Why do people hate on different Generations? - Page 3

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Why do people hate on different Generations?

hi

Default Re: Why do people hate on different Generations?

I don't know many people who say "I hate this gen." and don't give any explanation. Any time I have it's just them trying to get someone to debate with someone and it's totally fine if that is the case. Also, it's hard to desribe all the problems with a game when your not sure where to start.

Any ways, I dislike fourth gen the most but I have complaints for all five generations so I'm going to post them all:
    1. The graphics are not particularly good. People like to complain about how the graphics in G/R are terrible but quite frankly, the Blue ones aren't much better (don't even freaking respond to this by showing me Mew's sprite from G/R because I actually like that sprite and I'm so tired of the bashing it gets, especially when Blue's Koffing is all messed up). I would also complain about the bad over world design but that a consistent problem throughout the entire series.
    Some of the music isn't very memorable. Okay well it is, what I mean is, a lot of the towns, cities and routes, have the same music and it makes the locations less unique by doing that. Plus, it's hard to recall the songs from your head. So many of the songs sound alike and that makes it hard to distinguish them (or that could just be me, correct me if I'm wrong). This is also sort of a problem in the other games but it's at it's worst in these games.
    The game has a ton of glitches not to mention the item and money system was poorly established. Fresh Water is just as effective as a Super Potion but yet it costs 500 less pen. There's only three methods of earning money and they all aren't very good methods.

2. The option for wild Pokemon to flee was not planned very well. Granted, it seems to only be used by certain Pokemon (to my knowledge), but it could have been better executed. For instance, Pokemon could have been made so that they could try to run away but fail. Of course, next gen they just take it out without even attempting to fix it, at all.
    They took out the Safari Zone all because of a glitch in the first games. They could have just fixed the problem but instead they opted to just remove the idea all together.
    And one of the Pokeballs they added to the game is pretty useless. Why did they add the moon ball? There are only like, four Pokemon that it works well on (there are more now but still not enough to justify it's existence) I think the use of that Pokeball could have been rethought.
    I think they should have done more with the decoration thing. They didn't really do any thing with it that would make the game more interesting, just some objects to put in your room. They could have done so much more with it.

3. These games changed everything and that's sort of it's problem. It did so many new things that it made it hard to distinguish it as a Pokemon game. Now, new things are good but just because it's new doesn't mean it's going to be that great. (I'm not going to be talking about the remakes at all in this. I feel like I don't have to and I don't really wanna bother with them.)
    The idea of having two evil organizations were great but the concept of having the ledgies be perpetual Pokemon gods, I think was too much. Ledgies aren't gods, not even Mewtwo is a god. They're just like, mythical creatures. Which is may sound strange to say that in a world of magical creatures but you know, it's like. They were the magical creatures of the magical creatures. They were the uncommon creatures in a world that to us, is full of uncommon creatures. And even the ledgies didn't seem all that great. Some Pokemon seemed like they were nearly as legendary on their own or they could become that great under the guidance of a trainer. Any ways, this rant has gone on too long.
    The trick house, while cool, seemed rather forced. It seemed like the makers needed more trainer battles and didn't know where to put them so they just put them in here. Also, it's kind of weird, not even good weird just, weird...
    The rivals weren't too engaging. They mostly just sat back and let you do your thing. I didn't even realise Wally was suppose to be your real rival till I read it on the internet. I thought it was Brendan/May, they show up more often then Wally (though they still barely do anything) and they have the other starter. But any ways, they aren't doing anything there.
    I don't think I need to explain how crazy, absurd and out right stupid Team Magma and Aqua are, do I? They want to expand the land and the sea, I feel like I shouldn't have to explain, except people keep saying that if they were on any team they'd be on one of their teams. Though mostly that's just so they can wear their outfits (seriously guys, you want a join them cause of there outfits? I- jus- I give up).
    They changed the style of the designs of the Pokemon. Personally, I think that was a bad idea. Pokemon stands out from all the other battle monster games by it's style. You change that too much and they loss their recognizability. In a world where there are thousands of series like this, that is incredibly important.
    Besides the trick house, I felt there were two many tiny mini games going about. They had the typical game corner which I think is perfectly fine and I think that e-reader thing was cool but there were a lot of other tiny things. They had all those bike puzzles. Why are bikes the key to puzzles now? They were there to make getting from point A to B faster, now they slows things down as you have to go switch bikes all the time and navigate through these obstacles on a bike. Also, the Pokeblock making machine, the growing of berries, the fishing rod thing, and don't even get me started on the Regi quest.
    What was up with all different terrain by the way? I don't know much about the region in real life but does it really have that many different ecosystems? And if it does, was it absolutely necessary to include all of them in this game? Granted, it is interesting but on the other hand it's extremely annoying. Am I the only one who doesn't like spending time in a game walking through ash or trying to get through vegetation in the rain? Because to me, that was about as fun as I figured doing that in real life would be, which isn't very. Now, some of the places did work but that was only when the routes were short. I must again ask you all something, am I the only one who doesn't like these long routes? I would rather have short routes and then a lot of towns and cities in between, because that would mean more badges and more story (which they did start to do that in fourth gen though not very much, but still).
    Also, the were two many Pokemon made just for the purpose of showing off something cool. Like Plusle, Minum, Zangoose, Serviper, Lunatone and Solrock just existing for double battles. Or Castform just there to show off weather transformation powers.

4. There isn't much to say about these game but I'm going to say a lot any ways. These games are just the worst out of this series. Though, they aren't straight up, bad games, they still are the worst put together. (Again not talking about the remakes here. Don't feel like talking about them and I don't wanna bother ether.)
    It's pretty much just copying third generation, every problem third generation has this game has times 2.
    There are way to many mini games. There are just a palooza of these mini games a minor side quests things. I know, I tried to do all of them. I mean, forget about competitive play, this the real challenge. Especially considering most of them are either really, really boring or not all that well made. Most of them are just expansions on old mini games but made even worse as they changed them so that they wouldn't be too difficult for people. I extremely dislike when video games pander to those who get easily frustrated and rage quit. Some are just static mini games that you've seen a hundred times over but have been altered to fit to Pokemon. Like, the contest are water down products of third gen's contest, the game corner game makes no sense and the underground gets boring after awhile.
    The plot is your basic overused plot. Despite what people say, this isn't a new and unique plot. I have seen tons of fictional stories about people trying to make the world perfect. Sometimes it involves destroying the world, sometimes it only means destroying the world metaphorically, either way, it's been done to death. Not to say Pokemon hasn't had generic plots before it's just when they did this in gen 1 and 2 they tried to be a little bit more, vague. They didn't out right tell you Giovanni's plan and they didn't exactly explain why Team Rocket was trying to re-band at that point in time. All you knew was that they were up to no good and you had to stop them, what and how they were going to do what ever they were going to do wasn't important.
    The music is very grating. Sometimes it's nice but the music becoming slower at the end of the day is very annoying to listen to. Slowing down music may be good as an effect but it still sounds terrible.
    The graphics are awful, even in fifth gen they aren't good. Trying to but the 2D images on 3D objects does not blend very well together. Maybe if they had a more sophisticated system but the sad truth is this is on a DS. Though, this is more a stab at the console it's on rather then the actual game. But my gosh, I keep getting distracted by these lines and pieces of sprites getting distorted. What's worse then that is the actual Pokemon sprites. These are the absolute worse, okay I think there a bit better then a few of the 1st gen sprite but at least first gen had a good reason for that. This just looks awful. Keep in mind, I'm talking about D/P. Platinum actually gave the sprites a remodel and they look a lot better now. That still doesn't excuse the bad art in those games, even the trainers looked bad there.
    Why was Cynthia always around by the way? Did she really do anything besides give you that psyduck medicine and a egg (sorry if she did more then that but I just can't remember anything she really did in this game)? You could have easily taken her out of the main plot and the game wouldn't suffer because of it. She kind of feels like Lance from generation two. But while Lance was doing something no supporting NPC had ever done before (actually fight the evil organization with the player) Cynthia just was copying Lance. I would have complained about Steven doing the same thing in gen 3 but he didn't actually intrude that much and when he did it was always for a reason.
    Again, the Pokemon seemed to be from a totally different game series and it's very noticeable. It's actually worse this time because the style is even further removed and many of them are suppose to be pre/evolutions of past Pokemon.
    The bag's have been made infinite and the poisons survivable. Those are major cases of appealing to the lazy and easy mode people that should even be playing these games in the first place. It's just, it's like the makers don't even care about the actual game any more, it's just about getting through the main story as quickly as possible.
    And why did they reintroduce time if they weren't really going to do anything with it. I get that it was trying to be like second gen but if you don't actual do stuff with time then it's pointless. I think the only things they did was made a few Pokemon available during certain times of the day (emphases on 'a few'), made some Pokemon evolve at certain times of the day for no real reason and had the restaurant open and close at certain time.
    Oh and, the routes are too long! Now, this time they did add more towns and routes but they still had the overly long routes. This time it's even worse since it's through the wetlands and snow. I live in a place where a lot of the time it's ethier raining or snowing, so I don't really want a game to emulate the pains of going through that. Seriously, who like walking through mud and a blizzard. Who?

5. Everybody always praises this game but people always seem to avoid the fact that it has most of the same problems that fourth did. It's just doing everything the previous games did. It may look pretty but it's just an illusion, there just isn't really any thing there that is new and inventive,
    The intro is horrible. Half of it's like a bad rpg intro and the other half is like an equally bad rpg intro mixed with a commercial. Seriously, what is the point of seeing N get crowned? Was anything in that half really all that interesting? Because cause, personally, the only way I would've found that interesting if N was the main character (but watching that intro knowing that he was not, it just was a boring thing). The second half is just footage from the game with random words across of it. That just looks so lazy and you could have done so many other things with it.
    They also took out poison's overworld effect. This is even worse then the surviving poison thing. This just makes poison loss one of the greatest aspects of it.
    The few things they updated are kind of lame. The seasons don't really do anything, heck, half the region doesn't even change when the seasons change. Why have seasons there if you aren't going to do anything with them? It's like when they reintroduced time, they didn't really do anything with it. The Deeling and Sawsbuck change from, a few places become available in the winter, and the Pokemon you can find changes. But it's so insignificant it might as well not be there at all.
    The story is, I'm running out of words for bad, it's not good. I keep hearing from people that's it's the best story so far but I say it's the worst (yes, even worse that third gens). Why the heck, are all these people just questioning whether having Pokemon is a bad thing? Pokemon have been around for a long time, probably even longer then human beings have and yet this is the first instance of anybody questioning this? It makes about as much sense as a whole castle being hidden underneath the Pokemon League without anybody knowing about it. Why did they have to put the castle their again, can somebody tell me? Also, if nature boy is suppose to be so smart that why can't he see through Ghetsis guise? Heck, why can nobody tell this guy is clearly evil? Does it really give off this kind and caring vibe? Even if you take away his appearance and scary theme music you still have a guy that's talks very manipulatively. I think my biggest problem is the dialogue. Nobody has a normal conversation, everything is like some big philosophical discussion, it's like the conversations in The Dark Knight. Too over analytical and just really unrealistic in terms of character development and it really doesn't work when the protagonist is a mime.
    The Pokemon are still off. It just getting worse and worse as time goes by. This isn't helped by the fact that no longer are fans judging a Pokemon based on how well designed and nice it's looks but rather by what it's type and stats are. Which is sad.
    The rivals are just meh. Bianca is like that female character that writers put into a story just to have a female character. Cheren was cool at the beginning but then he started having this existential crisis and it's just annoying. I don't care about his deep journey to discovering what he means to be strong. I already got what it means to be strong from second gen and that gen didn't need long speeches to do that. N is sort of a rival in the games. I consider him more of a rival then the other two for sure. Though he still comes of as weird. He seems to take a liken to the main character for no real reason. It would makes sense if the protagonist had a past with him or something but no, he just notices that your Pokemon actually like you and thus, thinks your the chosen one or something. Very strange.
    Mini games are still bad. I think there are less of them now though. They took out the game corner and while I would comment on how that was a bad move they really couldn't do anything about it. So long as people think game corner is truly gambling we will never see them again. The musical, I don't need to say anything, it speaks for it's self.
    Graphics are still bad. Made worse by trying to incorporate these huge 3D structures making the tiny 2D sprites look pixelated. Having to see the Pokemon sprites move all the time is distracting and it looks really bad. Especially when attacks are being used.
    Last edited by coolcatkim22; 10th December 2011 at 11:36 PM.
    Kessel likes this.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

Follow Gunaydin on Tumblr

^
    All I can say is… harsh.
    I don't mean to be rude, but if you have had that many problems with each Gen then why do you continue to play? You speak about a lot of things as if they are solid fact when they are actually, in fact, opinion.
    Saiga, Cerony, sonic10158 and 1 others like this.
    This...is Meowth's dream. Meowth strides all over the globe scattering invitations to other Pokémon, insisting they come to "Meowth's Party". At this wonderful party, guests are packed in like sardines as Meowth climbs up the stage with its faithful guitar. It strikes a chord, pauses, and then rocks their world.

I dislike specific games rather than a whole gen. For example,I believe that Gen.III is the most important one mechanics-wise,but still I dislike R/S/E for their Pokemon,Hoenn region and visuals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Gen 5 - Yes, I love this game and I enjoyed the Team Plasma arc. But... there's really not many exciting things to do post-game except leveling up your pokes...
    The Battle Subway says hi. That place is really a challenge. It would be worth it playing it in the post game.
    matt0044 likes this.

hi

Quote Originally Posted by Lumos or Nox View Post
    ^
    All I can say is… harsh.
    I don't mean to be rude, but if you have had that many problems with each Gen then why do you continue to play? You speak about a lot of things as if they are solid fact when they are actually, in fact, opinion.
    Because I believe that you should not look for the faults in the things you dislike but only in the thing you do like. For if you are to call your self a true fan of anything you must first admit that it's not perfect.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

Follow gryffindor1991 on Tumblr

Personally, I don't hate generations at all. My least favorite was generation III. It was just something about it. The anime, the games, even some of the Pokemon. I think for me it was because at the time when they RSE first came out, I only had the regular GBA (can't remember if the SP was out at the time) but I hated the regular GBA for some reason. I liked it a bit more after the SP came out though. Some of the Pokemon I just didn't like much, but they really did grow on me later on. As for the anime, during the time of the Advanced Generation, I didn't have tv, so I missed tons of it, and I was so far behind I lost interest. that may be why I don't like May or Max much, because I missed so much of them that I didn't watch enough of them to like them. Looking back at some of these reasons, they look kind of dumb, but its the best I can do to explain it..
    3ds FC: 3454-1523-2870
    Pokemon X ign: Joe
    Dark friend safari

Blog Entries

I don't hate either gens. Hate is rather a strong word to describe things. I just don't like some of them. I enjoyed Generations 1 and 2 when I was a kid. This was when Pokemon became a big fad. I enjoyed the concept, the gameplay, music, and the ability to battle and trade with friends. My older brother and I were big Pokefans at the time. When Generation 3 came, I didn't really like it that much. At the time, I didn't play it because I looked at the concept/gameplay, and I didn't find it engaging, neither did my brother. The surfing was tedious and some of the pokemon didn't look interesting. Some of them look like complete rehashes (I'm talking to you, Corphish, Seviper, and Wurmple). So we stop playing pokemon for a while. The only thing I did like about Gen 3 were the Hoenn Starters (My favorite being Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile). If I were to pick my least favorite, it would be generation 4. It was just...boring. I wish I can explain better, but I just find the story/concept/gameplay boring and tedious. Granted, It did have some Pokemon that I like, mostly the ones that are evolved forms of Gen 1 Pokemon (Magmortar, Electivire, Rhyperior, Magnezone). I do like Lucario though. I was going to lose all hope for Pokemon...that is until Generation 5 came. That sparked my interest in Pokemon again. Everything about it is what I hoped for. The concept/story/gameplay/whatever. After I played Black, I bought Soul Silver. I didn't get it then because I had a mentality that "remakes will never be as good as the originals". Boy, was I wrong. So yeah, If I had to have a list of Gens from least to greatest, It would be this:
    4, 3, 1, 2, 5

Registered Pretty Boy Wiley Willy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Most of the time if people prefer one generation over another it's simply just personal bias, which I have no problem with.
    I have no hatred for any specific generation, however I do prefer some generations over others.
    I have always loved the first three generations the most.
    Gen 1 held the original mystery of pokemon which I loved.
    Gen 2 was a HUGE game, I loved the large amount of things to do and places to visit in that game.
    Gen 3 is the source of all my favorite pokemon. Hoenn Pokemon are just my favorite.

I must admit also that I do love Gen 5, and it's simply because of the refined online interactions. Some of the pokemon are hit or miss for me in Gen 5 but everything else about the game was fun and interesting.

However game wise Gen 4 was my least favorite. The Pokemon in Gen 4 just didn't feel that exceptional, the story line was lacking and the map itself wasn't all that fun to explore. Also all the God Pokemon? Just obnoxious, I just don't like the concept of God Pokemon, it's not a religious or moral issue, it's just simply a "Doesn't make sense" issue for me.

Overall, people have their Bias's for games, that's just how it works. Some will argue strongly and be obstinate, while others are just more passive about their bias's, and then some just love every game ever made in the series.
    I don't like Gen 4, but I don't hate it.

There's a famous quote that may help you understand why people hate certain generations versus others, "Oppinions are like A** Holes, everybody has one."

WileyWilly: Normal Gym Leader; Bleak Badge "Vitality through Normality."
    Gorebyss claimed April 8th, 2012
    "Porcelina of the oceans blue(...)"

certified badass

every gen sucks trololololol

Blog Entries

Gen I - Best Gen Ever.
    Gen II - Favorite Games. Best Region.
    Gen III - Crap
    Gen IV - Yesh! Gold & Silver remakes
    Gen V - So far so good.

These are opinions. Really what Lumos was talking about was haters and you no what they say:

'' All Toasters, Toast, Haters ''

Or maybe it was '' Haters Gonna Hate '' but who cares.

Blog Entries

Because everything ever made has haters. No exceptions.
    They're best ignored.

Me personally: Every pair of games is better than the last.

I feel that the hate stems from the nostalgia factor where everyone will praise the first game they played and hate on the others.

A long time ago I didn't like Gen 3 because I felt it was a step back from what was created in Gen 2. But after awhile I realized that the hate was misplaced because if they had put in the day/night setting they would be making the same mistake they had made with Gen 2. However it was with DPPt that I got bored with Pokemon and quit for a few years. It just didn't hold my attention like the others did. I had no problem with the Pokemon that was introduced, I just wasn't intrigued with the story as much. Its why I am glad for what they did in Gen 5.

CRUSH KILL DESTROY SWAG ~AwEsOmE sAuCe305~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really hate on any generation as each has its own charm, I think I can tolerate to those who preferred this generation but doesn't like the other, it's his or her opinion. I really like the 3rd and 4th generation Pokemon despite what some ppl say about them and Gen 5 as well.

Pinkie Pie: Best Pokemon Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Z ~ View Post
    I personally was really hyped when I first read of HG/SS.
    Silver was huge thing in my childhood that I enjoyed really much so with me it's that I could return to those days. In a way.
    Sure, many things were changed, but there was still the same old feeling og the first time I picked Totodile and blasted through the game.
    Childhood...The thing that can ruin your adulthood badly. :D

I myself think I am bit obsessed with nostalgia.
    Ok, this goes off from Pokémon, but we know Crash Bandicoot games, right? God. Damn. Good. Games.
    Then it hit PS2 and went downhill by adding too much plot and stuff in it.
    I mean c'mon; when I was a kid I didn't know any english.
    As long there was one more pipe straight level or something wanting it's ass kicked; that was enough.

Of course, nostalgia affects me bit other ways too. If the games serie has been here long,
    I've usually played at least one game of the serie. For example; Resident Evil.
    They say game's gone downhill for good, but I still enjoy playing the old games.
    Even the DS remake Deadly Silence...I think it's cool.
    ^A good explanation that sums it up nicely.

LOL the OP's really asking some serious questions here. I'll do my best to answer.

Personally, I have to say I don't CURRENTLY hate any generation. Back in the day I hated Gen 3 and it led me to stop playing the games for a number of years and I only just started again last year a few months before Gen 5 started. The main thing back then was of course the exclusion of so much of the old stuff, but the huge disappointment that came towards the end of Ruby and Sapphire when it was clear there would be no second or third region to explore. I spent the entire game looking forward to that and didn't get it. Now i'd put up with the loss of my old pokemon, the fact that I couldn't possibly get them back, the fact that legendaries were now version exclusive and a slew of other things. I did this because I thought i'd be rewarded in the end. I wasn't and the that fact really just crushed me. So I played though the rest of the gen and then just quit.

Looking back now, being older and wiser and all that, I can look at it a bit more objectively and see the Gen's good points and separate them from its faults. The games were good. Brand new story line, tons of new ideas, amazing graphics (Still the best we've had in my opinion), etc. I don't really hate any of the generations now. I'm simply able to look at them objectively and recognize the flaws in each and the things I like.

With nostalgia, who isn't effected by it? I mean, as Z pointed out with Crash Bandicoot, if you played a game and enjoyed it when you were younger it'll always have a special meaning to you. So if you played Gen 2 and loved it then you'll feel nostalgic about it and remember all the good times whenever you played it. I think the point where nostalgia becomes a bad thing is when people use it as the only reason they like the game or when others accuse people of it.
    ~ Z ~, matt0044 and StaraptorEagle like this.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

I'm not a fan of Gen 3 but I wouldn't say I hate it. The map was confusing - not in the sense that I couldn't understand it but it seemed random, the routes took too long to get through/required too many HMs and I just found it boring.
    ~ Z ~ likes this.

Currently Playing: X; 7 Badges;
    Delphox (Lv 65) - Vivillion (Lv 65) - Blastoise (Lv 65) - Pangoro (Lv 66) - Amaura (Lv. 69) - Sylveon (Lv. 66)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast