Why can almost everything learn Toxic? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Why can almost everything learn Toxic?

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Default Re: Why can almost everything learn Toxic?

Toxic was supposedly the very first TM ever created. In Gen I Koga says something about ti being the oldest known Pokemon move. Maybe since it was the first move, all Pokemon have it encoded in their DNA.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Whoa...I didn't know so many Pokémon could learn Toxic, I thought just poison and grass types... You know, this reminds me of something I thought of a long time ago...I made up my own Pokémon game and I made up a move called Achoo, which is basically toxic snot lol. The only Pokémon that could learn it were Cubchoo, Nosepass, Probopass, Diglett, Dugtrio, Wobbuffet and...Magikarp. lol Ok, back to the topic, I agree with everyone's theory that it's toxic spit. The end.

Every living creature produces waste.

Blog Entries

Look at the first generation and the TM moves that practically everything can learn, since there was no breeding for egg moves to go along with very few level up moves they needed to widen the movepools somehow. Toxic has been a TM since way back then so it kind of just stuck as a universal move. Personally I question the learning of moves like Thunderbolt on Pokemon that have no affiliation with electricity whatsoever. You can't tell me that it's just static or something, they literally emit lightning bolts from their bodies.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Well, the only Pokemon that learn Toxic naturally are all Poison Pokemon (except Vespiquen). Since you have to use a TM, you give the Pokemon you taught Toxic to a needle heavily dipped in poison, which they then toss at their opponent during battle.
    While I'm not sure about the needle bit, the role of the TM in letting a Pokemon do what it cannot do "naturally" (level up?) may have something to do with it. After all, nothing about say, a Nidoqueen's anatomy suggests she could breathe fire or discharge electricity, but perhaps TMs actually modify the bodies of Pokemon, enabling them to do so? In that case, the Toxic TM may trigger the production of poisons in non-poisonous Pokemon.

Though the way TMs work is still something of a mystery, I'm pretty sure whatever they do to the Pokemon's body is responsible for the huge number of Pokemon that can learn Toxic.
    I'd never thought about this issue, or how TMs in general work, a lot, actually. However, I like this idea of modification. I think it might also be to do with the fact that, as another poster said, Toxic is a very old TM (400+ years, according to Koga), so the people who make TMs have had a lot of time to refine it to make it work for all Pokemon, and/or Pokemon have had a lot of time to learn/be taught to use it.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

I like the modification theory, but also the Rabies one... Can't decide... I'll take the modification theory.

maybe all pokemon can generate poison

Follow Combusken on Tumblr

Default Re: The confusion regarding Toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaustic View Post
    I'm an advocate of the theory that Toxic is Poke-vomit.
    Kinda like this?

I was just about to post that!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123