Why do people hate on different Generations? - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate on different Generations?

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do people hate on different Generations?

Why did everyone hate the Water routes in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald? I thought they were great.

The only problem with Gen V for me so far is I found that the post-game was lacking, but as said before Grey should fix that up hopefully.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Plus the plot isn't an important factor to make Pokemon good because Nintendo games usually have lackluster plots but fantastic gameplay. It goes to show that these type of fans are looking at the wrong perspective.
    Hey, it's all just opinion. While I don't exactly love Black and White's plot, it shows potential and it isn't bad as there were certain parts I really enjoyed like N, Team Plasma and some more. Hell, I'm writing a fanfic for the purpose of releasing said potential (wish me luck). I'd just say that Black & White's plot could've been better but due to time and limited memory in the DS cartridges, GF had to cut a few corners here and there.

I can understand "disinterest" but "hate" is a bit strong. But, you know, it's all just individual opinions.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I guess there's a lot of factors that make people hate some generations...

Gen 1 - I think it's because of the bad graphics and glitches
    Gen 2 - while it has an awesome storyline with the longest quest ever, it needed Kanto to complete the story, and there were hardly any sidequests.
    Gen 3 - I don't know why people hate it - I love Hoenn!
    Gen 4 - I don't know about DPPt, but HGSS didn't have much sidequests included enough to make an impact.
    Gen 5 - Yes, I love this game and I enjoyed the Team Plasma arc. But... there's really not many exciting things to do post-game except leveling up your pokes...

Moon Princess Kaori's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kaori on Tumblr

As others have said, nostalgia-fuelled hate is common. People think "their" gen is the best quite a lot until they can look at things objectively.

I have my favourites but I'm not one to pick things apart too much; I think each gen has its own charms and there's very little point hating/complaining without offering any real improvements for future games.

[12:40:02 AM] Karamazov: I call Kaori the chick who could crush me under her tits

~ Proud Head of Entertainment, Inc.~

I don't hate any generation, but I do dislike generation III (RSE) for the obvious reasons, such as being incompatible with Gens I and II, a lot of my favorites not appearing in the games and in order to use them you had to fork over money for the GC games or FR or LG, the water routes which requires repels to swim through so that way you won't be constantly bugged by wild water types. I honestly thought they were starting all over again and were only using the few veteran Pokemon that made it into the games while the unlucky ones who didn't make it were never to appear again. :(

I am not going to say I completely dislike Gen III! I thought the Pokemon were awesome and the starters and legendaries did not disappoint me! The soundtrack was great as I could listen to it over and over again! :D The villanous team of the region was also quite memorable.

Sadly, I used to be one of those who had nostagia-fueled hate, but over the past few years I saw how silly it was and was able to get passed it.

My least favorite games would have to be RSE though. I didn't find any of the starters all that appealing (though I have grown to like Sceptile), didn't really care for a lot of the new pokemon that gen, and overall I find myself having to force myself through those games more than any of the others of the series. I REALLY like the concept of the two opposing teams, but I thought the motives of Magma and Aqua were relatively stupid.

DPPt I like better than RSE overall, but it still had some places that could have been better. I liked the starters MUCH more in DPPt, but the legends and new pokemon of RSE were better overall. I also liked Galactic better than Magma and Aqua. My main reason for liking DPPt more than RSE, is that I found the games overall more enjoyable and easier to play.

BW, in my opinion, easily has the best in-game story of the series, and I consider to be far better than RSE and DPPt. I also loved many of the new pokemon this gen, though I will admit that the starters were somewhat disappointing, mainly in type combination though. However, BW is incredibly lacking of post-story content, but as many of you have already said, that will hopefully be remedied in Grey. I suppose RS and DP were similar, compared to Emerald and Platinum.

Now for the originals, RBY/FRLG and GSC/HGSS. I will probably always hold these higher than new generations, since I am still a sucker for nostalgia (though that doesn't mean I won't like or play new gens). Many say RBY/FRLG is too simple, but I honestly love the simplicity. I've replayed gen 1 more times than I care to count. GSC/HGSS will also always be favorites of mine, one big reason is simply that the game is just much longer than the other games. I also really like the simple designs of the pokemon of these generations. I do like some of the more complex designs of newer pokemon, but sometimes they are just taken too far (Arceus and Creation Trio).

With all of the said, I do not dislike or hate any generation, they all have their good and bad sides.
    Last edited by Sir Turtlelot; 9th December 2011 at 01:07 PM.

I really never understood the hate for any of the gens. None of the series would be the same without it.
    And for the record, Gen III is among my favorites, because it has the most Pokemon I like (Milotic, Metagross, Absol, Banette, Flygon, Cradily, on and on), and it had a pretty good plot. And it had Archie. Whom is best character of all. *cough*

But, yeah, as all people have put it, complaints about nostalgia and all that jazz. If I had to pick my least favorite is the 4th gen Sinnoh, but I still loved it. I just think the designs and region design were less interesting, but the plot and evil team were great.

1st gen obviously holds nostalgia and still stands out as amazing for its time. The Pokemon and the characters are original, because they're the first. Who doesn't love Dragonite, Gengar, Starmie, and Arcanine? Who doesn't love the old, badass Giovanni?
    2nd gen is basically the same, Kanto plus a whole new world we live in, herp derp. Battling Red on Mt. Silver? Still gives chills to many a player.
    I'm burning up with my hatred for you, runt!

Claims: Pyroar and Overheat

Blog Entries
    Follow AlexTheRose On Twitter
    Visit AlexTheRose's Youtube Channel

Arrow Re: Why do people hate on different Generations?

It's just that people are too attached to the generation that brought them into Pokémon to handle any sort of reboot afterward. There's plenty of Generation I fans who despise Generation III for being an "unsuccessful reboot". There's also many Generation III fans (including namely myself) who wholely hate Generation V because it was considered by them to be another "unsuccessful reboot".

This is my general understanding of avid Pokémon fans brought in by (re)boots, and uncomfortable with further reboots. It happens to all of us from what I can tell. Go figure I guess.
    —AlexTheRose

The PokéSphere Forums!

Blog Entries

In terms of anime, after a great showing in Generation 3 and 4's sagas, the very different approach in Generation 5's saga would be a turn-off by some people. I think this has got to do with how those fans hold on to what was the best parts of those two Generations (Advanced Generation and Diamond & Pearl), which are Contest arcs, Pokemon with personalities and Ash being a great tactician (Brock still being around is a good thing). Generation 5 has so many different things that there are fans pointing out how that saga is worse than others, although there are fans who still enjoy what they have to offer. The common things about Generation 5's anime run that put fans off are: Ash catching too many Pokemon, Ash not being the tactician he was, Ash using type disadvantages against the opponent (yes, there are people who are put off by this), Trip not being an interesting rival, Iris being a controversial character overall, and the episodes felt the lack of emotion or quality compared to the last. I would say that these complaints are still going on, so don't be surprised to see someone here peeved at the anime based on one of these reasons. Before this, Generation 2's run through Johto was thought to be poorly-paced, as there were a lot of filler spread out and Ash's team wasn't used properly, so you can say that anime fans didn't look at Generation 2's anime run highly.

Long story short, Generation 2 and 5 has their haters in terms of the Pokemon anime.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

I don't hate any generations, I love the series as a whole. That's not to say I don't have pet peeves associated with each, but then no generation is flawless.
    In fact the one thing that annoys me just as much as people bitching about minor issues within generations, is them declaring a particular generation "perfect". IMHO so far, none of the titles are deserving of that description. I like to think the series has a lot of improving to do, and I look forward to it.

Crazy Automaton Lady Silverwynde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Black and White's story has potential to be better so I'll leave it to Gray to flesh things out. Besides, we're still a long way until Gen 6. Plus, I know a lot of people on Youtube and Serebii and more have praised Gen 5 so far. I like it too and I feel like I'm one of the few on this site who truly does. It has flaws but I can look pass them easily most of the time.
    I love Gen V. Outright love it. This is my favorite Gen so far... and I was sitting on the fence last year when I saw some of the first new Pokemon!

I can honestly say that I don't hate any Gen. I enjoy them all. I've had a lot of fun in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova and loved every second of it. What I don't like is the blind nostalgia. If you hit Pokememes, you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not the Gens I hate, it's the whole "The new Pokemon suck and are crap!" statements that I see constantly. That irritates me to no end.

Like I've said, even though I love all Gens, Gen V is my favorite. Why? It gave me my two favorite Pokemon and helped me respect some types that I had never used before. I wasn't fond of pure Fighting types, but now I love my Sawk like you wouldn't believe. Ghost types? They were untouched by yours truly until a certain pair of Ground/Ghost types wandered into my life. (Oh Golett and Golurk, you are so awesome and I love the both of ya!)

In all truth, I don't hate the Gens, it's some of the haters that bug me.

I ♥ my female Bisharp.
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.

The only Generation I don't like is Gen V. It might be because I haven't given it a good shot, or because it's too different. Or maybe because I'm playing Ruby right now and comparing White to it all the time...which seems unfair.

...I doubt any of that made sense, but in a nutshell, it's all about opinions. And when you deal with fanboys like me, we tend to get a bit irrational and love things we love too much and hate on things we don't like too much :D

Help me hatch my first egg :3

Meh...This is gonna be REALLY used line, but "I don't "hate" any generation."
    But here are some things I don't like on the games:
    NOTE: ...Try to keep in mind that these are MY opinions and basically only things I dislike on the games.

GEN I:
    - I understand the games "back then" had that look in their style, graphics wise I mean, but I've never been that big fan of oldie graphics.
    It just looks boring, and some sprites are just...hideous.

GEN II:
    - Even though there's new region the whole thing just feels...small...I mean...let's face it, kanto was already kinda small and it's even smaller in this updated game.
    - Lot's new physical attackers, but not moves to go with their stats, like Sneasel and Feraligatr.

GEN III:
    - It's...just...Boring...

GEN IV:
    - Lack. Of. Fire. Types.

GEN V:
    - Too easy

Available in late 2015! Pepsi Perfect's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Pepsi Perfect on Tumblr

While it's true, that I also don't exactly hate a generation, I suppose if I did, it'd be because of the haters.
    And, I honestly don't have any opinion on Gen V. At all. This is because I am yet to play, but I think this is better than "Gen V sucks, Gen I rules!!!11". While I myself am a very big sucker for nostalgia, I try to not let it cloud my judgement. I will get BW when I can; however I will mostly likely wait until Grey has been released and get that.

So I suppose I could also ask why exactly people let their nostalgia obsession cloud their judgement, and why you think it's wrong. Or, if you are for nostalgia obsession, try to make us see your side of it. Because I personally think that it is very relevent to the topic already at hand, and serves the purpose of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumos or Nox View Post
    So I suppose I could also ask why exactly people let their nostalgia obsession cloud their judgement, and why you think it's wrong.
    I personally was really hyped when I first read of HG/SS.
    Silver was huge thing in my childhood that I enjoyed really much so with me it's that I could return to those days. In a way.
    Sure, many things were changed, but there was still the same old feeling og the first time I picked Totodile and blasted through the game.
    Childhood...The thing that can ruin your adulthood badly. :D

I myself think I am bit obsessed with nostalgia.
    Ok, this goes off from Pokémon, but we know Crash Bandicoot games, right? God. Damn. Good. Games.
    Then it hit PS2 and went downhill by adding too much plot and stuff in it.
    I mean c'mon; when I was a kid I didn't know any english.
    As long there was one more pipe straight level or something wanting it's ass kicked; that was enough.

Of course, nostalgia affects me bit other ways too. If the games serie has been here long,
    I've usually played at least one game of the serie. For example; Resident Evil.
    They say game's gone downhill for good, but I still enjoy playing the old games.
    Even the DS remake Deadly Silence...I think it's cool.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast