Why doesn't the world end when Arceus uses Judgment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why doesn't the world end when Arceus uses Judgment?

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Why doesn't the world end when Arceus uses Judgment?

Inspired by arceus-138294/">this thread

Arceus is the God pokemon that created the universe. Thus - it is supposed to be omnipotent and powerful beyond our imagination.

Then, wouldn't it mean that one simple attack of Judgment could end the world? Wouldn't it be rather dangerous to capture an Arceus and command it like you want...?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why doesn't the world end when Arceus uses Judgment?

If it's omnipotent, then I'd expect it to be in control of its own powers, and I doubt it would want the world to end while it's still in it... so, no, I don't think Arceus is gonna be ending the world any time soon.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

I always thought that Judgement only affects the thing that Arceus is useing on. In the movie, Arceus was in outrage at the thought of humanity betraying him, so he used it on the humans and the things they control around him.

hi

Because it's called Judgement not Apocalypse.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

PIS Plot Induced Stupidity
    Reila likes this.

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

Omnipotence Paradox

If Arcues is omnipotent, can he create a stone that he cannot lift? If he cannot create it, he is clearly not omnipotent but if he can and he cannot lift it, he is not omnipotent.

Just some fun mind food. Also, it doesn't end because Arcues isn't the only pokemon that knows the move Judgement, so it clearly isn't reserved for God-like entities and isn't so powerful that it would cause a planet to 'end'.

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Inspired by arceus-138294/">this thread

Arceus is the God pokemon that created the universe. Thus - it is supposed to be omnipotent and powerful beyond our imagination.

Then, wouldn't it mean that one simple attack of Judgment could end the world? Wouldn't it be rather dangerous to capture an Arceus and command it like you want...?
    Arceus was never defined to be the "God" Pokémon... he was defined to be a "god" Pokémon and there has never been any indication of omnipotence. Lots of religions / mythologies worship non-omnipotent gods.
    Also, even if he was omnipotent, he wouldn't automatically destroy the world by using Judgment, as that would be the opposite of omnipotence (i.e. he'd be launching an attack that he has absolutely no control over). And if he was omnipotent then it would be impossible for any trainer to control / command him in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabled Mocker View Post
    If Arcues is omnipotent, can he create a stone that he cannot lift? If he cannot create it, he is clearly not omnipotent but if he can and he cannot lift it, he is not omnipotent.
    That's not a paradox. A "rock that cannot be lifted" is unliftable, by its very defintion. Meaning that anyone being able to lift it would be a logical contradiction. Omnipotence (at least by its common definition) still does not allow someone to break the laws of logic -- that would not be "omnipotence", that would be "nonsense".
    Last edited by Xenidal; 27th August 2012 at 09:07 AM.

追放されたバカ

Arceus is a rubbish God. What God can be defeated by a Rattatta or Wobbuffet? Since it's banned from official play anyway I don't see why they couldn't make it much more powerful. Maybe take inspiration from the Egyptian Gods from the Yugioh series, so you could have things like Pokemon abilities have no effect on Arceus, and moves like Perish Song or Destiny Bond, have no effect on Arceus.

Also the plate idea is ok, but I think it should be similar to the anime, where Arceus can change his type at will during the match so that whenever an attack is launched against him he can turn into a type to resist it, and whenever he launches an attack he can become a type that is super effective against the opponent.

Maybe what we've been seeing is not the real Arceus at all. Maybe it's still in it's eternal sleep. I think it used Substitute and sent down a decoy. Because Arceus is a Supreme being, it's decoy is far more powerful( though beatable ) than other pokemon. That's my theory anyway.

That decoy can use judgment, but it will only be a tiny and insignificant attack when compared to the original judgment attack, which I believe, shall decide the world's fate later on, when the real arceus shall be awoken.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arceus is thought to be all-powerful, all-seeing, and have every other quality of God because that's what us westerners think when we hear of a "god" Pokemon. Really all we know about Arceus is that it created the universe and a few powerful legendaries. It's was never mention to be omnipotent. Arceus draws inspiration from the creator deities of eastern cultures. Unlike the western cultures where one god is thought to have done everything in eastern cultures many gods are thought to have had a part in shaping the universe with one in particular having started the whole thing. With this in mind Arceus resembles Kunitokotachi, Amenominakanushi, and Pangu rather than the monotheistic God. After doing their part these deities didn't do much else with popular belief stating that they slept or rested. So other than being the creator of the universe the only other thing Arceus has going for it is being a very powerful Pokemon.
    stargazer likes this.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Name Origin (from Bulbapedia):
    English: Judgment
    Japanese: さばきのつぶて (Judgment Strike)

Judgment is a concept within the Jewish belief that says that Yahweh casts judgment upon wicked people on Earth.
    So according to the context, Arceus' Judgment means the Punishment of God against the sinful human in the name of justice.
    It has nothing related to Judgement Day!

Therefore, the result is: The world will not destroy by Arceus' Judgment, but human will be wiped out from earth.

Understand?
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Though in Pokemon Conquest, it has an ability called Omnipotent -which can provide any boosts/healing/protection. Also, in Conquest, Judgment can hit ANY pokemon regardless of type. The Arceus in Conquest does not have a plate and there is Normal by default, yet its attacks go through the Mismagius at the final battle. Could this relate to Arceus being the ultimate "god" pokemon? If so, then Judgment could end the world if Arceus wants?

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

i would think Arceus has complete contol of his powers. It doesnt want to end the world, simply defeat his opponent,so he controls his powers when using Judgement. It's probably not even meant to end the world, it's simply religious symbolism which is why that attack name is used.

Also known as "Pikakirby" Wheatley's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Judgment is just one Pokemon attack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast