add That Guy on Facebook Add That Guy on Google+
    Visit That Guy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Why are there no Dark-type Gym Leaders?

I agree, but isn't the Dark-type actually called the 'Evil-type' in Japanese? Also, there aren't very many gimmicks a Gym can have with a Dark theme (granted, the same goes for Ice, yet they manage to rehash that every generation or so). Plus, Dark has the image of being stronger, since it often plays a role in the E4.

I support the idea of having a Dark leader, though.
    Yeah, I write weirdly dark stuff sometimes. Birdsong, I Can't See The Light and The Courteous Soldier, if you're interested.

I run the Yourovision Song Contest. Join us!
    Alternatively, partake of my vlogs, Eurovision reviews and LPs on my second YouTube channel.

Generally, Gyms are saved for types that have lots of glaring exploitable weaknesses, like Rock-type or Bug-type. Dark-type has very few weaknesses, which is why it's generally put in E4 territory. If there was a Dark gym, it would almost certainly be the eighth and last gym.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that the Dark-type Gym Leaders all got bumped up to their local Elite 4 group because they were so good, they were needed.

...but yes, it'd be awesome to have that once. We can only hope GenVI has them.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Christian Brutal Sniper! Dark Tranquillity's Avatar
    The Gallery, walking amongst the portraits. Where every picture holds a tale.

It would be cool, after all these years, to have a Dark type Gym.
    It doesn't even have to be the first or second gym in a region. Make it the fourth or fifth gym.
    SS FC: 4984 7968 7958, Pt. FC: 2666 0837 1829
    Name for both: Ben, White FC: 1978 9611 8922 Name: Alexi

Claims:
    Force Palm, Nidoqueen, Maylene, Old Chateau, Magma Leader, Magmarizer, Great Ball, Heavy Metal

Fun fact:
    TM28 contains Tombstony!

"My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic" fans unite!
    http://www.everypony.com/forums/forum.php

It would be amusing if GameFreak trolled us by having the first ever Dark-type Gym as Gym #1.

*rules with cotton fist* Kayi-chan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeX View Post
    It would be amusing if GameFreak trolled us by having the first ever Dark-type Gym as Gym #1.
    Indeed. But I consider their biggest trolling the first gym in GenV...
    SimH5 likes this.

2010/08/02: 4th chapter

More fanfiction at:
    Kayi S. Rowling's Library

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I don't see what the big deal is. We have had 3 Dark type trainers in the E4 which I think is fine.

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vullup View Post
    Generally, Gyms are saved for types that have lots of glaring exploitable weaknesses, like Rock-type or Bug-type. Dark-type has very few weaknesses, which is why it's generally put in E4 territory. If there was a Dark gym, it would almost certainly be the eighth and last gym.
    Many Dark pokemon are dual typed effectively giving them more weaknesses. In fact, only 9 of the 39 dark types are pure dark types.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallade X
    Zuruguu lv. 13
    Murkrow lv. 12
    Houndour lv. 13
    Absol lv. 14
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vullup View Post
    I doubt that's the reason considering Steel type and its massive array of resistances. No doubt that the early gyms take typing into account, but later gyms probably won't. Honestly, Steel types with their resistances are probably more difficult to take down than Dark types, and it doesn't explain why dragons, with only two weaknesses (same number as dark if I recall correctly), none of them too glaringly obvious for beginners have had two gyms dedicated to them.

And really? "One of the greatest mysteries of the Pokemon world"? Hardly.

God forgives, I don't. SinCosTan's Avatar

Despite the massive resistances the steel type has, a player is more than likely to have one of the types that hit steel super effectively. Fire, Fighting, and Ground are all common attacking types.
    When you find yourself in hell, dance with the devil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tepig Boss View Post
    Despite the massive resistances the steel type has, a player is more than likely to have one of the types that hit steel super effectively. Fire, Fighting, and Ground are all common attacking types.
    Oh look, 50% of Dark's weakness is a common move. Then there's also the early-game bugs that can get a super-effective hit before like, the first gym, so theoretically, Dark could be easily taken care of even at the first gym.

The reason Steel is stronger is because you don't get any of those powerful moves until much later. Almost screwed if you don't take a fire type. Dark type on the other hand can be beaten with common early-game archetypes.

Then there's the massive defensive typing that makes any weak powered Super effective moves seem like they aren't even super effective, and all the powerful moves are learned late-leveled.

And so what if it had three common weaknesses? Notice how that doesn't stop them from being one of the most used types in competitive battling? It's because they have 11 resistances and 1 immunity. That right there kills 12 STAB moves in-game, and renders most of the Pokemon's other moves weak. Now if we're talking about common attacking moves, Steel type just resisted more common ones than it is weak to.

It's also not like they're any better as an offensive typing being SE on only two types, it just lucks out that the two types it's SE in are common in competitive battling (which doesn't really matter in-game).

Dark type is no where near as hard to take down.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 8th January 2011 at 02:25 PM.

Yeah, I wish there was a dark type gym as welll, but I think Game freack fears that the gym design and such might be too occult, with idoiots alreayd oging around saying pokemon is a devil's game.

the point is, dark types are really strogn too, so that's probably why they also don't appeara as gyms, but rather in the E4.

Though, I do think that there should be a dark type gym.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tepig Boss View Post
    Um, I wonder which of those "common" Types is also strong against Dark. Not to mention Bug, a much more common Type found always on early on Pokémon, whether they suck or not.

So, there's no excuse. Dark's strengths (Psychic, Ghost) are overall uncommon in-game, and so are its resistances (Psychic, Ghost, Dark), way more so than its weaknesses. Dragon? Only two very uncommon weaknesses, and resistances to four very popular Types, yet it gets two Gyms? lol

It's just one of many short sights of Game Freak. It's already a massive short sight to keep Gyms enclosed within the same tired archetype every damn time, but they keep on abusing the same Types too much. So I'll chalk it up to their fetish of basking in repetition. I wish they stopped basing Gyms off Type altogether, but I've given up hope by now. :/

I only hope they start going for more interesting combinations and variety instead of using the same shit over and over, as is the case lately...

Quote Originally Posted by AniMénga® View Post
    the point is, dark types are really strogn too, so that's probably why they also don't appeara as gyms, but rather in the E4.
    Poochyena? Murkrow? Sableye? Strong? Every Type has weak and strong Pokémon to choose from...
    lol I got bored.

Blog Entries

Only two very uncommon weaknesses
    At first, I was thinking that Ice was a fairly common move, but again competitive battling. In all honesty, I got absolutely no ice moves in the Johto games until Pryce's gym. It really is uncommon in the play-through. Then there's the dragon moves, which you don't get a TM for until you beat the dragon gym, and dragon Pokemon which also don't appear until then.
    Quote Originally Posted by AniMénga® View Post
    To add to Orion's point, once again, two Dragon gyms. Taking fully-evolved forms into account, dragons are no where near as weak comparatively. Then, in Gen V, where we get dragons that don't have a glaring x4 weakness, we get yet another gym. And guess what, their strongest Pokemon is faster than Rayquaza and almost just as strong on the physical typing, and knows Dragon Dance. Then they also use its pre-evolution, who's attack stat is over 100 base points and another with 120 attack and hurts you for touching it.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 8th January 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast