why was Koga made an elite four member?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why was Koga made an elite four member?

Blog Entries

Default why was Koga made an elite four member?

I had a look and I couldn't find another thread like this but I was thinking that it makes no sense that Koga was made elite four when Blaine was the obvious choice I mean although Koga had a daughter who could take over his gym Blaine had lost his gym in the cinnabar volcano and was also the more experienced trainer whereas Koga was fine where he was and didn't need a promotion as he was fine in Fuschia with his Gym and helping out with the safari zone
    Read my fanfic Tales of the Gym leader's and comment if you like or dislike it thanks

A massive thanks to Kyuujux for the amazing banner

Blog Entries

Default Re: why was Koga made an elite four member?

I believe Blaine had too much loyalty to his gym community to abandon them for bigger and better things. He enjoys setting up his puzzles, and in his Seafoam Gym he has all of his old comrades with him each step of the way, who, from their dialogue, seem to have a strong bond with him. Being an Elite Four member is a solo job, they have no cronies to fight alongside them and weed out the less-experienced trainers (the badge challenge makes sure of that) and it takes a sort of political organization I don't think Blaine would be comfortable with. He comes across as a bit of an artist, an intelligent soul who doesn't even give up when his hometown goes up in flames, and to leave the Gym circuit to join the Elites would mean forfeiting his dream of rebuilding his gym at its original site one day.

The power of one... Chosen Trainer's Avatar

I wonder if he gave the gym to his daughter. after all, in the anime, the gym leader in Canalave city, Byron, gave the Oreburgh city gym to his son, Roark. then after Koga gave it up, the league asked him to join them since blane did not have someone else to take over the gym.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Because he's a ninja. That's why.

Well, within the Adventures canon, it's probably because
    . In the games, Koga probably just wanted more money.

Blog Entries

Having your gym blown up isn't a criteria for who should be Elite 4. Wanting more money isn't criteria either. That's like saying I get promoted to manager just because I want more money :/

Being Elite 4 entails that you are one of the strongest trainers in the region (in this case, regions). Money and having your gym blown up isn't the reason for this.

How do we know exactly that Koga didn't deserve to be Elite 4 more than Blaine? I always assumed that the way the levels are set up in the Pokemon league is to make it so that the gym leader challenges the trainers appropriate to their level of strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen Trainer View Post
    I wonder if he gave the gym to his daughter. after all, in the anime, the gym leader in Canalave city, Byron, gave the Oreburgh city gym to his son, Roark. then after Koga gave it up, the league asked him to join them since blane did not have someone else to take over the gym.
    Norman was asked to take over the gym in Hoenn, and Giovanni had no one to replace him. A retiring gym leader doesn't need to find a replacement themselves, as it seems the league will supply one.

Its obvious from Koga's dialogue that he didn't give up being a gym leader so much that he was called onto the job by the Pokemon league while he was still active.

Yeah, perhaps he gave his gym to Janine, but I'm sure she still had to show she was qualified considering that they have to be given the OK to be a gym by the Pokemon League. I'm betting that he was chosen to be Elite 4 since FrLg considering that he's been training his daughter since then.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

Koga became a E4 member because ninjas are too cool to just be gym leaders. They also too cool to just be E4 member, they only cool enough to be champions. True Story.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu Shoji View Post
    Because he's a ninja. That's why.
    You sir, are a genius. GENIUS!

Anyway... Of the Kanto Gym Leaders, I strongly believe that Koga is not the strongest, but probably the smartest and most strategic. Unlike Sabrina or Blaine, who rely mostly on strong offensive, Koga is a master of techniques such as Poison, Confusion and Evasion, making him a more fit member to the Elite Four.

What really picks my interest is more the order of choosing. I mean, they had to pick replacements for Lorelei, Agatha and Lance, since the three of them left (Lorelei left not long after RBY/FrLg to take care of the Sevii Islands after TR remnants attacked it, Lance took over the role of Champion after Red quit and Agatha probably retired). But I wonder in which order were Karen, Will & Koga picked?
    =\

Blaine is too awesome to be an elite 4 memeber.

seriously though, Blaine doesn't want anything other then to have his gym back up. Blaine is a royal comrade, and not some kind of epi fail like Koga. honestly Koga does in a way deserve to be a elite four memeber, his daughter deos everything he was supposed to do, and it all works out. actually though, imo I think lt.surge should be in the elite four instead of Koga:P

I believe it was just for the sake of variety, and for having an "unexpected" type becoming an Elite Four's type, wasn't it?

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Well, I'm not really sure of the order, but I think the whole Indigo shake-up went down something like this:

Firstly, Agatha dies. This then acts as the catalyst for the following events:

1.) Red quits th league and goes to travel Johto possibly not wishing to end up like Agatha (in the E4 forever, stagnating til you kick the can). My reasoning for this is that he can't have been beaten by another trainer as they would be the champion you face, not Lance. Therefore, he quits and Lance (being the strongest member standing) takes the position as champion 'til some new trainer beats him.

2.) Lorelei, possibly moved by Agatha's passing, decides that the Sevii Islands is where she needs to be and then promptly readies her departure.

3.) This leaves Bruno, lance & Lorelei (before she leaves) with the need to organize auditions/a tournament in order to select a new E4 member. I theorize this as Will makes it very clear that he battled his way to the top. Koga is amongst one of the applicants as he not only wishes to pass the gym on to his daughter for her own sake but feels less of an attachment to the city since the Safari Zone's closure. These two, along with Karen, emerge as the three strongest candidates. The four (Karen, Will, Koga & Bruno) then battle it out for their positions.

I expect Sabrina probably applied too but was bested by Karen's Dark type, possibly factoring into her character development seen in HGSS.

I also reckon Koga was given more weighas a candidate as he trained similar pokemon Agatha (I know she was a Ghost trainer, but her team actually had more poison types in it), had gym leader experience and the similarity of tactics between Agatha & Koga (i.e. reliance on crippling the foe with status codintions, which they both like to do).

Karen was also probably given more weight as a candidate for that last reason too; they use the same tactics. Also, I theorize some familial tie between Agatha and Karen (Aunt & Niece, Mother & Daughter maybe?).

Will think was an underdog as he seems more smug & upfront about how he battled his way to the top than Koga or Karen, though there's no evidence o say that didn't do the same in-game.
    Last edited by Green Zubat; 2nd October 2010 at 08:49 PM.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

I'm assuming that power itself isn't enough to get you into the Elite Four and that they take a close look at tactics as well. Koga had tactics to spare, what with poisoning his opponents Pokemon and defeating them slowly while giving his own Pokemon ways to avoid attacks with moves like Minimize. I think he was the obvious choice for an Elite Four member since he took a different approach to battling which might have interested the Elite Four.

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because hes a mother fucking ninga thats why!

Blog Entries

GameFreak probably wanted to choose one of the later Gym Leaders, first of all, just because it'd make more "sense" than choosing someone like Brock or Erika. Giovanni was gone, of course, while they wanted Blaine to remain a Gym Leader and reside in the Seafoam Islands, to provide more "depth", for lack of a better word, of the whole eruption thing. Sabrina and Koga were about equal in terms of strength (despite Koga being listed before Sabrina among the Gym Leaders), and so for one reason or other, they decided to go with Koga.

Well, that's my theory, anyway.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

You know, considering Blaine's dialogue in HgSs, its obvious he has too much loyalty to his gym to have even accepted the offer, at least, not until his gym and Cinnabar city is rebuilt.

As for Sabrina, she outright stated she doesn't like to battle, but probably opened her gym since she is one of the few trainers with actual psychic powers and probably wanted to train others.

Blog Entries

it must be part of the politics of the Pokémon world, something along the lines of bribery or blackmailing. or maybe he's just good.
    !!! UPDATE: I'LL BE GONE FOR SOME TIME !!!
    Profile sprite by Morru Magnum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast