Why do certain Pokemon only evolve when they're traded?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Why do certain Pokemon only evolve when they're traded?

Blog Entries

Default Why do certain Pokemon only evolve when they're traded?

This has always bugged me. I mean, I get the practical reason behind it. It's just a way of encouraging players to trade with other people, just like the version-exclusives. But as far as I know, there's never really been an in-world explanation. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Default Re: Why do certain Pokemon only evolve when they're traded?

Because those Pokémon want a fresh new start and hate their old trainer or something I don't know.
    metalamor likes this.

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

to promote trading.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    to promote trading.
    Thread is about possible in-world reasons. I already said the practical reason was to encourage trading.

Blog Entries

well, I can't think of any other reason.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
    Thread is about possible in-world reasons. I already said the practical reason was to encourage trading.
    There is no logical reason. It makes no sense in-universe. There was no explanation given in-universe. Just like a lot of things. So instead we will proceed to develop illogical reasons in this thread.

500 years ago, some guy named Alan the Barbarian of China (ABC) wanted to enslave a bunch of black people in order to build an ice cream factory for his kids. So he went to Africa to capture the black people, but all he found were a bunch of animals. These Pokemon were the ancestors (not-so-ancient ancestors to be exact) of all the Pokemon that now evolve through trading. Thinking "what the hell" he took them and proceeded to use them. Now, Captain Native America did not take too kindly to this, and his native sense triggered. Yes, from halfway across the world.

So he flew through the center of the Earth to confront Mr. ABC. After they fought each other in Mortal Kombat, ABC turned into a giant dragon, which was promptly killed by the armies of the Buddah. The Pokemon having been freed, this brought on such a sense of euphoria that it proceeded to cause them to evolve on the spot. As for those who only hold items when they evolve, well, they were so used to working with certain flavors (ABC made many flavors) that it became a tradition of sorts to destroy the things that went into them or use them as weapons. Hence, why the items disappear after trading (because they infuse with them).

Several hundred years later, a device to do this manually was created, but because there had to be motion for it to work and they also had to go from one person to another it was built into trade machines.

See? Not so hard. Just think of stuff and type it as it comes to mind. Then we'll have a bunch of explanations in lieu of an official one or one "that makes sense" (really, 9/10 fan theories suck, so we may as well go all out for the hell of it).

EDIT: Because GrnMarvl13 doesn't like me, I'll clarify that the whole "taken from a bad trainer and evolved due to euphoria then it became tradition to evolve when changing hands whether it was from a bad trainer or not" thing does indeed make some sense. If we assume something like that happened. Even in silliness, there's backing. I still think many fan theories are stupid, though. Including this one.
    Last edited by System Error; 12th January 2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Don't know what to put here.

PDL

The closest thing the anime has done with trade evolutions is that Pokémon that evolve with a hold item need to be in contact with the item for a long time for it to trigger evolution, kind of like a delayed evolution stone.

No "canon" explaination has been given for ones that don't need an item though.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

IT'S A CLEMUSKETEER!!! IslandWalker's Avatar
    Guatemala, the country full of COD-obsessed bullies.
    Blog Entries

Hmm... Nice question. Maybe something in the artificial trade machine stimulates a growth gene and they evolve? I don't know about items...

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was thinking maybe these are unique species who respond to a certain type of radio wave or something that trade machines emit.

IT'S A CLEMUSKETEER!!! IslandWalker's Avatar
    Guatemala, the country full of COD-obsessed bullies.
    Blog Entries

I think that is the only logical explanation. As for items, the item and the trade machine create a chemical that triggers evolution.

Blog Entries
    Follow Takoto On Twitter
    Follow Takoto on Tumblr

Maybe trading them forces them to evolve or something? That... probably doesn't make sense to anyone but it does to me...

~Giovanni Fan|★|Silver Fan~
    ★ An Illustration student from the UK; with a particular love of black tea, cats, deer, jellyfish, octopus, moths and the colour purple ★
    ♥ Umbreon, Gardevoir, Drifloon, Joltik, Gengar, Malamar ♥ Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Darkrai, Xerneas ♥
    ~ DeviantArtTwitterTumblr ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWalker View Post
    Hmm... Nice question. Maybe something in the artificial trade machine stimulates a growth gene and they evolve? I don't know about items...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking maybe these are unique species who respond to a certain type of radio wave or something that trade machines emit.
    I actually considered that, but the flaw in that argument is that we've seen examples of Trade Evolution Pokemon in the anime that presumably predate the invention of the Trade Machine, like the ancient, giant Alakazam and Gengar from that one episode early on in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Takoto View Post
    Maybe trading them forces them to evolve or something? That... probably doesn't make sense to anyone but it does to me...
    Trading them does force them to evolve. The question is, why?

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's some mystical in-game talk about trading. Namely the braille thing in the ruins that talks about friends exchanging power.
    Considering the nature of the relation of trainers and pokemon, I'd say trading itself could have some spiritual implications of some sort.

In the case of Porygon, it probably is as simple as rebooting or something for its new trainer and installing the upgrades while it's at it.

Blog Entries
    Add Miya902 on Facebook

I remember in the Anime, Misty's Poliwhirl evolved into poliwag just by holding the King's Rock, she never traded it.. so I think its just for the Video Games and doesnt actually happen in the "Pokemon World"

Edit: Youtube of episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VppaijxCy0

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

This is pretty much what IslandWalker said:
    Maybe the Pokemon has some sort of hidden gene/chemical within it that triggers when it senses that a trade is about to take place.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast