Why the Silph Scope isnt needed any more?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Silph Scope isnt needed any more?

Question Why the Silph Scope isnt needed any more?

Do you have any possible explanations on why the Silph Scope hasnt been used, upgraded, or needed since Red travelled to the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town?

I have a couple theories why:

It was discovered that every one in the world(of all regions) already possessed the ability to see Ghosts, and the Silph Scope was no longer produced.
    Ghost-types have become closer to humans, and akways make themselves more visible, getting rid of thier annonymity.

Try not to mention Gamefreak or anything about the physical development of Pokemon.
    Btw, I dont just mean in the video games, but in anything related to Pokemon :)

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Default Re: Why the Silph Scope isnt needed any more?

Once upon a time there was a company named Silph.

Silph had a problem. Gullible trainers and Team Rocket members believed government propaganda that ghosts weren't real, and Silph "Ghost-away" sales had plummeted.

They had another problem. Devon Corp had just come out with a brilliant product called "Chameleon-away" that was selling like wildfire in Hoenn.

So Silph decided to produce a new product: the Silph Scope! For the simple price of 1,000,000 yen/dollars/Poké, you too could see mythical ghosts that hang out in all of one tower. Devon, meanwhile, made an actually useful product to find Kecleons that they could sell for much cheaper. It was called a "shoe", although Champion Steven insisted on using a modified Silph scope instead.

The Silph scope went out of business when the ghost lobby, lead by Morty and Agatha, successfully convinced the government to stop teaching that ghosts don't exist, and as a result everyone believes in ghosts and no longer need Silph scopes to see ghosts and now just use general repel.
    Last edited by Sith Droideka; 14th November 2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Grammar error!
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Droideka View Post
    Once upon a time there was a company named Silph.

Silph had a problem. Gullible trainers and Team Rocket members believed government propaganda that ghosts were real, and Silph "Ghost-away" sales had plummeted.

They had another problem. Devon Corp had just come out with a brilliant product called "Chameleon-away" that was selling like wildfire in Hoenn.

So Silph decided to produce a new product: the Silph Scope! For the simple price of 1,000,000 yen/dollars/Poké, you too could see mythical ghosts that hang out in all of one tower. Devon, meanwhile, made an actually useful product to find Kecleons that they could sell for much cheaper. It was called a "shoe", although Champion Steven insisted on using a modified Silph scope instead.

The Silph scope went out of business when the ghost lobby, lead by Morty and Agatha, successfully convinced the government to stop teaching that ghosts don't exist, and as a result everyone believes in ghosts and no longer need Silph scopes to see ghosts and now just use general repel.
    Oh, their beliefs int he ghosts are what allowed them to see them in thier own, thats interesting.
    And Devon Corp. made a Kecleon detection device called a "Shoe", LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Enzap View Post
    The ghosts in Lavender Tower were probably made restless and by that Marowak spirit. I kind of saw that as a leader who told all the other ghosts to scare people away. After you defeated the Marowak, I doubt you even needed the Silph Scope anymore.
    That makes alot of sense! They may have intended to show themselves like usual, but the Marowak influenced/persuaded them otherwise. I never actually tried to go back to the Pokemon Tower without a Silph scope after the Marowak crossed over, it'd definitely be interesting if you dont need it anymore :D

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    What would we use it for?
    To see ghosts, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    There is a difference between dead Pokémon and Ghost-type ones. We've only seen one example of the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    Mostly because we haven't really seen literal ghosts in-battle outside of the events of Pokémon Tower.

Ghost types aren't necessarialy ghosts. Marowak and her influence in the pokémon tower, and the ghosts possesing everything in there, were literal ghosts.
    So Ghost-types arent dead Pokemon, and there are two seperate categories of ghosts in the Pokemon World, Ghost-types and Dead Pokemon. Very interesting theory! :D
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    -_-

What ghosts? Pretty all the ghosts in the other games are see-able without the silph scope so what would be the point.
    That was the POINT of this discussion...ghosts ARE visible without the Silph Scope, but at one point the Silph Scope was required.

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Or maybe the Pokedex comes with a built in Silph Scope? the Kanto models came out first didn't have them but the others had it built into their programing to allow us to see Ghosts?
    That sounds like a great technological advancement :D

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Or maybe the Pokedex comes with a built in Silph Scope? the Kanto models came out first didn't have them but the others had it built into their programing to allow us to see Ghosts?
    Ash's Pokédex had that in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak... Gastly was disguised as a ghost but eventually the Pokédex identified it.

Anyway, my theory that I came up with just now... concept-wise (not gameplay-wise) the Silph Scope seems a lot like the Foresight move (which can identify ghosts and all that, like how it was used in the anime when Ash had to go through that forest with a Hoothoot). And originally, the Johto Pokémon were going to be "newly discovered". This idea was dropped and changed to them just being "regional", however, if we ignore that and go with the original concept then I would think that the Foresight move was not yet discovered either. So people had to rely on a Silph Scope to identify ghosts but now that Foresight is known then the Silph Scope has become obsolete.
    Oh yes! thats very true, if Foresight allows you to see ghosts then the Silph scope isnt needed, so Pokemon might have had the natural ability, not humans, but then if a human had no Pokemon might they need a Silph Scope? Hmm :D
    Last edited by AntJR; 25th November 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Berry Incinerator Heatmor C. Dawson's Avatar

Simple! In the Pokemon world, people became nervous of night-vision goggles because Buffalo Bill the serial killer used a pair in The Silence of the Lambs. The movie had been banned in Kanto until just after Silph released their scope, and public backlash was so great that the company abandoned the project.

Well the ghosts in Lavender Town are special so they needed the Silph Scope, other ghosts aren't
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic61470_1.gif

Music is Fun! Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

The ghosts in Lavender Tower were probably made restless and by that Marowak spirit. I kind of saw that as a leader who told all the other ghosts to scare people away. After you defeated the Marowak, I doubt you even needed the Silph Scope anymore.

The Silph Scope was needed strictly to deal with the restless Marowak. The resident Gastly were perfectly visible without the Silph Scope.

There is a difference between dead Pokémon and Ghost-type ones. We've only seen one example of the former.

What would we use it for?
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Silph Scope was needed strictly to deal with the restless Marowak. The resident Gastly were perfectly visible without the Silph Scope.
    I think we can see only trained Gastly without the item. I remember playing FireRed and not being able to identify the wild Gastly, although the Gastly belonging to trainers could be identified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mostly because we haven't really seen literal ghosts in-battle outside of the events of Pokémon Tower.

Ghost types aren't necessarialy ghosts. Marowak and her influence in the pokémon tower, and the ghosts possesing everything in there, were literal ghosts.

As for why other pokémon (by the way, there are wild Cubone there) were being disguised as literal ghosts... Seeing that Blue somehow caught one, I'd figure they are normal wild pokémon that roam there under a disguise by the ghost, as you (obviously) can't catch dead pokémon, and that Red simply didn't encounter one because of either bad luck or coming in later when the ghosts were all over the place.

[/overexposition]

Quote Originally Posted by AntJR View Post
    To see ghosts, lol
    -_-

What ghosts? Pretty all the ghosts in the other games are see-able without the silph scope so what would be the point.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Yeah, I always just thought it was a neat trick they learnt off of the dead Marowak mother, and were helping her out since Ghost-types like to cause mischief.

Kind of. The games leave it somewhat ambiguous as to whether or not Ghost-types are dead Pokémon, even if they don't retain their former appearances as strongly as the Marowak mother did.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

perhaps the ghost types make theirselves visible now

Blog Entries

Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

Ash's Pokédex had that in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak... Gastly was disguised as a ghost but eventually the Pokédex identified it.

Anyway, my theory that I came up with just now... concept-wise (not gameplay-wise) the Silph Scope seems a lot like the Foresight move (which can identify ghosts and all that, like how it was used in the anime when Ash had to go through that forest with a Hoothoot). And originally, the Johto Pokémon were going to be "newly discovered". This idea was dropped and changed to them just being "regional", however, if we ignore that and go with the original concept then I would think that the Foresight move was not yet discovered either. So people had to rely on a Silph Scope to identify ghosts but now that Foresight is known then the Silph Scope has become obsolete.
    Last edited by Xenidal; 22nd November 2012 at 08:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast