Why do people hate on different Generations?
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate on different Generations?

Available in late 2015! Pepsi Perfect's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Pepsi Perfect on Tumblr

Default Why do people hate on different Generations?

Every other day, I see people hating on random Generations;
    "Gen I is useless!"
    "Gen III is crap!"
    "Gen V is unoriginal!"
    Ect, ect.
    The most annoying thing about this is that most people just hate and don't state their reasons for flaming. I don't understand all this random hating. I've seen people stating that they like a certain Gen, or it was their favorite or whatever, and then some other person randomly flaming about their "stupid choice".

So, the point of this thread is to state if a Gen is your least favorite, or you dislike it and why.
    Debates are welcome but please try to keep things civil.

EDIT: You are also welcome to discuss the topic of nostalgia-obsession, as it is more than relevent.
    Last edited by Pepsi Perfect; 10th December 2011 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Why do people hate on different Generations?

I honestly really dislike Generation IV. Not for the Pokemon - I actually kind of regret not being able to experience the Pokemon that I do like in the games. But I really couldn't stand Dawn's skirt (WHY IS IT SO SHORT) and just...the game in general. I bought Pearl and couldn't finish it cause I was so bored by it. Then I started it again and forced myself to finish it and it was just like...meh. IV is the only one where I was out of the loop the entire generation.
    "Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the pomegranates are in bloom - there I will give you my love."

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't really hate a generation, but I can pinpoint more or less flaws in them. Such as Gen. I being glitched and extremely clunky for the standards of its contemporary games. (then again, it's said development took a long time, so perhaps "contemporary games" would be older ones than when it was released)

It's not old, I love games that are far older for inferior systems. And as a concept itself and ultimately it was awesome... but its execution wasn't precisely the best. (Which on the other hand makes its success all that more impressive)

Pokémon creation and balance was made on the fly, there were plenty of human mistakes (such as giving the wrong value to a variable), there was an absurd lack of polish in everything (anything involving the PC storage in general is a pain) and bad development decisions (LET'S CRAM THE WHOLE THING IN 512KB! No wonder they upgraded as soon as they could)

But the one that appealed less to me was Generation IV. For me, it just was a Generation 3.5. It didn't suppose a big enough change to the formula, nor a rehash nor polish. The changes it did introduce affected mostly (and massively) the fandom, what with the games going online. But the game itself was mostly the same.
    So it simply didn't appeal to me that much because I didn't use at all the thing the games revolved around.

For perspective: Generation V is also loaded with flaws and in a very rough state, and similarly feels like a 4.5, but it is my favorite one because the stuff it did does appeal to me.

[/overexposition]

I can happily say that I don't hate any generations.
    I'm the essence of
    daydreamer. time-waster. black and white painter.
    in an upside-down world.
    eyes closed. dreams unfold. ascending realities; open to me.

Friend code: 1306-6423-3472 | Friend safari: Flying | Instagram: themuslimvegan|

I think it's very simple : People have different opinion. Someone can say " Gen I rocks, the pokemons are epic" while another person can say " No, Gen I sucks, the graphics and the pokemon are bad....".
    Anyway, I played from Gen I to Gen IV and I liked them, more or less. The Pokemon, the characters, etc... I didn't play to Gen V yet so can't say anything about it. But I don't hate any generations.
    C:\Users\djamila\Pictures\Pokecard

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Initially, I disliked Generation III because it wouldn't let me send over my hard-trained team from Generation II. Now that my Generation I and II games have crapped out on me, I don't really care about that anymore, so the later Generations have grown on me.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

I don't really "hate" any, but Generation I is my least favorite. I just don't really care for any of the towns there. Except Lavender town. I do like that one. But that's pretty much my only reason though.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Gen 1: Glitches, type imbalance/lack of diversity, basic designs
    Gen 2: Frustrating to level grind, the rest of the new Pokemon only available post-story, and very little side-quests
    Gen 3: Started a borderline on the gen wars, lack of day/night system, can't transfer older Pokemon from GB games to GBA, too many water types
    Gen 4: Lack of fire type diversity, Pre-Platinum dex, Stealth Rock
    Gen 5: Pretty much everything about it (story, features, etc.)
    Series: Questionable dual types, poor stat/movepool distributions

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

Most hate I see without reasoning is nostalgia blinded hate. Which the most retarted form of hate. <_<

Personally I dislike Generation II the most. It had amazing potential that was barely tapped. It had the longest quest fullfiling game, yet it felt so empty. Plus there wasn't much variety in Pokemon, plus it relied way to much on Generation I.

HGSS came along, it really didn't fix those problems. It just sprinkled the game with Gen III & IV Pokemon. And some minor subplots.

I have my problems with every generation. Looking back, Generation I was to simple, but that was understandable and somewhat is sort of a double edged sword. It pokes simplicity in a good and bad way.

Gen III was horrible only because it cut from Gens I and II in an unexpected way, that expirience was horrible for many. Plus those water routes. But it's what set the game as we know it today and it brought a great collection of new Pokemon to the Pokedex.

Gen IV. Those games sometimes got hard to stomach, and part of the Pokedex additions seemed questionable. But the human characters, story and mythology where superb in my opinion.

Gen V is almost perfect to me. They've becomed my favourite games, most of the Pokemon and all of the humans. Plus I simply adore the mythology. But some of the Pokemon..OMFG. WHAT THE HELL?!

Also how it sets itself apart way to much from the past four games. That new beggining has me quite worried about the future of the franchise. <_<

But yeah, give logical reason why you dislike something. It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Gen 5: Pretty much everything about it (story, features, etc.)
    Weird. A lot of people love Gen 5 yet others hate everything about it. I mean, sure it's not perfect but I don't think it's god awful as some would say. I like the story even if it wasn't too fleshed out and a lot of Pokemon grew on me. Just wait until Gray comes out. The third version is usually the improved one.

And why is it that I feel like I'm the only one who like Gen 4?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Weird. A lot of people love Gen 5 yet others hate everything about it. I mean, sure it's not perfect but I don't think it's god awful as some would say. I like the story even if it wasn't too fleshed out and a lot of Pokemon grew on me. Just wait until Gray comes out. The third version is usually the improved one.

You're not the only one. I've only listed the things the majority would considered flaws for each gen, and based on how everyone here feels about Gen 5, I included everything BW had to offer.

I just didn't care for the Pokemon in Gen IV...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    You're not the only one. I've only listed the things the majority would considered flaws for each gen, and based on how everyone here feels about Gen 5, I included everything BW had to offer.
    Black and White's story has potential to be better so I'll leave it to Gray to flesh things out. Besides, we're still a long way until Gen 6. Plus, I know a lot of people on Youtube and Serebii and more have praised Gen 5 so far. I like it too and I feel like I'm one of the few on this site who truly does. It has flaws but I can look pass them easily most of the time.

With Pokemon, it's a case of "Love It or Hate It" where there's little to no middle ground when it comes to fanboys and fangirls. But what do you expect?

I just didn't care for the Pokemon in Gen IV...
    That's okay.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I like Gen. IV too. Platinum version just totally redeemed D/P for me. Is HG/SS included in Gen. IV? Because if it is, then Gen. IV is actually my favorite. Platinum just felt like it had so much to do, and I LOVED being able to rebattle the gym leaders in a convenient way. If HG/SS are indeed included as well, HG is my favorite game in the series, because the towns are gorgeous, Johto is a fantastic region, Silver is EPIC, and I thought HG/SS had the best music, improving over the original G/S.

But anyway, people hate on different generations because some people just feel like their word is the word of God, and is absolute. Like nobody else can disagree, but their opinion is FACT. Friendly arguments that aren't personal over generations is totally fine and fun, but the ones who get all offensive about it are just trolls. Go on YouTube, and you'll see a TON of them on practically every Pokemon video game related video.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Black and White's story has potential to be better so I'll leave it to Gray to flesh things out. Besides, we're still a long way until Gen 6. Plus, I know a lot of people on Youtube and Serebii and more have praised Gen 5 so far. I like it too and I feel like I'm one of the few on this site who truly does. It has flaws but I can look pass them easily most of the time.
    Plus the plot isn't an important factor to make Pokemon good because Nintendo games usually have lackluster plots but fantastic gameplay. It goes to show that these type of fans are looking at the wrong perspective.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast