Why are Red and Steven still referred to as champions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are Red and Steven still referred to as champions?

Blog Entries

Default Why are Red and Steven still referred to as champions?

You know Red and Steven, right? They're both listed as champions despite clearly not being them anymore.

If I recall correctly, Steven was still said to be a champion a few times in Emerald. If not, he defiantly was in HGSS. Red too, in GSC/HGSS.

They both apparently just passed on their champion role to another rather then being beaten and their role taken from them. Is that why? If you retire you still have your name as the champion when you aren't.

That makes sense.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why are Red and Steven still referred to as champions?

I have been asking myself that for a while. and especially with that noob lance. i mean if you where able to beat them than that means there no longer the champion right? but no. your not for some retarded reason i haven't found out yet. there is no way for you to defend the crown of the championship. so you just have to keep beating ash, lance, Cynthia, Steven, Wallace, and blue for some reason or other. i mean i find it dumb that even though (you me and everyone that plays these game) dethrones them there still considered the champions.

Edit: Honestly i would love it if they programed it into the game so that you must go to the E4 and defend your championship from on coming challengers. that would be idea of heaven
    Last edited by FlamingKratos; 23rd April 2010 at 12:14 PM.

It's like being President—the title stays for life.
    SoulSilver FC: 3782 1205 0348
    Platinum FC: 2879 5571 5372

I think instead of a quote, I might just start listing the number of people whose signatures contain quotes by me. My goal is to be in ALL OF THEM.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Red did take the Champion Title, and we never do figure out if anyone challenged him for that title. It always seemed to me that he left the League and remained undefeated, so then Lance stepped up.

As for Steven, it's very much the same, except it does seem that in canon Wallace doesn't replace him. What that says for Juan in the inevitable remakes is up for debate.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've always wondered about this too. I guess it's a title you have for life? Either way I also don't know why you (the player) doesn't become champion. And FlamingKratos, your idea is WIN!!
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

Well, Blue seems to stay on as champion. Maybe Red felt he had better things to do than keep the title? Perhaps Lance eventually ends up beating Blue, hence why his rematch team is better than Blue's rematch team.
    "You know that dragons are mythical Pokémon! They’re hard to catch and raise, but their powers are superior!" - Lance

Princess of Hoenn id peperit.

Blog Entries

Once a Champ, always a Chap.

If say, a great racer is beat in the next championship, his previous acomplishments aren't forgotten. And medals and prizes and stuff aren't taken. Champion is more like a status, a way to point out how good one is, not just the title itself.

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Steven killed Wallace and Lance killed Red and took their positions as champions. Turns out Wallace was in league with Archie, too. This also explains Red's odd behavior.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Pokemon SoulSilver = <3 CeruleanWaters's Avatar

Haha, I love this thread! I totally found this a bit weird as well.

Although, in HG/SS, Red is not so much referred to as "Champion" as he is "Pkmn. Trainer Red".

As for Steven, I don't follow him much. As far as it goes, if I beat 'em, who cares?

Or maybe, in HG/SS, someone has possibly challenged his throne and succeeded since he acts so depressed.

But I have no idea, since I haven't beaten Red yet on SS, so I don't know what happens after :/.

They might just be too legendary to be forgotten, therefore they are still listed as Champs.

~CeWa

Blog Entries

Just because they lost to another trainer does not mean that they still haven't achieved the title of Champion themselves. They aren't the current Champion, but they were once Champions of their respective regions.

They aren't suddenly going to stop being Champion-class trainers because they were beaten once.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Outrage View Post
    Just because they lost to another trainer does not mean that they still haven't achieved the title of Champion themselves. They aren't the current Champion, but they were once Champions of their respective regions.

They aren't suddenly going to stop being Champion-class trainers because they were beaten once.
    If I may ask, why isn't Red a Champion anymore?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
    An excellent question. It seems he left the League (can't imagine who beat him) and Lance took his spot or something. Maybe he jsut felt training was better than hanging around as a title-defender. I don't know.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Red is still called the Champion in HGSS. Not his Trainer class, but he's referred to as "the Champion from Pallet Town".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Red is still called the Champion in HGSS. Not his Trainer class, but he's referred to as "the Champion from Pallet Town".
    "The Champion from Pallet Town", eh? That doesn't sound so specific, not like Steven. It's just saying he was one of the Champion and hails from PT.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
    It's never said but we can assume, A, like it has already been stated he was beaten or B, he retired when he went to train.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTEchidna View Post
    Out of curiosity, where is this reference?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast